Thread: Battle: Los Angeles

Default Battle: Los Angeles

Watched this last night on in demand. Pretty unimpressive movie overall. Spoilers below so stop reading if you want to see this movie, but you should keep reading and just avoid this movie imo.

For a movie about an alien invasion of Earth it had a very meh feel to it, really lacked that epic fighting-for-survival feel to it. They make a big deal about how they have to hold Los Angeles and they are sacrificing other areas because holding LA is so important, but they never explain why. Having never been to LA, I can't understand why it would be viewed as such a stronghold.

The movie also had a ton of cringeworthy movie cliches, such as:
    1. The character who handed in his retirement papers right before the aliens attack and now has to go on 1 last mission.
    2. The soldier who is planning his wedding before the aliens attack.
    3. The soldier whose wife is pregnant, and you know this because he kisses her belly...before the aliens attack.
    4. The commander who is fresh out of officer training, having never seen actual combat.
    5. The soldier who is recovering from PTSD and gets cleared for combat, right before the aliens attack!

Now I can forgive a few cheesy cliches if the movie is impressive (see: independance day), but this wasn't even a good alien attack movie. Most of the movie is from the perspective of a ground unit that is trying to rescue 5 civilians before an air strike levels a city. So the aliens are advancing, we have no idea what kind of weapons or technology they have, but it is SO IMPORTANT that we rescue these 5 civilians out of 20,000 before leveling the city. They never mention anything important about the civilians, so it wasn't like they were crucial members of society. In fact, I believe they sacrificed 20 marines to save those 5 civilians...

But didn't they only save like 1 or 3? The turning point was when the main marines states "I am not gonna lose another civilian!!!". Also, I loved the "we need to send someone up to that tower to get a signal" part..... Gee wonder whats going to happen to him?

( Click to show/hide )

He gets killed just after he gets a signal through to command OMG OMG

I saw this a couple weeks ago and I have already forgotten most of it. 2 of 5 only because they blew a bunch of shit up.

I also like how
    ( Click to show/hide )
    after they blow up the command center the 5 marines advance on like 20 retreating aliens. Even though the aliens are retreating they are still firing at them and the marines are just walking forward with NO COVER! It's like "ok we blew up the command center, we are invincible now".

Also don't they know Michelle Rodriguez is supposed to die in movies like this.

oh and another thing!
    ( Click to show/hide )
    the commanding officer fresh out of the academy writes his wife a letter to be delivered in case he doesn't make it back. He might as well have written his own obituary!

I watched this and Skyline back to back.. B:LA was bad as review, I thought Skyline was much better (still pretty cliche) but at least they took a totally different turn at the end... A little originality goes a ways...

Battle LA sucked. PG-13 for a movie like that = fail.
    Boondock