Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: Android Smart phones

Google announced today that Google Navigation and Google Maps will be getting offline support in a few weeks. This should finally put Tomtom and Garmin out of the nav business lol.

Asus Padphone Docked in a special monitor. Pretty cool.

Flipboard is a great iPhone app that is finally on Android. You can hook it to your Facebook and Google+ to see your stories in the "flipbook" style along with news and other topics you choose.

For those of you who weren’t apart to the Flipboard beta program, you may be pleased to know that the app is now available to everyone and can be downloaded from the Play Store, Amazon App Store, Nook Store and Samsung Apps. As most beta programs do, the Flipboard team was able to iron out all the wrinkles to the point where they feel it is ready for the masses. Not only does the official release bring localized versions for many countries, it can now be your one stop shop for checking in on the 12 most popular Social Networking sites including YouTube, Google+, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and more. Check it out through either of the links below.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...b2FyZC5hcHAiXQ..

Google I/O just ended with many announcements. The short list:

Google Now is search on Android with instant results. You say what is tallest building - it shows you a card with a photo and stats. If you want normal google results you swipe the "card away".

Voice Search - With new version of Android you get offline voice search.

Google+ - Adds events where you can add people (like facebook) and you can share photos to the even in real time during the event - called "party mode". Then after the event G+ emails people and asks them to upload additional photos etc.

Google + Tablet app - Finally! It looks great and is coming to iOS "soon".

Google 7 tablet announced - $199 with a quad core processor and IPS screen. Best 7 inch tablet on the market and you order it direct from the Google Play store. Don't even think of ordering a Kindle Fire now. Pre order

Google Play now has TV shows.
    Google Nexus Q - media streamer like Apple TV
    Google Maps now has offline mode and 3D
    Google Chrome is out of beta on Android.
    Project Glass was displayed

Pretty cool feature upcoming.

4.2 at a glance.

With the huge bunch of Nexus news today, it almost seems as though the latest release of Android, 4.2 Jelly Bean, hasn't gotten too much press. Rest assured, Google still packed a whole bunch of new features into the latest Android release.

• Photo Sphere:A new way to capture panorama photos, Photo Sphere creates huge multi-shot scrollable images very similar to those found in Google Maps Street View.
    • Gesture Typing: Lots of comparisons being made to the third party Swype keyboard, and rightfully so. You can now type by tracing the words on the keyboard with a single finger.
    • Multiple User Support: A feature that many people have been asking for, Android 4.2 now supports multiple user logins on a single tablet device. Widgets, wallpapers and even game save states are all tied to the unique user logins.
    • Wireless Screen Sharing: Watch YouTube videos, movies and anything that's on your screen to an HDTV with a wireless HDMI adapter.
    • Daydream: Setup your tablet to display photos, news and more while the device is idle or docked.
    • Expandable, Actionable Notifications: First introduced in Android 4.1, improved in Android 4.2. Interact with apps directly from the notification pane.
    • Google Now: A headline feature coming with the first release of Jelly Bean, Google Now is getting revamped with new kinds of cards and improved interactions.

We can't wait to get our hands on Android 4.2 and explore these new improvements. Until then, check out our continuing coverage of the Nexus line refresh and join the conversation in our forums.

Last edited by Klaus; 10-29-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Cute pic of the evolution of Android. FYI each "code name" version such as Jelly Bean is in alphabetical order with the next version being Key Lime Pie.

I have joined your team; I got a Nexus 7 for Christmas. So far I'm very impressed with it. Just upgraded to Jellybean and it's looking slick. I just need to figure out what the hell I'm going to use this thing for as I'm so immersed in my iPad & iPhone...
    Boondock

Finally Sony is coming out with a phone worth noting. Water proof full HD HDR video nice work.

Great new update to Google Now including the new Widget..... Happy Birthday Luke.

Now.jpg