Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Android Smart phones

Oooh! I have Sprint! And I"m up for a new phone.

As much as Luke and I should do a "share plan" or whatever they're called now, I'm still on a plan with my dad and reupped my contract for 2 years back in January. Cwap.

But I am eligible for a new phone. And I currently loath my phone with the fury of a thousand suns ... because its got the slowest damn CPU in it EVAR.

I did see the HTC Evo as well as the Desire. Both are very cool phones that I'm excited to see.

I am STILL wanting to see the Xperia X10. Problem is, I'm worried that these phones are going to cost more than 200 dollars.

As soon as my plan is done here (or maybe sooner since I'm "eligible" for a new phone) I'll look in to a new phone again. I'm definitely not pleased with mine.

And yes, I will be forever known as Naya -.-

I really liked the X10 but it looks like it's got some serious issues.... I would go with a HTC phone personally.

Sony Ericsson's flagship Android smartphone, the Xperia X10, has been plagued by laggy performance since we first laid eyes on it, but that won't always be the case; the company has confirmed repeatedly that upgrades (including a newer Android OS version) will come. However, it now seems that multitouch is not in the cards. "There's no multitouch in X10 – and I also can confirm that it's not only related to [software] but also to [hardware],"
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/28/x...dware-related/

First look at the Sprint HTC Evo - still looks like the Android phone to beat this summer.

I did read a similar article about the X10 experiencing lag and touchscreen issues. I'm surprised that a phone like that would experience such problems regardless of the CPU. And it looks like hardware is also part of the problem.

After seeing videos of the HTC Evo, and reading more about HTC in general, it definitely looks like the brand of phone I want to go with. Here's my conundrum:

My current contract with Sprint doesn't end until January of 2012. I just "re-upped" in January. Sprint has ridiculous cancellation fees. So I'm pretty much stuck until 2012.

I don't want to buy a phone through Sprint, especially an expensive one, use it for a year and a half, and then have to buy another phone if I switch carriers. I guess that all depends on what carrier Luke decides to go through for his new phone soon; we'd like to get on a phone plan together once my contract is up. So if he goes Sprint, then there isn't an issue. Any other carrier, and I won't buy a new phone until my contract with Sprint is up.

By then, the market for phones will have changed ... and I'm back to not knowing anything about the technology available to me. Oh well!

When you renewed your contract with Sprint did you get any new hardware? Or a phone at all? If you are moving from a normal phone to a smart phone they are usually willing to give you the promotional price phone (in exchange for the higher fees you will now pay with the internet etc).

We're not going to go into excessive detail on Android 2.1 and the Sense UI present on this phone, as you can read all the details on the software in our previous reviews of the Desire and the Legend, though there are tweaks and additions here that are worth making mention of.

Firstly, we need to talk about the differences between Android 2.1 with and without the Sense UI. If you've looked at a Nexus One (or own one), then you probably know that the experience with the UI is a mixed bag. Some portions of the software have been dramatically cleaned up, while others seem to be left on the cutting room floor. That's absolutely not the case with 2.1 and Sense. Basically, the Incredible -- and all devices with that combo -- feel like complete, polished, modern smartphones, with none of the perks or features missing. In particular, the homescreens have been massively expanded here, giving you seven screens in which to store icons and widgets... and there are a lot of widgets. HTC has included a handful of its own widgets alongside some of the familiar stock ones which Google offers. Of course, the widgets (and their corresponding apps) which HTC offers generally offer far more functionality than Google's options, and they're also tied together with Sense in way that makes the experience of using them within the OS feel complete -- something notably missing from the Google-only experience. To say that this UI is competitive with something like iPhone OS 3.1 (or 4 for that matter), or Palm's webOS is an understatement; in many ways it's superior to what Apple and Palm are offering.

HTC has done a marvelous job in tweaking Sense in all the right places. The first Sense device we tested was the Hero, which we found to be seriously lacking in the horsepower department, resulting in a Sense experience that was sluggish and disappointing. The performance of the Incredible couldn't have been more opposite. The phone never hiccuped, and scrolling between pages or up and down long lists happened without hesitation. Not only was the UI blazingly fast and responsive -- even with all seven homescreens running heavy widgets -- but as we mentioned previously, the touchscreen response on this phone seem remarkably better than its contemporaries, which leads us to believe that HTC has honed the software in this regard as well. That sensitivity comes in especially handy when using HTC's new pinch feature on the homescreens, which brings up a "card" view of all your pages. The only spot where we noticed any kind of slowdown was when using the live wallpapers -- we're not really big fans of the concept to begin with, but it did seem to make the homescreen frame rate visibly more sluggish. Besides just the cosmetic stuff, HTC has also done seriously heavy lifting in the details department, continuing to improve the music, video, and photo browsing options on their devices, as well as making their fantastic on-screen keyboard even better in this higher resolution version. We found finger tracking and typing speed to be considerably improved, as well as word prediction and correction. Apple, watch your back... HTC has done a damn good job of sneaking up on your tech, and maybe improving on it. We can't stress this enough: HTC has made a really good OS (Android) into a truly amazing and competitive OS. HTC has even improved upon the copy and paste functions of the phone, making the process much more iPhone-like, but expanding on that with options to share and look up your selections via a context menu. Oh, and did we mention the amazing new text flow in the browser? No matter how far you zoom in, HTC's software will reflow the text you're looking at to make it zoomable. It's pretty amazing, actually. We don't know why Google doesn't just collaborate with the company in a more formal fashion, because no one else has been able to deliver this cohesive and enjoyable of an experience with Android..
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/19/d...edible-review/

I want this phone
    Last edited by Klaus; 04-20-2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Add video

About a year before my contract was up (Jan '09) I got a new phone that ... I guess is considered a "smart" phone? Its the Samsung Instinct. I'm not happy with it anymore.

I doubt that, even though I'm eligible for a new phone, there are no promotions I'd get for actually getting one. I didn't even get any promos for getting my Instinct, and my bill did change. Stupid family share plans *shake fist*.

That HTC Incredible looks great; Luke has a lot of options when it comes to HTC phones.

You have had your phone over a year - I wouldn't be surprised if Sprint cut you a deal. There are two different upgrade paths on Sprint - one is a promotional price every year and one it pro rated after a year. If Luke decides to go with Sprint you will probably be able to get a phone at the lowest price (or maybe $100 over the lowest price). If you go to another carrier you will be screwed if you don't serve out almost all your contract. I work with Sprint and Verizon at work with about 50 phones on each. Sprint is definitely in the mode of giving away phones and offering better plans to keep customers currently. I would take a look at the EVO 4G when it hits stores this summer.

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely look in to the Evo this summer. I just hope the "lowest price" deal doesn't end up being over $200. I don't even want to spend that much ...

Welcome to Android
    New to Android? Here’s a quick look at what Google’s mobile operating system can do.
    Ginny Mies , PC World

By now, you've probably heard an earful about how great Android phones are, how they will take over the mobile world, and how they do everything the Apple iPhone can't. But if you haven't yet fully explored an Android phone, you may be wondering what the hype is all about.

First, a little history: Google's move into the mobile phone market started way back in 2005, when the Internet giant acquired a small startup company called Android, Inc. Rumors immediately began to surface that Google was developing its own challenge to the iPhone. But it wasn't just one phone--and Google wasn't the only company working on the project. In November 2007, the Open Handset Alliance--a consortium of 47 hardware, software, and telecom companies--unveiled Android, a mobile platform based on the open-source Linux operating system.

Because Android is open-source, the platform has many advantages for consumers and developers. Smartphone and other mobile device manufacturers have more freedom to tweak the software to meet their needs, opening up a wider range of options than most other cell phones can offer. For example, a few HTC- and Motorola-manufactured Android phones come with a custom user interface that runs over the base OS. Meanwhile, third-party software developers are free to create apps that improve on the operating system's standard features.

Another advantage of open-source is that Android isn't tied to a single device--whether it be a phone, a netbook, or a tablet. The HTC T-Mobile G1 was the first Android phone available to U.S. audiences, but a rapidly growing number of Android devices have crept onto the scene from various manufacturers, many of them bearing interesting and unique designs. Whether you want a built-in QWERTY keypad or a large touchscreen (or both), you can probably find an Android phone to match your preferences. There are even a few large tablet devices available to compete with Apple's iPad.

Of course, you also have considerable freedom in selecting a wireless network. Android phones are available for every major U.S. carrier. In addition, unlocked Android phones, such as the Google Nexus One, are available; you can use these devices on any carrier that has a compatible network.

Android benefits from its close ties with Google, too. Google services such as Gmail, Google Calendar, and Google search with voice are tightly integrated with the platform. And Android users get first dibs on Google apps like Google Voice, Google Latitude, Maps Editor, and Google Skymaps.

Besides having access to Google's apps, Android users can choose from thousands of third-party apps in the Android Market. Though the Android Market hasn't quite matched the iPhone App Store in number and quality of apps yet, it is getting there quickly. The Android Market stocks paid and free apps that you can download directly onto your device.

Unlike Apple, Google does not have a stringent app approval process, so developers can get their apps into the Android Market more easily and more quickly. Also, unlike the iPhone App store, the Android Market isn't the only place where Android users can obtain apps for their devices. Alternative sources include Web-based third-party Android app libraries (like AndroLib.com) and individual developers' Websites.

Tech research firm Gartner predicts that Android phones will become the second-largest smartphone platform by 2012, right behind longtime industry leader Nokia. As Android software grows more refined and as the variety of devices on the market increases, this prediction doesn't sound at all far-fetched. Since its inception, the Android platform has shaken up the mobile world--and that alone is worth paying attention to.