Thread: The Hunger Games

Post The Hunger Games

**starting new thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaus View Post

Saw the movie this weekend. I really liked it. It was pretty true to the book but the books are written in 1st person so it was hard to translate certain things. Did anyone see it yet that didn't read the book?

I went and saw it... Did not read the books and know nothing about it but the basic concept.

( Click to show/hide )
    Gets kinda a meh from me.. My expectations were higher, although some of my assumptions about where they would go with the plot were off. I was surprised that they finished the games in the first movie, I expected it to bleed over into at least the second film.

The action (what little there was) sucked... Enough with the shaking cam shit.. Very disappointing given all the hype.. They didn't even give us much of a good survival story? They weren't even dirty at the end.. The whole thing seemed a little.... plain.. blase'? Kinda lame to kill off so many off screen and w/shakey cam... They could of done A LOT more here...

(Check out Battle Royal for a real action movie about kids battling to the death...)

And since I don't know the backstory, I don't have a reason to really give a shit about these people. No context to the weird styles and what the whole revolution and society is about now.. Didn't explain any of that, which I think they should have... however given what I said before, that I was surprised that they concluded the games in the first film, and then I know there are what, 3 more books? I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that the next parts of the story take it in a new and interesting direction? I hope the story gets more interesting... Because right now its not.. At the end of the movie, Evil-Beard guy is the only one that was even memorable..

The one great aspect of the movie was the lead, she can really fucking act, and without her it wouldn't be very believable and would of just been another cheesy tween Disney-ish action movie... She carried the movie..
    The bad guys were silly cliche's

Too much of a kids vibe overall, but I think the sequels have the potential to make it a great series... I'd reluctantly give it a 4/5.. they tried... but very underwhelming imo... Not a "bad" movie, but it also didn't have me leaving the theater wanting more, or thinking it was that interesting...

( Click to show/hide )

I am not surprised by your take on the movie actually. I saw a review that mentioned the movie was slow - I thought it was actually rushed quite a bit. A lot of the back story was omitted or simply glossed over. Overall, after reading all three books I would say unlike Twilight this series is about political change and not romance. I was glad in the movie they downplayed the romance and tried to focus on the political and action parts. I agree the games themselves didn't have the best action (and I hate shaky cam) but that was due to the decision to go PG-13.

Let me get your comments on a few questions I don't think the movie did a good job of answering.

Did you leave with the impression that Katniss and Petra are in love? Since the book is written from Katniss perspective readers all know it's an act and that she (at this point) is pining for Gale.

Do you understand the political make up of Panem? The 12 districts serve the capital and they are all super poor. I know at the beginning they show district 12 as being poor but I didn't think the movie made the viewer really understand that everyone is starving. And toward the end they show the rebellion in another district but that's all you really learn about the world.

Also I know they left this out because it doesn't really matter but it was referenced in a couple lines - the way they draw for tributes each year. Each child between 12-18 gets their name entered 1 time for each age over 12 they are. But they can purchase additional food each year by entering their name more.

Crazy beard guy is actually the head games master that designs the arenas each year. In the book he plays a much larger role and doesn't get killed.

I won't spoil book 2 & 3 but just say there is more arena action and it turns into a more war/political series. Parts are really slow so it will be interesting to see how they bridge the action with the slow stuff.
    Last edited by Klaus; 03-27-2012 at 09:02 AM.

( Click to show/hide )

I didn't find it slow, I found it lacking depth and substance. The plot was plain and unrefined... Its like they created a backdrop but put no effort into it.. Which I think is typical of children's fantasy/sci-fi. It reminds me of of old'school 50's era "its the future!!!" shit... Its the "future" so they must be a homogenous society of metrosexual styles and fashions... Because we all know in the future, everyone will dress the same, have wacky hair-do's, and bad guys will have Evil-future-beard...

Yes, I gathered that she doesn't really have feelings for Petra.

Yes, I got all the basics of the Reaping and the districts.. But again.. There is no context as to why any of this is like it is? For me, thats needed to make it interesting... Otherwise I just don't care..

The more I think about it, the more it reminds me of lots of kids sci-fi type stuff, where they just make things "look" wacky, because "its the future!!!", but there is no semblance of reason for things to be like that...

I guess that based on all the hype, I expected a more thorough and detailed plot... It wasn't imo.

Based on this one I'm sure I'll watch the sequels, but its highly unlikely I'd pay for the theater again, I'll wait for a home viewing..

( Click to show/hide )
    i don't know what we're spoilering about!

Great movie I thought. 4/5

Yeah, the plot lacked depth and detail, but I think as the movie progresses you get a good enough understanding of what is going on. They just don't lay it out for you right away, aside from the few bits of text in the beginning.

I didn't mind the shaky camera action scenes. Since it was PG-13, I kind of expected the actions scenes where kids are slaughtering each other to be significantly dumbed down. This movie was not meant to focus on the action, but rather the suspense that leads up to it.

lol...

and about 40 more meme's here..

http://www.uproxx.com/webculture/201...-meme/#page/17