Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solid State Hard Drive

Default Solid State Hard Drive

So I wanted to upgrade my main HD because it's only 150gb and I'm getting to the point where I can't install anything without deleting something. My only other storage is a USB external HD, and transferring big files is annoying.

So I was initially just going to get an internal 2nd HD and install games and stuff there, but as I was reading more I thought maybe I should just get a SSD and replace my main HD (turning my main HD into the slave).

Anyone know about these drives? I was looking around and saw they sold pure SSD drives and SSD-Hybrids, is there a huge difference? I imagine there is because the hybrids are significantly cheaper.

I was looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-In...=25FI2EIL8GQAT

It's not as big a brand name as Samsung or some of the other ones I'm seeing, but it is at least $40 cheaper than the next closest one I can find. I tried to check around for any after xmas sales but didn't see any deals.

Let me know any thoughts on Solid State Drives.

150gb? lol

Never heard/read anything about a hybrid.

I've been running a Corsair 64gb SSD for my OS drive for almost a year. Stable and fast. A little disappointed in the predicted longevity tho (run a little widget that gives you feedback about the SSD state, TRIM stuff, etc). According to the widget its lifespan is < 3 years.

IMO that one you linked really isn't a "deal"... A deal on a SSD should be in the realm of about $1 per gig, and I've seen those deals every few weeks from a variety of sources.. These guys track deals and I've seen a quite a few show up in the $1/gb range. http://dealzon.com/
    Kingston has had some particularly good deals on the larger capacity drives over the last few month.

Then I have three 1tb in RAID5 for my main storage, games and a external for backup.

Crucial is good shit. I have a OCZ SSD (120GB) that is SATA III. I love it. However, check your motherboard before you purchase one. Mine is about 1.5 years old and it only supports SATA II (3 Gb/sec) and not SATA III (6 Gb/sec). I have a controller card on order to be able to run at SATA III speed (since my SSD can).

Newegg had a ton of SSD on sale last week (20% off) so I would keep looking and you can see the price differences is always due to the speed it can run and what controller it has onboard.

SSD Deals

I picked my 120GB SATA III drive up for $120 after rebate so Joe is correct $1 per GB.

Corsair 120gb for $129 (after MIR) from newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...bles-_-na-_-na

You could get 3 of these and run them in a RAID for the price of that Amazon one..

I saw this one off that site you linked: http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technology...=25FI2EIL8GQAT

I am not really familiar with RAID so I don't know if I'd do that thing you said. I heard RAID increases the chance of an HD fail too, but I heard that a while ago, not sure if it's been resolved.

Get the Agility 3 (same price)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227727

Or Vertex 2

Link

I think I am going to get that agility 3 one, but what is the difference between agility, vertex, the numbers?

Good question...... Actually I think they have come out with a few different "controllers" that run the SSD and each one is faster. From a google search...

OCZ Vertex 3 uses Samsung flash, like all other Indilinx drives.

OCZ Agility 3 uses either Intel 50nm chips or Toshiba 40nm flash

Vertex 3 is slightly faster

Well I went ahead and got the Vertex 3 they had on sale yesterday. Paid 319.99 for a 240gb one, there is also a $30 mail in rebate that I will forget to file I'm sure.

We started rolling out 120gb SSD's at work on our laptops and the boot times alone for W7 were incredibly reduced (down to less than 2 minutes from a cold boot). I'm buying one for my home PC to put Windows 7 and all my apps/games on it and leave my SATA terabyte drive as my data drive...hopefully this cuts my boot/load times down. Watching Newegg...
    Boondock