Thread: DirecTV

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Three year review:

Just re-read my review above and I pretty much stand by it. I am now out of the promotional pricing and I am considering switching to DISH or Comcast to get a new two years of promotional pricing.

Things I like about DirecTV:
    Genie system works pretty well. I got mine before they offered the wireless clients so it's not as flexible. Can't take a client to the garage for instance but I read that the wireless clients are shitty.

Guide is pretty good. Snappy on the main Genie and fast enough on the clients. Xbox controls the client perfectly.

Website is easy to navigate and pretty useful. Ability to log on and set up recordings is nice.

iPad/Android apps decent but not all programming is allowed to be streamed even inside the network. I am sure this is so you don't skip adding more clients and just run an iPad in your bedroom for instance. Annoying - whichever service adds live streaming of all channels will probably get my $$ in the future.

Customer service is pretty good and only takes under a minute to be talking to a person. They are the normal script reading/ flow chart following CSRs we all love to hate but at least it's fast to get them on the phone.

Things I don't like about DirecTV:
    When the service works awesome - when it doesn't it's a POS to get working again. Sometimes a client will fail to connect to the main or a program will freeze during playback. Normally a reboot of the client will fix it but sometimes a reboot of the main Genie is required... this is an automatic 15 minute process while it self checks and acquires satellites. In three years we had 4-5 problems with the physical dish being out of alignment or ice getting on it. Two service calls had to be made at one point and DirecTv does charge for those - something like $60 each. I ended up adding a $10 a month up charge that makes them free and you get new equipment every couple years if you are on the plan.

Weather while usually not a huge deal does effect satellite reception. Usual during a sports game or at the worst time.

Price - just as bad as Comcast out of the promotional period.

Promotional calls - This is one area I hate about DirecTv. They call every couple months to give you a "reward" for your loyalty. This is usually some new HD channels you have never heard of free for 3 month and then $10 a month after that if you don't cancel. Easy to turn down - but they are pretty aggressive as to why you don't want this free reward. The thing I hate is if you just listen to the pitch and don't say anything they take that as a yes that you want it. I have let them go all the way to saying "thank you for using directv" without saying anything and then stop them and ask for a manager. The manager always claims they are not allowed to sign you up unless you accept etc but the CSR/sales people are not following that at all.

Promotions on premium channels. Comcast only allowed you to qualify for about one promotion a year or something. Direct is a bit better about allowing promotions a few times a year. I like to have HBO in the spring/summer (GOT) and Showtime in the fall (Homeland) - the last two years I have qualified for 3 month cheap service when I called.

Anyone have current Comcast/Xfinity?
    Last edited by Klaus; 01-14-2016 at 09:07 AM.