Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Android Smart phones

I love the location features they are starting to come out with on the phones. Google Latitude was probably the first but it's not exactly real time so it's only of limited use. I would love a real time app that you can poll - so if you were on a road trip with two cars you could quickly pull up the other cars location. With Latitude it updates every so often and if it can't get GPS it uses cell towers that are not accurate.

I did try one app for finding your car in a parking lot that allowed you to add friends and see their position in real time - problem of course was it drained the battery on my phone because the GPS was always on. I want something that when I pull up my map and hit update it then goes out and gets the other persons location - probably a few versions of Android away to allow other phones to request data from my phone.

SFW - Droid X Sexy unboxing

Quick question about text messages.

I use Handcent and I want to use just that. I keep getting two notifications, one for the built in HTC messaging program, and the other for Handcent. I'm not sure how to go about disabling the stock messaging program.

Noob, I know, I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Brad just went through that same thing on his HTC phone. He can probably better answer it but on my Droid with stock Android I just had to go into the stock txt message program hit settings and turn off notifications.

Okay, I think I figured it out. Thanks.

Any other fun apps you've found recently? Besides the ones that use GPS and eat my battery? :P

I just installed a Remote Desktop program that works really well "WYSE". IMDb app just came out and it's really well done. Same with the Foxnews app - even if you hate foxnews it's worth a look.

Drudge Report (app is better than online)
    SportsTap (if you follow sports at all)
    WCCO (for local news)
    WeatherBug (for weather)
    Shortyz (If you like crosswords)

Engadget is reporting that they have insider information that an official announcement will go out tomorrow on the Evo 4G update to 2.2 (plus a bunch of other fun updates), and that the update should start rolling out this weekend. Update includes:

Preloaded widgets
    Flashlight mode for LED flash
    Light-assisted 720p video
    Improvement to quality of video capture
    All this and Froyo too? Thank you, Sprint and HTC, on behalf of all Evo users. So watch your phones this weekend, and report back with your new Froyo love.
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/29/e...omorrow-loads/

You guys get 2.2 installed yet? Looks like the Droid get's it tomorrow. Rumor has it 2.2 improves the battery life on the EVO a ton.

I don't think I put 2.2 on it yet, is it just an update you scan for in the settings of the phone? Not sure where to do this, still new to the Android/HTC Sense OS/UI.

Eh, left my phone in my car ...