Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Android Smart phones

The upcoming Sprint galaxy has a sliding keyboard as well as touch screen. October release? I might wait for it instead of an evo....

That's a really nice phone Hauser. Pre order now - it's available Aug 31.

Sprint expands device leadership with the launch of Samsung Epic 4G, Debuting on Aug. 31; Sprint’s Galaxy S Smartphone Boasts Blazing 4G Speeds, QWERTY Keyboard and Brilliant Super AMOLED Touchscreen
    New reservation system begins Aug. 13 for Samsung Epic 4G at www.sprint.com/epic4g
    OVERLAND PARK, Kan., Aug 12, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) –
    The wait is almost over! Sprint (NYSE:S) today announced pricing and availability for America’s first 4G-capable phone with a full QWERTY keyboard and brilliant Super AMOLED touchscreen, Samsung Epic(TM) 4G, bringing customers an all-in-one device for staying connected, getting work done and enjoying the latest in entertainment while on-the-go. Samsung Epic 4G is the only 4G Galaxy S(TM) smartphone and the only one to offer a full slide-out QWERTY keyboard.

Samsung Epic 4G will be available beginning Tuesday, Aug. 31, in all Sprint retail

Full Engadget Review here:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/16/epic-4g-review/

Can't anyone produce enough phones for a big launch these days....

Sprint’s Epic 4G Reservation Slots All Filled Up

by Quentyn Kennemer on August 16th, 2010

After a few days of being open for reservation from Sprint themselves, all of Sprint’s initial reservation slots for the Samsung Epic 4G have been filled up. You might still be able to try your luck at third party retailers such as Best Buy, Radio Shack, and Amazon, but don’t go in expecting to be guaranteed a device on day one as these things tend to go quick. Sprint’s site indicates that they won’t be taking names for more reservations before the device’s August 31st launch date, but you can still sign up to be notified when they’re back in stock once September 1st rolls around (or some time after that).

Just ordered the droid 2. Alot of people i work with have the LG Ally, which Amordiva is looking at. Anyone know anything about the Ally? worth getting her or is this a pass?

I would get a 2nd Droid 2 but the Ally is a decent mid range Android phone ($100 less then the D2). Should be fine for a new smartphone user.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I got the epic 4g. Took 20 minutes at the sprint store. Gotta mail in the 100 dollar rebate and they gave me 50 bucks for my bberry so worked out well...

Great Game:

New Gmail available for Froyo users. I installed it and it is much faster etc.

http://rs391.rapidshare.com/files/41...il.v.2.2.1.apk

If you’ve got an Android 2.2 (Froyo) smartphone in your pocket, then you have an application update for the included Gmail app awaiting you. A new version of Android’s built-in Gmail application has been found online, and while it’s not a big update, there are a couple of features you may like.

First off, this updated Gmail app may not be new for those who have been flashing custom ROMs onto their device, as the app has been loaded into many of them for some time now. For the rest of you, you’ll find that the new app has rearranged some existing features (like the “Reply” button), in order to make them more accessible. Instead of having to scroll down to the bottom of the message to reply, the option has been added to the top of the email. All you need to do is tap on the button at the top right of and a small menu — similar to the Quick Contact (introduced in Android 2.1) feature — will pop out and give you the option to reply, reply to all, or forward the message. This is the biggest change in the update as a whole, but the app is also faster overall, according to others.

Since I don’t have an Android 2.2 device, I can’t test the application for myself, so I’m just going on what I’ve heard from others. All you need is Froyo on your device, and there’s no need to be rooted. Just download the .apk file to your Android phone’s SD card, and install with a file manager, like Linda File Manager or something similar. This is just one of the many Google Applications that could really use some sprucing up. Let’s hope that there is another set of Google Applications for Android that will be released at some point soon.

We’re wondering if this particular version of the Gmail application will be included in the T-Mobile G2 when it comes out, as it’s the next Froyo-toting Android handset that will be released, supposedly.
    http://www.intomobile.com/2010/09/07...oid-2-2-froyo/

Google Maps Update

Google Maps for Android just got itself a nice little update, blending the navigation feature with walking directions to create -- you guessed it -- "Walking Navigation." Now you'll get the same three-dimensional view with walking directions as you would in a car, only a little more pedestrian-friendly.

Separately, there's an update for the Street View on Google Maps app that adds "smart navigation," meaning you can tap and drag to make your way through city streets. Check out video of that after the break.

And finally, the Google Maps search bar has been refreshed, filtering results, showing prices with dollar signs and adding cross streets. Nice. [Google]

For those that want Swype on Nexus One/Droid or HTC phones, follow the instructions here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=687056

New co-worker has a Droid X phone. I saw him using Swype and thought it was the shit. Going to install and try it today.

Edit: Installed it supa easy, Swype is fun to use
    Last edited by Naya; 09-14-2010 at 02:53 PM.