Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Android Tablets (was Galaxy Tab)

Net netflix interface launched today for Android tablets. This is the first launch I have see by a large company with the note "iPad will need to wait a few weeks to get the new interface". I am guessing it's because the Amazon Fire launches today.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/15/n...ndroid-tablet/

Bought Michelle a Kindle Fire for her Bday this week. Good reader for the price. It compares well to the Nook color I had early this year but it's much smoother and has better specs. Personally I prefer my 10 in tablet with every bell and whistle but for $199 its hard to beat.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/18/fly...C8GiF0G9LgrF5J

The Top 10 movies in the Android market are 99 cent for the next two weeks.

I got my mom a Kindle Fire for X-mas, haven't played with it yet though. Let me know if you find anything cool to do on it.

Kindle Fire is pretty good stock. It will only come with the Amazon App store that is small in comparison to the actual Android Market. Your Mom will probably find everything she needs in the app store but you do have the ability to install any app with a work around. If you can't find something you know she will like hit me with a email and I can send you the app (you transfer it with usb and install).

Looks like some really good cheap tablets coming this year.

ASUS MeMo $250 Quad Core tablet (Nvidia Tegra 3)

By now, you hopefully already know about the ASUS MeMO 370T. On paper, the MeMO 370T is a spec’d out 7-inch slate that features nVidia’s powerful Tegra 3 quad-core system on a chip. This tablet screams top-of-the-line, yet ASUS will offer the tablet to consumer for $250. Why would they price this thing so low, you ask?

In short, ASUS simply gets it. They understand that consumers want tablets, perhaps to even replace their laptops, but they don’t want them at laptop prices. Instead, consumers largely see tablets as cooler netbooks, and are looking to spend between $200 and $400 on these devices. Of course, the $500 and up iPad/iPad2 have bucked this tradition, but Apple has a long history of pricing themselves at the very high end of the market (or above), and still selling a multitude of devices to their fanbase.

The biggest reason Android tablet sales haven’t taken off is because they’ve been priced to compete with iPads instead of netbooks. Amazon proved this when they launched the Kindle Fire, the $200 eReader tablet hybrid that in 2 months has sold as many or more units than all previous Android tablets combined. HP’s Touchpad tablets sold out in minutes when they were dropped to $100-150 in HP’s inventory eliminating fire-sale. The $250 Nook Tablet has proven no slouch either, making Barnes and Noble’s nook line one of their most profitable divisions.

In order for tablet makers (including Apple) to compete, they’re going to have to continue to offer tablets for less, a point ASUS has certainly taken to heart with the MeMO 370T. The launch of the MeMO 370T was likely the biggest and best surprise of CES 2012, and we’re happy to see companies starting to offer powerful tablets at incredibly affordable prices. We hope to see this trend continue; in fact, we think it has to continue if Android tablet sales are ever going to take off.

Source

Mint.com came out with their tablet version for Honeycomb and ICS yesterday. It's a really nice app. Get it here (remote over the air install).:Mint

Mint.com is the best personal finance site IMO. It connects to all your account and does a really good job of putting your expenses into categories.

Damn, you need to spend more on entertainment.
    Boondock

If you scroll up a few posts you will see the Asus Memo I posted about in Feb.... Google like it so much they paid Asus to make it into the Google 7 tablet (July release) for $199 plus a $25 credit to the google play store.

Last edited by Klaus; 06-29-2012 at 10:01 AM.