Thread: Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Thumbs down Rise of the Planet of the Apes

I just don't get how this movie has a 80+% from both critics and viewers on RT... I really weep for the future of good entertainment. Other than the long shots of the apes moving, which were clearly real animals, every single closeup of the apes took me out of it.. Its fucking Jumanjia... They don't look right, they don't move right.. Caesar swinging through Franco's house at the beginning was completely ridiculous... AFAI can tell, no one who is amazed by the cgi'd apes has ever seen real apes... Cause apparently they can all jump through reinforced plate glass windows without sustaining even a cut...

Aside from that supposedly amazing cgi, it was downright bad.. Other special effects took me out of it, like such a glaring difference between all the cgi and the few real effects, it seemed thrown together imo.. Good effects should not be noticed, should seem seamless so you don't know whats real and whats not.. The effects in this always had the glossy, phony cartoony look... I would call all the effects B grade.. A step above a Syfi channel movie, but no where near worthy of a large budget blockbuster...

Dialog/script totally corny.. The writers should be ashamed.. The only actor worth a damn was John Lithgow. I wonder if they even had scripts?

( Click to show/hide )
    The worst ending ever... Its like they couldn't figure out how to end it.. so they just said "okay, lets stop filming now".. I'm like really, thats it? They tear up San Fran Police Dept and humans throw in the towel and let the apes head for Red Wood National/State Forest... Which I had no idea was immediately across the GG Bridge from San Fran????? Where is the national guard?

Sure it could be a great concept, but it had nearly zero substance.. Even the shit in the lab seemed half-assed and cobbled together and completely unrealistic... That has to be the most unsafe lab facility in the history of lab facilities....

Guy gets a ape taken from him by court order from almost killing his neighbor and his work doesn't find out about it?? It doesn't make the news??? They don't ask if it has anything to do with the research apes that he fucking works with? Really??? Thats believable?

IMO this seems like a movie that never got beyond the vague idea stage and yet they produced a "finished" product... Its like they made the story boards and didn't add anything to it...

Give it a 2 of 5 and that's being generous...

I agree I was pretty disappointed with the movie. The ending was what I was most upset about.

lol I know I'm setting myself up for more Jomammascorn, but I loved this flick.
    Boondock

I should clarify: I loved this movie despite James Franco, the glaring common sense holes that Joe mentioned above, the ridiculous plot "twists", the cliches, the cheese, blah blah.

I don't know why, I just enjoyed the hell out of it, and I for one thought the CGI was excellent.

83% Tomatometer and 87% audiences liked too...I guess we all got duped!
    Boondock

I didn't mind the CGI and I thought it was a decent flick but the ending was like Joe put it.....stupid. All the lives lost in the battle but ok you made it to the forest have a great life.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
    I didn't mind the CGI and I thought it was a decent flick but the ending was like Joe put it.....stupid. All the lives lost in the battle but ok you made it to the forest have a great life.
    But during the credits you see the pandemic and the Rise of this new Planet...which is going to be run by Apes...
    ( Click to show/hide )
    ...that talk?
    Anyway, while I agree the end was dumb, I figured that the humans suddenly had more immediate concerns (global human pandemic) than to hunt down a bunch of apes...
    Boondock

One thing I dont get, is why they replace stuff they can do for real, that they have been doing for real in movies for 20, even 30 years with real makes-up, costumes, effects, with CGI.. My guess, its cheap... And it shows, above anything else, they're being cheap..

I saw the Marky Mark/Tim Burton POTA's remake in the theater, and for the most part I liked it... And the "effects" in that were top notch, those costumes looked better than anything they did in Rise OTA with CGI..

If you've got a shitty script and a rehashed story (Rise OTA is a complete and total rip off of the plot/story of Deep Blue Sea, from the search for a Alzheimer's cure to making animals smarter, its completely unoriginal other than throwing in the pandemic aspect...) and your crutch to make the movie watchable is the CGI, the CGI better be top notch... This was no Avatar thats for sure..

IMO they just don't replicate real stuff that people have lots of visuals of for comparison with CGI yet... So dinosaurs and dragons or w/e don't take me out of it, because there is no frame of reference... But show me a CGI lion and its just glaringly obvious that its CGI and it takes me out of the story..

I did not see one Shark that could swim backwards in ROTA, therefore your argument is invalid.