View Poll Results: What is your rating of "The Avengers"?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 - HULK SMASH

7 87.50%

1 12.50%

0 0%

0 0%
  • Troll

0 0%

Thread: The Avengers

Default The Avengers

The Avengers

I'm sure by now we've all seen it, but while I figured it was going to be good, I didn't expect it to be THAT good. By far the best Marvel movie, and gave The Dark Knight and X-Men: First Class competition for best comic book movie ever.

5/5
    Last edited by Eric; 05-07-2012 at 10:03 PM.
    Boondock

I don't think I can give it 5/5, honestly, but I will go with a 4.5/5. There were parts of this movie that really dragged and did not seem to fit all that well with the plot. And this is a simple plot, so I don't think there was much of a need for that.

The actors didn't have much chemistry... less than I hoped anyway. They all performed exceptionally well in their respective solo movies prior to this one, but when they had them interact it seemed shaky at times. The real glue that held everything together was Robert Downey Jr, of course. He single-handedly saved this detail of the movie. But he was just as good in both Iron Man movies.

I am not crazy about the actor that plays Loki... he was pretty annoying at times rather than believably sinister.

Don't get me wrong though... the last 1/3 or so of the movie kicked ass and pretty much made you forget about any flaws.
    Last edited by Ender; 05-14-2012 at 10:38 AM.

Thumbs up

3While I think some of the plot was weak, thats my only complaint, leaving certain things kind of vague made it a little tough to see what the actual point was, just hard to follow (like the Hulk subplot? Never did get what Loki was supposedly orchestrating or how it helped him).. But I kinda expected something different from Joss W, and he delivered.. However, way too much focus on ScarJo, the weakest character by far, with Hawkeye as a close second (and it got annoying to have not have him refereed to as Hawkeye, never did catch the name and that led to some of the hard to follow dialogue)... Lots of good laughs, had Whedon's style of sarcasm and humor all over it.. Fit well..

I agree with Luke that RDJ carries a lot of the film, but then he also gets to be witty and get most the laughs, but I would add Mark R really did well in his role as Banner, and Thor was a more interesting character than in his stand alone film...

Hands down the coolest cgi big epic battle ever put to screen... While some was "shakey" it just seemed so well choreographed and thought out that you could actually follow it... Not just a mish-mash of explosions and action...

Little campy, but not too much, and kinda fitting as the Avengers comics were also a bit more on the cheesy side compared to the rest of the Marvel-verse which tended to be a little darker...

Give it a 5 just cause its so epic it really must be seen on a big screen at least once, despite its small shortcomings...

After Joe's glowing review I went and saw it Sat night. There were plot holes but I loved it. Just a fun summer movie with lots of laughs. It did feel like Iron Man 3 at times but I prefer that over the other stand alone movies.

I saw it yesterday and loved it. Had everything you'd want from a summer blockbuster. I really liked the cast too. I thought Tom Hiddleston was a good choice for Loki. He pulls off the impish, mischief maker pretty well.

The humor was well placed and genuinely funny, you always run the risk of trying too hard in a movie like this.

The only real plot hole that annoyed me was
    ( Click to show/hide )
    The Hulk goes from an uncontrollable monster in one scene to an intelligent killing machine less than 10 minutes later

I really didn't mind what many considered the slow parts of the movie. I thought the pacing kept it so the slow parts were more ominous than tedious, you just had the feeling something was coming.

I am really curious
    ( Click to show/hide )
    to see where they go with Thanos in the sequel. The Infinity Gauntlet storyline was one of my favorites growing up as a kid. I don't think that's possible because he kills characters that are licensed to other studios but it would be an epic storyline. There are a lot of good Thanos storylines though. I was also glad to see them go with a CGI Thanos instead of just a dude with a purple face

I gave a 5/5 anything less would really just be nitpicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomama View Post
    Little campy, but not too much, and kinda fitting as the Avengers comics were also a bit more on the cheesy side compared to the rest of the Marvel-verse which tended to be a little darker...
    I also thought this movie more than maybe any of the other Marvel movies really captured the humor in the early days of Marvel comics. The Iron Man movies have a lot of humor in them but it's more part of the character, in this movie it was more spread out and consistent with the comics I thought. There were at least 3 points where I laughed out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrillian View Post

I am really curious
    ( Click to show/hide )
    to see where they go with Thanos in the sequel. The Infinity Gauntlet storyline was one of my favorites growing up as a kid. I don't think that's possible because he kills characters that are licensed to other studios but it would be an epic storyline. There are a lot of good Thanos storylines though. I was also glad to see them go with a CGI Thanos instead of just a dude with a purple face

( Click to show/hide )
    I did read something that pointed out we were shown the infinity gauntlet in the Thor standalone movie, as one of the items in Odin vault. I didn't read a lot of Avengers so I'm not familiar with Thanos.. Both the Other and Thanos were cameo's by Whedon's friends

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrillian View Post
    I also thought this movie more than maybe any of the other Marvel movies really captured the humor in the early days of Marvel comics. The Iron Man movies have a lot of humor in them but it's more part of the character, in this movie it was more spread out and consistent with the comics I thought. There were at least 3 points where I laughed out loud.
    Yeah I thought the humor was well done.. Everyone in my theater was lol'ing... And one of the people I saw it with, who knew nothing of the Avengers and hadn't seen the other films, was genuinely laughing all throughout it... Thats a good sign imo..