Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delorme inReach - Sat based Txt device

Text definitely requires less power, less signal strength, but that might not mean much in a dense forest when relying on a LOS signal. That'd be a key question about the utility of 900mhz, because unless you are on a mountain or out in the prairies, you might not ever have much horizon open for LOS signals..

I picked up a couple of the original GoTenna from a guy on craigslist for $20 each. I plan to test them at the cabin this fall for range. If they work I might get a 4 pack of the newer Gotenna Mesh version that can bounce messages off each other. If I placed one on the top of the hill behind our place at the start of the trip with a battery pack I bet I could cover the entire valley (10 miles) and get messages to the cabin (in the bottom of the valley). Might not be a bad (cheap) solution. It's an interesting concept for a area with no cell service. If enough people had them you could conceivably get messages out for miles. And if one of those hops has cell service the software on the phone will relay it to SMS.

gotenna1.jpg

gotenna-mesh-reviews_2.jpg