Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Japan

http://tech.mit.edu/V131/N13/yost.html

I hope this is correct.

It is interesting to watch the American news after reading Reuters and reading the article Joe posted. I just heard an anchor say the fuel rods in reactor 4 are burning..... But the actual reports say its the building and not the actual rods.

You're welcome Japan, after all we showed you how to handle fallout.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
    http://tech.mit.edu/V131/N13/yost.html

I hope this is correct.

It is interesting to watch the American news after reading Reuters and reading the article Joe posted. I just heard an anchor say the fuel rods in reactor 4 are burning..... But the actual reports say its the building and not the actual rods.

Yeah, they clearly don't have the level of scientific support & understanding to report accurately, and it seems there are some translation problems too.. Like the fuel rods don't burn, and the spent fuel rod pool was not on fire....

From NEI:
    Tokyo Electric Power Co. said that an oil leak in a cooling water pump at Unit 4 was the cause of a fire that burned for approximately 140 minutes. The fire was not in the spent fuel pool, as reported by several media outlets. Unit 4 was in a 105-day-long maintenance outage at the time of the earthquake and there is no fuel in the reactor.
    He keeps updating that article @bravenewclimate.. Good diagrams.. I still don't really understand where/what the secondary containment is.

Oldschool NC

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...n/Asia_eqs.php

Looks like they are getting 5.0-6.0 earthquakes about every 10 minutes or so since the big one.

I think the secondary containment is the hardened concrete building around the reactor. At the Japan plants they have a wooden building over the concrete containment building to protect the workers but does not contain anything.

I find Reuters the best source for live info.

http://live.reuters.com/Event/Japan_earthquake2

( Click to show/hide )
    Last edited by Klaus; 03-15-2011 at 11:32 PM.

http://mitnse.com/2011/03/15/unit-2-...uel-pool-fire/

Hydrogen gas from the cladding oxidation with steam collected in the suppression pool and ignited. This scenario differs from those of units 1 and 3 where the explosion occurred outside the primary containment in the upper part of the reactor building. The reasons why the steam/gas mixture was not released to the reactor building are still not clear. This breach of primary containment is certainly more serious than the situation in units 1 and 3.

My favorite mis-information from last night was all the "all workers told to abandon the plant" stories. Pure reporting without knowing the details.

BBC: "Hiroko Tabuchi of the New York Times tweets: "More on plant workers: they took cover for 45mins on site&left water pumps running. There was no suspension of operations. TEPCO official""
    comment by sputnik at 5:27 AM

I would think we could provide more help then just a Global Hawk but I guess it's a start...

TOKYO, March 17, Kyodo

The U.S. military will operate a Global Hawk unmanned high-altitude reconnaissance aircraft over a stricken nuclear power plant in Fukushima Prefecture, possibly on Thursday, to take a closer look at its troubled reactors, a Japanese government source said Wednesday.

Photographs taken by the plane equipped with infrared sensors could provide a useful clue to what is occurring inside the reactor buildings, around which high-level radiation has been detected.

The planned mission comes as the Japanese government appears unable to contain the crisis days after the coastal nuclear plant was struck by a magnitude 9.0 earthquake and tsunami.

It would represent a deepening of Japanese-U.S. cooperation in coping with the escalating crisis, with the U.S. military having already provided logistical transportation, and search and rescue efforts in the wake of the disaster that hit northeastern Japan.

I think the US has basically been waiting for Japan to ask for things, specific aid or help, etc. And per their culture they don't typically do so, maybe dishonorable or whatever...
    RIP Rocklobster & Straph