Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Japan

Yeah I thought it was just some random nutjobs map didn't even see the ARS logo. It was just meant to start conversation.

One of my college roommates/Rosemount grad married a Japanese girl and moved to (Tokyo I think)... He's been posting on FB, 50 aftershocks in the first 12 hrs, mandatory 3hr blackouts in the afternoons... and pictures of nearly empty shelves in his local store...

Ongoing nuke news..

http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
    Yeah I thought it was just some random nutjobs map didn't even see the ARS logo. It was just meant to start conversation.
    Scared the shit out of me, had to check it out, 750 rads is bad..

Two Japanese volcanoes have erupted after the quake.

http://youtu.be/04HPOmJ8vfE
    http://youtu.be/Y44fKaTDjLI

Also a pair of volcanoes on the Russian Kamchatka Peninsula erupted.

Whats next, Gor-zirrah?

Maybe the apocalypse is beginning a year early...

/use Tainted Core
    /y <------- TAINTED CORE TO: %t ! ! !
    /s <------- TAINTED CORE TO: %t ! ! !
    /script SendChatMessage("!!! YOU HAVE THE CORE !!!", "WHISPER", nil, UnitName("target"))

Wow, now THIS is bad... a spent fuel pool at a different reactor caught fire somehow (no idea how that would have happened since the pool is just water) and it is likely that a bunch of the water is boiling off, possibly exposing the spend fuel rods that are stored in the pool. The actual radioactive metals should be within their protective casings, but if any of those casings are damaged, you will have radiation leaking all over the place.

This is a much worse situation than the actual reactors melting down because the reactors have the concrete shielding around them that should prevent any radiation from leaking even if the whole core melts down. But these pools only have water shielding the radiation, and if that water is now gone or at least partially gone enough to expose the rods, they have a big problem.

Since high levels of radiation were reported near the plant after that fire (11,930 mSv/hr), my guess is that is exactly what happened.
    Last edited by Ender; 03-15-2011 at 08:23 AM.

Looks like the radiation levels are dropping and I believe they plan to dump water into the damaged building to cover the rods. First lesson learned from this is to not have steam venting into buildings that caused the Hydrogen build up and explosion.

Failure to keep adequate water levels in a pool would lead to a catastrophic fire, said nuclear experts, some of whom think that unit 1’s pool may now be outside.

“That would be like Chernobyl on steroids,” said Arnie Gundersen, a nuclear engineer at Fairewinds Associates and a member of the public oversight panel for the Vermont Yankee nuclear plant, which is identical to the Fukushima Daiichi unit 1.

People familiar with the plant said there are seven spent fuel pools at Fukushima Daiichi, many of them densely packed.
    Last edited by Klaus; 03-15-2011 at 08:57 AM.

Yeah, I have no clue why those reactors would be designed to vent steam from the reactor into the building rather than directly outside. My guess is the thinking behind that is maybe the building will partially contain any vented decay byproducts that are radioactive until they also decay. It seems to me though that there is more risk in the possibility of explosion which may damage the concrete shielding.

Oldschool NC

According to WIKI the earthquake's released energy was 600 million times more than that of the Hiroshima bomb. WOW!