Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Android Smart phones

Nothing else really noticeable, except for a few icon changes.

The battery life is definitely improved though. I was up fishing on Mille Lacs this weekend and had it with me in the boat. Before, when you would travel and go through low signal areas, the cell standby would eat the battery up very quickly. That is not the case anymore. I had it off the charger at about 5am Sat morning, and it did not die until 10-11pm that night. And I had used it a bit for web browsing and a couple phone calls in low service areas.

The biggest uses of the battery now are the display and simply making phone calls or web browsing. Cell standby is usually 3rd or 4th on the list depending on how long your phone is idle. Before, cell standby was 1st by a lot.

For minimizing the display usage, I went into brightness and noticed it was turned back up all the way. I had it turned down some before, but the system update must have defaulted it back to max brightness. There is now an automatic brightness setting though, and I am trying that out. I think it adjusts the brightness based on time of day and what you are doing, but I am not sure exactly how it works. I may just end up setting it to 50% brightness instead.

Of course, animations should be turned off, and the display should be set to turn off after no more than 30 seconds.

After reading more about auto-brightness, it sounds like it sucks. It uses a light sensor, which probably eats more power than it saves, and it apparently doesn't do a good job of picking the correct brightness setting.

I will just set it to a fixed reduced brightness. I found that about 1/3 on the scale still looks fine.
    Last edited by Ender; 06-06-2011 at 08:38 AM.

I don't like the auto brightness. I use the "power control" widget and just change between medium (inside at night) and high (outside) most of the time.

Looks like I am getting around 16-18 hours of battery life. Much better than 8-10. 2x improvement in battery life.

Maybe I won't need to get a new phone soon after all.

Wow, I wonder what they did to "fix" the problem. All the phones with larger screens that HTC has released over the last year have had similar battery complaints. The Thunderbolt on Verizon is said to have the same issues AND it's a smaller battery compared to the Samsung and Moto Android phones. I still say get a extra battery for times when you can't be near a charger but I can see how not making it an entire day would be annoying.

The problem I was having was that the Cell Standby was eating up the battery more than anything else. Not even the display usage could top what the Cell Standby did. The problem was that, when the phone was not getting a radio signal, it would constantly search for one until it picked it up again. I think this update resolved that, though I can't be sure. Now my Cell Standby battery usage is low, and the display is second, if not first.

Update to Google Navigation. Adding bus/train support.

Oh yeah and you can now download map data to your phone!

New Market - adds games and books.

My boss has the EVO 3D and I have been helping him set it up. Initially I wasn't impressed with the "3D" features on the phone. It just looked like all the icons etc were drawn in 3D and the sense 2 interface was nice but not really 3D..... But then I switched the camera to 3D (yes it has two lenses on the back to do photo and video in 3D) and took a photo. Holy shit glasses free 3D right on the screen. Looks amazing but there is a sweet spot right in front of the screen you need to be in.