Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

Some improves the story but some important things are missing. They have so badly fucked up the Jon Snow story line its almost unwatchable for someone who has read the books. The other one is the Dany story line, while different from the books it was close enough to keep true to the author's intent. But as of the last two episodes they are just making stuff up....

I guess it's frustrating in the cases where they change it so much it changes the nature of the character involved, again primarily because of motivations. This whole story is about character motivation, to change things up makes characters very different from book to TV series.

Id also say the walking dead is a different deal. It has always been loosely based on a comic book series (my understanding). Like all the superhero movies they have taken elements of story lines and characters and create their own work of fiction. But a song of ice and fire is a rich and well thought out story that translates well to the screen in most cases. Up until recently it was handled similarly to the LotR movies. Where, yes, they condensed things and got rid of sidetrack storylines that didnt translate well to a screenplay, but for the most part followed the story closely and included all important elements true to the books. That's how they started GoT so i guess its hard to understand why they would change the approach more than a season into it.
    Last edited by Chadwick; 05-14-2012 at 12:38 PM.
    RIP Rocklobster & Straph

It is funny the last couple episodes when Michelle asks questions I have to say "I have no idea".

The Jon Snow story was fine until last night I thought. They really did go off the rails.

For those that care here are the differences: (not really spoilers at all)
    ( Click to show/hide )
    Extra-credit book report:

Most everything that happens in this episode is invented for the series, with the exception of Theon's hunt for Bran and Rickon and the display of their bodies on the walls of Winterfell. The Thirteen of Qarth were never executed by Pyat Pree and Xaro Xhoan Daxos never declared himself King of Qarth. Arya Stark and Tywin Lannister never sat around swapping dragon stories with each other (though they should have).
    Last edited by Klaus; 05-14-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Personally, I don't want that constant comparison going on in my head to be a distraction from what is still one of the coolest shows ever made.

If you had read it before you knew HBO was gonna make the show is one thing, but I honestly don't understand going out of your way to read it once the show started... I don't want spoilers, I don't want to know how it diverged, even if there is more detail in the books (thats a given). It takes away from enjoying it in the visual medium when you first see it imo...

Maybe after the show is over... Because we all know that books tend to have far more depth... so seeing the shows first does not spoil whats in a book... But the book before show does imo...

An despite not reading the books.. I'd bet money that Bran and his little bro were not who Theon had burned and strung up.. Nice use of deception tho Theon you pos...

The Jon Snow part was pretty pointless and did come off as filler...

I liked the story so much I wanted to know what happened (after episode 1.2).... picked up the first book and quickly read all 5 books. The series is awesome but the books are equally as awesome - some of the twists and turns coming up with make Ned Starks death look like nothing.

Exactly why i started reading. The show was so good i couldnt wait and wanted to get the whole story...the books really are an amazing work of fiction.
    RIP Rocklobster & Straph

I think what makes George Martin's writing so good is the way he is able to take a character that you HATE and rehabilitate them into one you LOVE.

Michelle's favorite scenes this season have been the ones between Ayra and Tywin.... that never happened in the book (not sure if they ever met in the book). Whoever wrote the scenes did a great job IMO.
    Last edited by Klaus; 05-15-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
    ( Click to show/hide )
    Extra-credit book report:

Most everything that happens in this episode is invented for the series, with the exception of Theon's hunt for Bran and Rickon and the display of their bodies on the walls of Winterfell. The Thirteen of Qarth were never executed by Pyat Pree and Xaro Xhoan Daxos never declared himself King of Qarth. Arya Stark and Tywin Lannister never sat around swapping dragon stories with each other (though they should have).
    ( Click to show/hide )

I would add: John snow did not take Yiggtre captive, nor did he get lost/separated from his little group of nigthts watch dudes (lead by the halfhand) chasing her.

And Dany's dragons were never kidnapped (at least that i can recall).
    RIP Rocklobster & Straph

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
    Michelle's favorite scenes this season have been the ones between Ayra and Tywin.... that never happened it the book (not sure if they ever met in the book). Whoever wrote the scene did a great job IMO.
    I agree, it was one of those cases where they just combined tywin with another character to simplify things for veiwers. They have done that throughout, with both characters and similar events, a lot. In those cases it does not take away from the story at all. It also does not distract to have some interesting dialogue between main characters like that to help you learn more about them....its part of the screenplay game...

But wholly changing plot lines (jon snow) or just adding a bunch of big plot points that never happened in the books (dany) in some cases goes too far..

I'd bet there are some really mad fans of the books today...for me it was just a disappointing use of creative licensure.
    Last edited by Chadwick; 05-14-2012 at 01:40 PM.
    RIP Rocklobster & Straph

Agreed but we don't know how they will continue the Jon Snow story line yet so it might be better in the end who know... It is different.