Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Battlefield 3

Quick review of the beta:

Game plays pretty well in the beta. Graphics are awesome and the game play is pretty smooth. The only map for most beta testers is Operation Metro and it's pretty small with no vehicles. One of the weak points in the past Battlefield games is the close combat has always felt to me as an afterthought. In BF3 I think it's on par with the COD games (that are all close combat style). I prefer to drive stuff around and blow up the environment but since you can't really test that yet its pretty fun to shoot at other players close up. One of the additions this time around is that sniper scopes reflect and you can easily see snipers positions (not sure if they only flare if they are zoomed in or if it's always). On large maps I am sure as a sniper you would still get tons of kills but at least you can see where the fuckers are hiding and go kill them.

I haven't unlocked many load outs or weapons yet but it looks like some really cool stuff can be unlocked and there are many specs you can pick from.

One thing I don't like is to zoom in you have to hold down the right mouse button it's not a toggle like most BF games. I could not find a option to change this maybe it will be added in the release.

The browser based "origin" client turns out to not be as horrible as I first thought. It works pretty well and it's nice to see if your friends are online without going into the game like BFBC2. Not sure if the origin client can pop up a notification when a friend joins a game like you can do on Steam. Also the webpage gives you tons of statistics.

Updated beta out today:
    ( Click to show/hide )

Game studio DICE has launched the first of several updates to help squash bugs in the beta for its first-person shooter Battlefield 3.

Complete details on the changes can be found on the official Battlefield blog. Among some of the notables:

-- Fixed killcam showing glitched area under map if your killer is dead.
    -- Issue with spawning on dead squadmates fixed.
    -- Fixed a bug where shooting at a moving enemy could cause more than the intended amount of damage.

DICE also added some tweaks to scoring and rank progression.

While the tweaks clear up several bugs, there are still a few big ones lingering, such as the issues with going prone. I still see players hide inside walls or drop into the ground.

The beta runs until Oct. 10, while the full game launches Oct. 25 for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus View Post

One thing I don't like is to zoom in you have to hold down the right mouse button it's not a toggle like most BF games. I could not find a option to change this maybe it will be added in the release.

I think there is a zoom toggle at the bottom of the keybind list.

Heard through the grape vine that there have been some updates to the beta to smooth it out. (which EA has stated is over a month old build)...

Adding another map to the beta too.
    http://www.shacknews.com/article/705...ian-border-map

And this... Look at Operation Firestorm
    http://youtu.be/oDIwNcAF7s4?hd=1

Got a new GFX card for this and it was bricked on delivery... Couldn't get video past the windows swirl at boot.. Doing the RMA today.

Played the new map a bit, tanks are fun, but I've haven't got the arc down yet.. Better map than metro, big battle. Helo and Jets look cool but looks like no flying for me yet, old Wingman Extreme joystick doesn't really work. Has multiple commands bound to one action, including camera changes bound to the joystick. Even tried to fix it in options, but apparently the key binds didn't register.. Cant "clear" a key bind and just leave it blank either. And just like BFBC2, shit is reversed afaik tell... Will consider getting a new joystick but I want to know that shit works.. Keyboard flyers prob have a advantage.

I was gone this weekend and didn't get to try the new map bummer. Beta is over. I hope my joystick works with the release in a couple weeks.

http://planetbattlefield.gamespy.com...&id=29&game=15

if you were concerned about the game after experiencing often bug-ridden beta, you will sleep soundly knowing that this most recent build of the game played (and looked) like a game ready to be shipped. As DICE producer Patrick Bach reassured me, this most recent build that I experienced is STILL not the final build.
    All the frame rate issues, glitches, pops and sound drops of the beta were nowhere to be found. Bach reiterated that the beta was already a month and a half old before it was launched because of the time it takes to certify for release. It’s amazing how much polish they were able to put on the game since the beta.
    Though I never doubted DICE, I can compare the beta experience to a truck drivers windshield: It was hard to see what was in front of me with the constant barrage of bugs.
    And some map ss's here...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=448405
    Damavand Peak, internally known as Base Jump, is built on the idea that we want players to be able to base jump, and features our most extreme height differences ever in a Battlefield map. Attackers in Rush and Squad Rush will start high up on a mountain ridge above a mining facility. The only way down into the valley is to somehow make the 500 meter descent. The further the attackers progress in the map, the more vehicle warfare will be present. There is also a large tunnel section dug into the mountain side at the bottom of the map, and the view when you look up at the starting location is spectacular.

And more on Op: Firestorm
    Firestorm - One of our largest and most vehicle-friendly map, Operation Firestorm is the classic Battlefield gameplay taken to the extremes. Size-wise, and with some puzzle skills, you could actually place three Atacama Deserts -- one of the largest maps from Battlefield: Bad Company 2 -- within the playable area of Operation Firestorm. This is a wide-open desert map where the burning oil fields in one direction are contrasted by clear blue sky in the other direction. Construction sites dotting the area bring interesting possibilities for infantry to hide in elevated positions, spot vehicles, and take them down by mortar or RPG.

I got the notice on Friday to preload the full game. Took a few hours, should be set to go tomorrow.

Yep, preloaded last night, no problems.

There are new GFX drivers for both ATI and Nvidia.

New in Version 285.62

This is the recommended driver for Battlefield 3. It contains several performance and compatibility enhancements for the final release of the game. Check here to see if your PC is ready for Battlefield 3.
    This is also the recommended and enhanced driver for Batman: Arkham City and RAGE.
    Contains a fix for the driver timeouts reported with the R285 beta drivers.

Grab them here:
    Windows 7 64-bit, Windows Vista 64-bit -
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-wi...C-H6Q158479003

Windows 7 32-bit, Windows Vista 32-bit -
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-wi...C-H6Q158479003
    and

[QUOTE]Cat 11.10 official release will happen Oct 31 - but Catalyst 11.10 V3 is pretty much the identical driver, so use with BF3 (plus new CAP)
    Improves performance in Battlefield 3 Open Beta release for both non-Anti-Aliasing and application enabled Anti-Aliasing cases on single GPU configurations using the AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 and AMD Radeon HD 5000 series of products.
    Improves performance in Battlefield 3 Open Beta release for both non-Anti-Aliasing and application enabled Anti-Aliasing cases on AMD CrossFire™ configurations using the AMD Radeon HD 6000 and AMD Radeon HD 5000 series of products.

Windows 7, Windows Vista - http://www2.ati.com/drivers/hotfix/c...win7_vista.exe
    Windows XP - http://www2.ati.com/drivers/hotfix/c...iew3_winxp.exe

Thanks updating now. Game unlocks in 9 mins.

Thumbs up

Yeah, it unlocked early for us on the west coast, got it at 8:30 instead of 11pm.. you?

Played for a solid 2 hours. No crashes, very stable. 60fps with my new card/new drivers. Very cool game, far smoother than the beta. Maps are quite gorgeous, the lighting affects are really fucking cool, and the sound is the best yet in a game imo.. Been in some pretty intense firefights already.. Going prone and having the bipod for the hvy machine gun is great.. Gotta really pay attention for those guys lying down... Doesn't seem quite as destructible as BC2, but oh well.. Its a five star game. Heard the SP was weak, but i don't play them anyway.