Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home Automation

lol, thats great!

I'm liking G Home more than I expected, definitely makes the smart lights more user friendly, need some more hue bulbs to go on sale.

Yeah, I haven't seen any "slickdeals" on Hue yet. I should have set up the Home a month ago when I did my Smartthings hub because I forget to use home to activate the lights all the time. I guess I just need to force myself to use it more. I have almost everything automated based on time of day now. I don't care if I leave stuff on because it auto turns off at 11pm etc. Now that we took down our Christmas stuff I have two smart outlets I need to figure out something to do with. Maybe a space heater or on the dryer to send a notification when the load is finished (based on voltage drop) not sure yet.

You know you can call it "Ok Boobo" and that works too.. lol

The dimming to a percentage via voice command is all we're doing now, its the shit!

Michelle and I were in Duluth this weekend and her Mom got locked out of the house. We use the garage door keypad exclusively for entry and leave the backdoor/mud room door unlocked. Somehow it got locked and Grandma and Zach couldn't get in. The only person with a key is our Nanny who was also out of town....

Anyway, decided to invest in a front smart lock. Picked up the Schlage Connect deadbolt. Install was easy and after doing a factory reset and moving my smart things hub close to it I got it set up on the Zwave network. Everyone has their own code and I have Smartthing set up to notify me on my phone when a code is used. I also have it set to auto lock after 30 minutes and to lock at night when the night mode is set (10pm). So far I love it.

be469nx-cammatte_black.jpg

I have been troubleshooting my mailbox sensor (Smartthings Multi Sensor) that is supposed to signal when the mailbox is opened after 10pm. It's out of range most of the time and I missed the two times the guys came through the neighborhood in the last couple months. Smartthings hub has two antennas inside it - ZWave and Zigbee so basically I have two mess networks running. They rebroadcast only their own protocol.... Below is my list of which is on each network for my own reference. Devices on battery power do not reboardcast signals.

Zigbee
    Basement Leak Sensor (battery)
    Arrival Sensor ST (battery)
    Front Door Sensor (battery)
    Mailbox Sensor (battery)
    Bulb - Lamp Kitchen hall
    Bulb - Loft
    Bulb - Office

ST outlet
    ST Motion Sensor (battery)
    Mudroom Door Sensor (battery)

ZWave
    Doorbell speaker
    Front door Lock (battery)
    Front door GE switch
    Greatroom switch

Sliding Door Sensor (battery)
    GE Outdoor outlet
    Motion Sensor 4 in 1 (battery)

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
    We have been having a lot of mail theft in our neighborhood so I put a sensor in my mailbox that alerts me when opened after 10pm. Last night they came again but the sensor hasn't been working (probably because inside a metal mailbox). Got them on camera but you can't read plates at night.

Got another mail theft this weekend. We were gone over the weekend so our mailbox was full (hopefully of junkmail). This time I had the camera exposure set for plates and got a good plate. Filled a report but unsure if they will actually follow up on it even with a good plate.

Time for one of these.. I did it years ago when someone messed with my mail one day. Enough of a deterrent to get them to move to the next box and leave your shit alone..

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ocking+mailbox

We have sets of 4 mailboxes - those fit on the outside two but the middle two there isn't room. The guys last winter must have had a hammer or something because they just ripped those open. Best defense is getting my mail everyday (which I do when not out of town)

Also, I got my Hue hub yesterday and installed it. Linked the Hue Go light to it and linked it with my Smartthings hub and app. Everything works flawlessly. Nice app. Just wish I had more use for colored lights.

philips-hue-go-review-sg-5.jpg