Thread: Dump Cable build HTPC

Oldschool NC

Default Dump Cable build HTPC

I am just going to start a thread about this. I am considering dumping cable and building a HTPC. Any suggestions? I am just sick of spending $100 per month when most of what we watch is either over the air or free for the taking on the network websites. Also would probably get multiple subscriptions to things like HULU+ and AMAZON prime ect... I already bought an over the air two tuner network card. It is OTW from newegg. will post a review when I get it up and running.

If it wasn't for HBO/Showtime I would do the same thing.

We have started to use Netflix a ton. FYI here is my guide.

Netflix - $7.99 a month. Most year old movies and usually any show that is 2-5 years old. Full seasons, great interface etc.
    Hulu -Free with commercials usually current shows about 1-2 days after they air (Computer ONLY)
    Hulu+ - $7.99 a month. Full season of shows and current shows.

Amazon Video - $80 per year if you buy prime. Chad will need to chime in on this. Looks similar to netflix but has current shows.

I have a Chromecast and Ruku player on my network. I enjoy both.

Note that Chromecast does work on Hulu+ now and HBO etc are being added soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Klaus; 10-10-2013 at 03:17 PM.

I've been working on doing the same thing. But i dont think a dedicated PC is really necessary. Just a phone or tablet or newer laptop would do it. Plus Newer TVs and Bluray players have all the apps.

I have not tried chrome cast but that's probably the route I would go. It's cheap, easy and much more expandable than apple TV IMO.

Amazon Prime is great as is having that and any on-demand content they offer in one "app". Many times I can "buy" movies well before they are out on DVD. I got star trek into darkness 2 weeks before the release, ask scott. But note these are sorta two different services from the same company in the same app. Prime gives you access to a bunch of older stuff kinda like netflix streaming but the selection isnt quite as good as netflix. Then amazon has basically a PPV system for movies and shows. All very current or not even available yet but it's, well, pay per view, i use it quite a bit.

I think what I'll probably do is keep Amazon Prime, Keep Netflix, Joine Hulu+, get an HD antenna, get a couple chromecast devices and go from there. I'll finally have a reason to get a tablet LOL.

I think the time is right now to dump Cable, RARELY see a movie in the theatre, and stream everything. The tech and offerings are finally there....
    Last edited by Chadwick; 10-10-2013 at 02:22 PM.
    RIP Rocklobster & Straph

Oldschool NC

I want a dedicated "mini" PC for using Media Center. I like the interface and the built in DVR is really what I'm after for the over the air stuff. Most of Jen's shows that she watches are network and the ability to record them like we do now is key. Besides if I were to stream everything that is watched with 4 different TV users in my house I bet Comcast would get very angry Also, want a dedicated PC for "ease of use". After all Jen and the kids need to be able to use the TV when I'm not around and I think media center with a HTPC remote would probably be the easiest system to learn. I like the idea of just chromcast from a tablet but really there isn't enough support for chromecast out there yet. That will probably change shortly and when it does I like the chromecast idea for extra TV's in the house.

It looks like I can build a very capable HTPC for around $300. I'm sure that will change though as I'm sure I will get carried away and put extra shit in it that I don't need.

Oldschool NC

I got the two tuner HOME RUN DUAL in the mail yesterday. Only problem is now I need to move all my network stuff out of my office. I'm going to move it up one level to the laundry room. It will make running network cable easier and will give a better wifi signal throughout the house. I already have a router, cell micro-tower, cable modem, and a NAS drive on the shelf, now I have to add this little guy. It's getting crowded on the shelf

That works with Windows Media Center right?

Oldschool NC

yes. I have to find a cable splitter and I will temporary set it up and post a review asap

Oldschool NC

Tuner works awesome. Software had a good modern feel to it and installed and detected both tuners perfectly. I really like the WMC interface and the seamless function of WMC with this tuner. Of course several local channels barely come in but that's because i have a $10 antennae running through 50' of coax up to the laundry room. I am assuming once i have a decent antennae hooked up channels will work good.

I just did a build today on my HTPC and I will put up a post with specs and reviews shortly.

I loved WMC when I used it a few years ago. It was really well done compared to modern "cable box" software. Directv is pretty good but Comcast was shit.

Oldschool NC

Along with the project I'm also moving all my network equipment to a new home. Currently it all resides in my office in the basement. Obviously my basement is a less than ideal location for wifi and other network items. Also, I'm sick of it taking up valuable shelf space in the office. This is my list of network do-dads: Cable modem, wifi router, ATT micro cell, 3TB NAS, Homerun dual tuner. It's just getting too crowded in the office for all this stuff and it's very tough to run lines in and out of the office due to it's location. I am moving everything up to the laundry room. The ceiling is unfinished and I have plenty of room. There is power and cable runs already located in there. Now I just have to learn to "push down" CAT5 plugs and I'm good to go.