Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nexus 7 (7in tablet)

Thumbs up Nexus 7 (7in tablet)

A month ago I picked up the new direct from Google Nexus 7in tablet. I enjoy reading on my 10 in tablet but found after holding it for short periods of time my arms got tired. The weight of the N7 is super light and it has a really nice rubberized back that helps you grip it with one hand. I find reading on this device easy and my arms don't get tired. My quick review:

Pros:

$199 for the 8gb version + $25 credit in the Google market + $10 free cash in your Google wallet account (can be used at Best Buy, McDonald's, BP gas, or Home Depot) = $165 for a quad core tablet.

Android 4.1 Jelly Bean - Google really wanted to make 4.1 as smooth as the iPad and I believe they did. The swiping and animations are really nice and a big upgrade over 3.0 (Honeycomb) and 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich).

Quad core Tegra 3 power. 12 Graphics cores - games are smooth and load fast.

Display - 7” 1280x800 HD display (216 ppi) Back-lit IPS display. That's pretty close to the iPad retina.

Other- GPS, wireless N, Bluetooth, 4325 mAh (Up to 8 hours of active use)

Cons:

NFC (near field communications) can be used at retailers like Best Buy but who want's to whip out a 7in tablet to pay for their stuff.... A phone is a much better idea.

No expandable storage - you are stuck with either 8gb or 16gb of storage. I would have liked a SD card slot.

Phone UI - The standard UI is like a large phone. It has grown on me but I think I still prefer the tablet UI like Honeycomb. For a 7in tablet that gets held most of the time in portrait mode it's fine.

Overall - I think for under $199 you will not find a better tablet. The Kindle Fire is a POS compared to the N7. You can get 2.5 of these for the same price as a decent new iPad but they really are in different classes. I can't see doing a ton of work related things on a 7in tablet. It's about consuming information not creating. I do like how portable and light it is - I don't hesitate to bring it into a restaurant (I wouldn't consider bring my 10 in tablet - too large). And if I lose it or damage it..... $199 isn't a big deal compared to a $800 laptop or $600 ipad. Definitely, I recommend this tablet.

Looks like the $25 free credit on Google Play is ending Sept 30. The new Kindle Fires are nice too but you are locked in the walled garden that is Amazon (with no google apps).

The new 4.2 update to Android adds the ability to set up user accounts like in windows. This is entirely new on tablets - it's AWESOME to set up an account for me with my gmail and facebook etc and one for Michelle. Before you unlock pick your user (and enter a password if you set it up) and all your stuff is yours.

I like it so far. Still trying to find the killer app(s)
    Boondock

I can give you all the emulators for n64 etc and tell you how to use a ps3 controller... Bring your girls up correctly :-)

Hauser has a ton of apks for you I bet.

Yep, even us non-parents know: Glowing Box > Parenting...these days!
    RIP Rocklobster & Straph

You know it's funny. As a kid I'll never forget when my Mom and Dad would yell at Stryder and me to "get off that damn Nintendo and go outside!" or "Nope, you're going to do something other than Nintendo for a little while..." and then we'd play with something else, ride our bikes, do whatever. And we were boys, so we were outside all the time, had an above-ground pool in our backyard, so being outside was rarely a problem, I'm sure it was just the hours of sitting in front of a TV with the glazed eyes.... Anyway, it always bothered me that my parents would STOP us from playing the one thing we loved to play so much, and I vowed that once I became a parent I would NEVER stop my kids from doing what they want to do.

Well fast forward 20-some years and I am already at the point where I monitor my kid's "screen time". We play games, toys, Barbies, imagination, LEGO, coloring, dress up, crafts, etc. And without fail, every time we finish one activity and move on to the next, one or both of my kids will say "Daddy, can we play on the iPad?" And this isn't just stuff like Angry Birds (although they love it and already at 3 and 5 years old they both know the importance of and can get 3 stars...), these are decent, educational games. I'm amazed at the comfort that my daughters have with this technology, and marvel at what they will be like in 5, 10, 15 years...and even more, what their kids are going to be using.

It's incredible...and yet I still say "No you can't play with the iPad!" so much it makes me laugh.
    Boondock

Some great apps for the Nexus 10 & 7

Looks like the Nexus 7 dock is finally becoming available. It uses the gold pins on the side to charge etc. And you can have the N7 launch different apps when docked.. like clock or flip board etc.

nexus-7-dock-6_0.jpg