Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Android Smart phones

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Welcome to Android
    New to Android? Here’s a quick look at what Google’s mobile operating system can do.
    Ginny Mies , PC World

By now, you've probably heard an earful about how great Android phones are, how they will take over the mobile world, and how they do everything the Apple iPhone can't. But if you haven't yet fully explored an Android phone, you may be wondering what the hype is all about.

First, a little history: Google's move into the mobile phone market started way back in 2005, when the Internet giant acquired a small startup company called Android, Inc. Rumors immediately began to surface that Google was developing its own challenge to the iPhone. But it wasn't just one phone--and Google wasn't the only company working on the project. In November 2007, the Open Handset Alliance--a consortium of 47 hardware, software, and telecom companies--unveiled Android, a mobile platform based on the open-source Linux operating system.

Because Android is open-source, the platform has many advantages for consumers and developers. Smartphone and other mobile device manufacturers have more freedom to tweak the software to meet their needs, opening up a wider range of options than most other cell phones can offer. For example, a few HTC- and Motorola-manufactured Android phones come with a custom user interface that runs over the base OS. Meanwhile, third-party software developers are free to create apps that improve on the operating system's standard features.

Another advantage of open-source is that Android isn't tied to a single device--whether it be a phone, a netbook, or a tablet. The HTC T-Mobile G1 was the first Android phone available to U.S. audiences, but a rapidly growing number of Android devices have crept onto the scene from various manufacturers, many of them bearing interesting and unique designs. Whether you want a built-in QWERTY keypad or a large touchscreen (or both), you can probably find an Android phone to match your preferences. There are even a few large tablet devices available to compete with Apple's iPad.

Of course, you also have considerable freedom in selecting a wireless network. Android phones are available for every major U.S. carrier. In addition, unlocked Android phones, such as the Google Nexus One, are available; you can use these devices on any carrier that has a compatible network.

Android benefits from its close ties with Google, too. Google services such as Gmail, Google Calendar, and Google search with voice are tightly integrated with the platform. And Android users get first dibs on Google apps like Google Voice, Google Latitude, Maps Editor, and Google Skymaps.

Besides having access to Google's apps, Android users can choose from thousands of third-party apps in the Android Market. Though the Android Market hasn't quite matched the iPhone App Store in number and quality of apps yet, it is getting there quickly. The Android Market stocks paid and free apps that you can download directly onto your device.

Unlike Apple, Google does not have a stringent app approval process, so developers can get their apps into the Android Market more easily and more quickly. Also, unlike the iPhone App store, the Android Market isn't the only place where Android users can obtain apps for their devices. Alternative sources include Web-based third-party Android app libraries (like AndroLib.com) and individual developers' Websites.

Tech research firm Gartner predicts that Android phones will become the second-largest smartphone platform by 2012, right behind longtime industry leader Nokia. As Android software grows more refined and as the variety of devices on the market increases, this prediction doesn't sound at all far-fetched. Since its inception, the Android platform has shaken up the mobile world--and that alone is worth paying attention to.

I apologize if this sounds dumb but ... who the hell still uses Nokia? My first cell phone was a Nokia about 10 years ago. Yes 10 years ago this Christmas ...

Haven't had a Nokia phone since ...

Naya:

Since you got a Android phone thought I would post some of my favorite apps.
    How to use QR codes

Google Voice: Best voicemail system available. You can get a invite on ebay if you don't know someone that has one available.

Dropbox: Makes a folder on your laptop or computer - whatever you drop into it shows up on your phone (2gb for free)

Audio Manager: Control all the different sound volumes on your phone. Includes a widget and profiles if you upgrade for $2

Barcode Scanner: Allows you to scan these boxes and go right to the app in the market (several scanners will do this). Shopper by google also works well.

Handcent: Best text messaging app available. Install it and then turn off the built in Android text message notifications etc. Very customizable - will blink different colors, durations, repeat notifications etc.

Mixzing: Better music player for Android with nice widget options.

Pandora: Streaming music for free. Everyone pretty much knows what this is about.

Weatherbug: Weather with nice widgets.

ASTRO: File manager for Android. This should come standard.

Honorable Mention Apps:
    Google Buzz - widget
    Google Sky Maps - star maps
    Mint.com - personal finance
    Mediafly - podcasts
    Photoshop Mobile - photoshop
    Remote RDP - remote desktop app
    SNesoid - SNES emulator
    Fandango
    Google Gesture Search - draw on your screen to search your phone
    Google MyTrack - track your runs or bike rides and sync with googlemaps
    Nesoid Lite - Nes emulator
    Google Earth
    Adobe Reader - I like it better then the built in adobe viewer

Doubletwist is what you need to sync your itunes or mps to your Android phone - it installs on your computer.

Tip:
    When logged into your gmail account on your desktop computer if you do a google search or google maps search - when the results come up there is a little dimmed star by each one. If you click the star next to your destination or search result it will show up on your phone in a few seconds. If you hit the navigation app there is a starred option - they show up under there.

Google Talk: If you plan to use google talk on your phone (came preinstalled on the droid) sign into gmail on your computer go into the "labs" area and turn on the "green robot" feature. This makes your online indicator a robot when you are logged in on your phone. Not sure if it work since you and Luke will be my first gtalk friends with android phones.

do you guys like your droid phones? i have the one made by motorola and i hate it. i've always had pretty cheap phones, but i finally decided to get something cool. i'm sure all the apps are great (though i don't use many) but as a phone, i think it's terrible. a good 10% of the time when i make a call, i hear nothing after i hit send. no ringing, nothing on the other end, nada. the person i called heard a ring, answered, and then there was nothing on my side. i always have to call back. maybe i got a dud, i dunno. i also run into a problem where it will drop a call when i'm in the middle of talking to someone and show 0 bars of service. when the call is over, i'll have 4 bars. as soon as i redial, i'm back to 0. all i want is a phone that works and also has a web browser

I have the Moto Droid and I actually think the phone on it is really good. But Lyncher you are the 2nd person in a week that I know to have reported the phone being shitty. I came from a VX6900 smartphone and a Motorola Q before that which both had horrible phones so made it's just relatively better. I don't think I have ever dropped a call on my phone and I think the quality is very good. Reception is about 50% over the VX6900 I had previously (I get reception in my basement now) You might consider exchanging it with Verizon or getting the HTC incredible Android phone if you have the cash.

I typically use my phone for 90% web and app usage and 10% phone calls.

Thanks for the app list, Scott.

I use Dropbox already, its awesome. I'll definitely get it added to my phone and check out the other apps as well.

Edit: I love this phone, forgot to mention that.

Edit 2: I can't use Google Voice, it hates Sprint and won't let me set it up because Sprint isn't configured for it or something of that nature. Its installed and looks like it can be used, but during the initial setup it said that my carrier wasn't configured to let Google Voice work. Oh well. All the other apps are fantastic.
    Last edited by Naya; 06-14-2010 at 08:48 AM.

Looks like there is an additional step:

Using Google Voice with a phone
    Starting mid-November 2009, Sprint is enabling free conditional call forwarding on its network, allowing you to use Google voicemail with your Sprint phone number. (Standard charges will continue to apply for immediate call forwarding.) 1
    Note: Until Sprint updates your account, Google Voice with your existing number may not work or you may be charged every time someone leaves a voicemail.
    After enabling Google Voice on your Sprint mobile phone, calls you miss or ignore will be redirected to your Google Voice account. Additionally, you'll be able to access your voicemail online, read voicemail transcripts, and get notified by email or SMS every time you get a new voicemail.
    http://www.google.com/voice/sprint

Quote Originally Posted by Naya View Post
    Edit: I love this phone, forgot to mention that.
    I finally saw a EVO at Best Buy. At first I thought it was huge but after holding up a Blackberry curve to it - they are surprisingly similar in width. The EVO is pretty slim however. Definitely a different form-factor.

So what's your review of Android so far? Find any good widgets etc yet?