Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rookie Router ?

Oldschool NC

Default Rookie Router ?

OK. I have a ? I have noticed lately that I have to power cycle my wireless router about every other day or so in order to get fast speed to my computer. It is a Linksys N router. I have it connected to my main computer directly with an ethernet cable. If I don't power cycle the router my speed drops to 1mb down 1 mb up. After I cycle it goes back to 25 or so down and 3 or so up.

Thanks ahead of time

Maybe unrelated, small sample size and all, but I had two Linksys routers in a row with a similar issue, just constantly dropping or bottle-necking the connection (all wired too, not wireless)... Seemed like I had to unplug it every other week.. Bought a Belkin, w/wireless.. in 2-3 years, its literally NEVER had problems.. ever... fwiw..

Oldschool NC

Good to know Joe thanks. Could be something that simple. I bet Steve Dykstra knows exactly what to do

I've had similar issues with Linksys to the point I avoid them like the plague. Years ago I had a huge issue with a Linksys and when all my fixes didn't work I called tech support. They gave me terrible instructions that actually compounded the problem and shut down my network completely. It was so aggravating. After that my father-in-law gave me an old US Robotics router he had and I never had a problem with it.

Now I use the Router that Fios gave me when I signed up and I think I've power cycled it maybe a dozen times in 3-4 years

I have a Linksys Cisco dual bank router that I love. If you feel like experimenting I would HIGHLY recommend attempting to put the custom firmware on your router. It's called dd-wrt and it unlocks your router etc.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

DD-WRT is a Linux based alternative OpenSource firmware suitable for a great variety of WLAN routers and embedded systems. The main emphasis lies on providing the easiest possible handling while at the same time supporting a great number of functionalities within the framework of the respective hardware platform used.

Linksys routers always. No issues ever once set up properly. What band is your cordless home phone on?
    RIP Rocklobster & Straph

I have the following router and love it:
    Buffalo WZR-HPG300NH

It is multi-band, gigibit, has the ability to hang a USB drive off it for NAS, and comes with DD-WRT installed out of the box. It's now a hell of a lot cheaper than when I bought mine a couple years ago. Some of my friends have bought one based on my recommendation, and are pleased with it. I'm kind of an expert at this shit, or was when I built and lead the first wireless networking support team at Dell 12 years ago. But these days, any slap-dick can setup a wireless router...

Quote Originally Posted by sakebomber View Post
    was when i built and lead the first wireless networking support team at dell 12 years ago. But these days, any slap-dick can setup a wireless router...
    i drive a dodge stratus

Oldschool NC

No home phone and it only seems to be a problem with the hardwire connect to main computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrillian View Post
    i drive a dodge stratus
    No one knows what it means, but it's provocative.

Gets the people going!!!