Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Battlefield 3

Everyone is getting the black screen freezes during map changes..

Yeah repair is a good way to get points, so it playing support or assault and making sure you drop lots of health/ammo packs near people, and getting the paddles opened up so you can revive people... Go for high point activities like that and you will open up your perks fast.

Yeah just remember to cap points and move on. Spot everything you can for bonus points. Get on a good team. Guns suck at first but it gets better.

Couple questions:

I just got IR smoke for tanks... how do you use it? I mashed buttons but couldnt figure it out. Is it effective at all and in what situations do you use it?

How do you pick up ammo/health packs? Do you just move through them or do you need to hit a button?

The IR smoke is a countermeasure for Heat Seekers. You need to look at keybinds under tank & aircraft and see what your default countermeasure key is, I changed mine so I don't know the default.

There is a three pattern beep you hear when someone is targeting you with HS..
    Beep-Beep-Beep while they are acquiring, solid beep when they have lock, and a quick dit-dit-dit-dit-dit when missile has been launched. Ideally you don't deploy the countermeasure until you hear they have fired, although if you do it when they get lock but haven't fired it will break their lock and they have to reacquire.

You don't pick up health and ammo packs, you just stand by them. Ammo takes a while and 1 ammo pack will not be enough to fully resupply you, takes a few.

I think I have mostly figured out the game now and all the display details. Seems like the big problem for noobs like me is everyone using that IR scope to find you easily when you cant see them, but that will get nerfed with the patch which should make things easier for me.

The IR scope isn't that over powered it just allows you to see players better. I think the major problem new players have is poopy weapons and they just don't know where the cover is. I know almost every hiding spot on Caspian now and that helps a ton. And nice scopes and weapons helps me pick off the newbs running around like idiots...

One thing that helps early on is pick up other peoples weapon kits when they get killed..

Can you use other peoples nicer weapons or only the items you yourself have unlocked? I loved counterstrike so when I dont see anyone on just get destroyed at team deathmatch. I like that I can focus on upgrading specific weapons that way. It also is a quick 10 to 12 minute match on some servers. When I see Scott on, I just follow him around on the big maps lol. Ill get the hang of it.

I think you can use other people's weapons. I have only done it once.. I don't know if they drop every time someone dies. It may be that only your squad's weapons drop for you to pick up. I did pick up a sniper rifle that had a nice scope on it once though.

I am finding out that the most important thing about this game is to work together with your squad. Their names and classes show up yellow on your HUD and you can always see them on your HUD. You really don't want to be on your own ever unless you are Recon/Sniper. You always want to be near an assault and/or support squad member. If you don't have an assault member in your squad, switch to one because healing is very important. You should almost always be spawning on an alive squad member, unless they are in a really bad situation and you will just die when you spawn. Spawning at bases is just a waste of time and doesn't help anyone.

I like operating vehicles more than being infantry and have been playing an engineer. But it is probably better as an engineer to be the top gunner so you can get out and repair while the driver can still shoot the cannon. If you aren't operating a vehicle as an engineer though, you should be focusing on laying mines on the road out of the other team's main base and using rockets to take down any that get past those. Also, I have learned to use my RPG more on infantry that are near cover or through a doorway in a confined space.

The other very important thing to learn is to not just run around. You die way too much by doing that. You could get away with doing it in games like CS and 1942, but in this game you're just an easy moving target. Being patient, sneaking, and using cover are key.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomama View Post
    One thing that helps early on is pick up other peoples weapon kits when they get killed..

By "kit" I mean their loadout, weapons included. Yes if you pick up a Colonels kit you get their gun and whatever unlocks they have equiped. Everybody drops their kit when killed.