Here is my 90 day review of DirecTV:

Hardware:
Installation was free and included the dish, the "genie" whole home DVR and 3 "genie mini" clients. Everything pretty much works as advertised with recording being able to play on any of the clients or my Samsung smart TV that features a built in RVU app that connects to the Genie like a client. There is a bit of lag in the guide on the clients but for the more part it's ok. If I am on my TV that is directly hooked up to the Genie DVR the guide is smooth and I have no complaints. Every couple weeks a client will fail to connect to the Genie and I need to hit the reset button on the DVR that reboots and reacquires the satellites. Takes 5 mins and usually happens at the worst possible time.

Software:
I like the Directv guide compared to Comcast. It's fast and has much better search features. It also has some nice statistics that show what other viewers are watching that can be fun to watch. Interactive features show promise but are sometimes slow and take forever to update (weather app etc). DVR menu is pretty standard and groups by show or channel. I do appreciate the ability to delete an entire series with one button press. With Comcast you had to go into the folder with all the episodes and delete each individually and that was slow.

Internet/App/Laptop viewing:
This is a huge growth area for all the TV providers. Comcast allowed you to control your DVR from your smartphone/tablet and I found that sometimes useful (log on at work and record a upcoming program). DirecTV has a similar app that I have used a couple times but they also offer viewing content on your phone from within the network. If you have a iOS device you can watch "some" live content anywhere. With Android you get the same "live" content but you must be within the network. Problem is the "some" content is not what you would want to watch like live sports or HBO etc. But of course you can get HBO etc on demand but just like Comcast the On demand HBO is not complete. There are seasons/episodes missing that you might want to see. HBOGO is a really nice addition to any HDTV subscription and contains all the episode of every HBO show making it extremely useful. With DirecTV you get HBOGO access BUT it's only allowed on laptop and smartphone. I tried to activate it on my Ruku and Blu Ray player but DirectTV will not allow it (ugggg I googled it and I guess DirecTV considered it competition.... even if it requires their service to login)

Cost:
To sign up of course there is a 2 year contract required but the savings is tiered over the two years. So you would say get a $40 discount per month the first year and a $20 bill credit the second year. They also offer other discounts such as $10 off a month if you have your bill auto deducted. My calculations show about a 20% savings over Comcast for the first two years. The major complaint I noticed when researching a few months ago was that DirecTV treats older customers like crap and does not provide a affordable path to upgrade older equipment. I heard that 10 year customers that wanted to upgrade to the Genie DVR were asked to pay $400 upfront. Horrible. My plan is to ride out the two years and attempt to re-negotiate another contract if that fails I will return the equipment and go to Comcast. Of course in two years maybe there will be enough content online TV won't be required.....