Thread: Ultrabooks

Default Ultrabooks

So Ive had one of the new ASUS zenbooks for about a month and I love the thing.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...7200/list.true

These new ultrabook laptops really are ideal if you primarily run windows programs.

The biggest and really no-brainer advancements with these new laptops are the LED backlit screens, the SSD hard drives, and the light thin construction.

I have not really taxed the thing yet with a game but for everyday work and CAD etc it seems to perform quite well. The HD size is not ever going to be an issue for me because i simply dont keep that much crap on my laptop hard drives.

While I love my ASUS, Kelly ordered a Toshiba model Ultrabook and i think its the better value.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...3800/list.true

It's $50-100 cheaper. It has about the same basic specs and performance, but it has a few additional input-output ports that are handy. Primarily you don't need a adapter for the VGA out. And it has two USB ports. Both have the SD slots though which is a huge deal. It does not have the fighterjet construction of the ASUS but it still seems very solid and battery life is 8.25 hours vs the ASUS 6.5 hours.

OVER 8 HOURS in battery life in a fast powerful notebook that is sub 3lbs in weight is a huge step forward in laptops IMO.

The ASUS does have the advantage in the sound area as it is equipped with a Bang & Olufsen sound card and speakers.
    RIP Rocklobster & Straph

I really like the look and feel of the ultrabooks but I just can't justify the price. It's like iPad level. I have a $200 refurb dual core netbook and a $300 Android tablet. Would be nice to have one machine that can do everything but I don't think we are quite there yet. The Asus Transformer is close but it's not quite as powerful as a ultrabook/laptop.

But I really do like the specs and look of the Asus you got.

Just saw this from from the Windows 8 preview:

IntoMobile ‏ @IntoMobile
    Windows 8: An ultra book is cold booting in about 8 seconds. Not too shabby