Thread: Dump Cable build HTPC

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I've been working on doing the same thing. But i dont think a dedicated PC is really necessary. Just a phone or tablet or newer laptop would do it. Plus Newer TVs and Bluray players have all the apps.

I have not tried chrome cast but that's probably the route I would go. It's cheap, easy and much more expandable than apple TV IMO.

Amazon Prime is great as is having that and any on-demand content they offer in one "app". Many times I can "buy" movies well before they are out on DVD. I got star trek into darkness 2 weeks before the release, ask scott. But note these are sorta two different services from the same company in the same app. Prime gives you access to a bunch of older stuff kinda like netflix streaming but the selection isnt quite as good as netflix. Then amazon has basically a PPV system for movies and shows. All very current or not even available yet but it's, well, pay per view, i use it quite a bit.

I think what I'll probably do is keep Amazon Prime, Keep Netflix, Joine Hulu+, get an HD antenna, get a couple chromecast devices and go from there. I'll finally have a reason to get a tablet LOL.

I think the time is right now to dump Cable, RARELY see a movie in the theatre, and stream everything. The tech and offerings are finally there....
    Last edited by Chadwick; 10-10-2013 at 02:22 PM.
    RIP Rocklobster & Straph