Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Android Smart phones

Interesting info on the Dell "Streak". I guess it would be a decent "couch" browser if it's under $199.

The Dell Streak has a massive 5 inch display, a front facing VGA camera, as well as a 5 megapixel camera on the back. It also comes with three capacitive Menu, Home, and Back buttons on the side, and a 30-pin dock connector. The dock will probably come later, after the release, but it would be nice if it came right in the box. That might be me asking for too much, though.

What seems to be the best news of the ad is that it looks like there will be a partnership with Amazon for the upcoming device. This means that the Kindle E-book reader, Amazon Mp3, Video Streams, and Store applications will all be available on the Streak. That’s good news, as AT&T can try to push this thing as a tablet, and not just a big phone, which is pretty much what it is.

Default $95 Android Tablet

Actually, here is a tablet for under $100....

When we first spied Huawei's SmaKit S7 Android tablet, we were at CeBit and it was... well, non-functioning. Well Huawei's officially announced the tablet now, and we have to say that it looks just like every other Android tablet being hoisted upon the world these days, but it's got some nice features that make it worth a second gander. The 7-incher boasts an 800 x 480 pixel resolution, 720p playback, 3G connectivity, plus a dock with HDMI out, two USB 2.0 ports, and two microSDHC slots. The tablet, which runs the 1.6 version of the OS, will supposedly be available this summer, though we don't yet have any information about where it will be available or how much it will cost. We'll let you know as soon as we do -- but in the meantime, there's a video demo after the break.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=6289

Since I have AT&T already, no need to switch to Tmobile for this phone anymore. I am going to an AT&T store within the next week to look at one and possibly pick it up. It depends on the cost of a plan.

Wow I didn't know ATT was getting the N1 too. Thats pretty cool. I assume the plan will be the same as the chart I put above (same as iPhone) but I don't know anything about ATT. You might have to order one off the Google website I am not sure they are stocking the N1. It's Google experiment in selling directly to the consumer.

http://www.google.com/phone

Well, if I can get a lower plan for around $70/mo, I will probably do it. I will have to see what kind of plan they can do. I am not a crazy texter, so I don't need unlimited texts. And I really only need about 500 minutes per month.

But yeah, It looks like Google is selling them unlocked with a chip that is compatible to AT&T 3G network, so I am guessing that allows you to add service to it through AT&T somehow. I will have to ask them how that works.

You should do a pooling plan with Naya (I will always call her that) save some cash.

Also, with Android you can tether your phone to a laptop for free using apps in the Marketplace - so you kinda get cheap internet tether (unlike the $30 or whatever ATT/Verizon wants to add it to a smartphone plan)

They will always try to fuck you on texting. Even with my "unlimited" data plan I pay for texting separately. However, if you can get a Google Voice invite (I am all out of invites) with GV on your phone you can text for free, which is pretty cool.

Ok, I forgot Luke ATT did announce they will carry the HTC Desire in store. It is a Nexus 1 but with some improvements - I would see when it will be in stock.

Video:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertwebbe/4426732591/

Anyone have Sprint? This is a bad ass and first 4G phone by HTC.

For those of you wondering where the Android-running HTC HD2 was, wonder no more. The HTC Supersonic on Sprint is real, and calling it a "megaphone" wouldn't be an overstatement. To start, it's rocking the Snapdragon QSD8650 1GHz CPU, which is a model above what you'll get on the Nexus One or HD2 (meaning that it probably has advances in speed and power consumption). The screen, like the HD2, is 4.3" and WVGA resolution. The device can take pictures at an amazing 8MP, and has a fill light for dark areas. And guess what...it has a FRONT-facing camera (yes, this is the first US handset to have a front-facing camera, presumably for video chat). Also very cool is that with a special adapter, the HTC EVO 4G will do HDMI out! Amazing.
    27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="437" height="288" id="viddler">

Also interesting to note is the Top 5 Android devices worldwide, by traffic:
    Motorola Droid
    HTC Dream
    HTC Hero
    HTC Magic
    Motorola CLIQ
    You also can’t ignore the consistent dominance of Apple and the iPhone. Android doesn’t seem to have bitten into the iPhone’s market share, but instead, has begun to join it in dominance. This is what I’ve suggested would happen all along, and its one of the main reasons I’m excited to see what the next version of the iPhone will bring us this year. After all, the innovations of one company lead to the innovations of all companies. Which lead to patent lawsuits.
    http://phandroid.com/2010/03/25/andr...er-year-admob/