Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Unions

Holy shaky camera.

Oldschool NC

Ender, that article you posted is a good accurate version of what we have here in MN. However, what the writer only glanced on, on his update to the article is the fact that taxpayers ARE on the hook if the funds come up short. That is a big deal. Private sector doesn't have available to them taxpayer supported "guaranteed" pensions and that is where the inequities exist and what makes people mad (rightfully so).

Another really important fact is that we (public employees) are NOT REQUIRED to, and do not contribute to Social Security. That is one of the reasons that our pensions have to be taxpayer guaranteed. For the most part we are not participants in, or benefactors of Social Security. So, our pension plans also serve as our SS for circumstances other than retirement, i.e. death, permanent disability to name a few. Now, it is my opinion that public employment sector knows full well the problems with social security and knows that social security may not be able to provide for us when we retire. So naturally what did we (public employees) do? Well, we simply voted ourselves out of the shitty social security deal and invented our own system that is 10x better. Tell me, how is this in any way fair to the private sector employee? This is a bullshit deal for them no matter how you add it up. Don’t get me wrong, I love my retirement benefit that I have, and I DO NOT want to give it up. That being said, it is still not equitable or fair to the private sector employees for them to be forced into the shitty SS deal and we just opted out.

Quote Originally Posted by MnWilly View Post
    Ender, that article you posted is a good accurate version of what we have here in MN. However, what the writer only glanced on, on his update to the article is the fact that taxpayers ARE on the hook if the funds come up short. That is a big deal. Private sector doesn't have available to them taxpayer supported "guaranteed" pensions and that is where the inequities exist and what makes people mad (rightfully so).
    Well then the guarantee part just needs to be taken away, and they receive whatever has been saved for the duration that it lasts. After that, if they didn't make further plans for themselves, then they are kinda SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Well then the guarantee part just needs to be taken away,
    Good luck with that

Oldschool NC

They can't unguarantee it for the reasons I posted. In order to opt out of SS, you have to have some other type of guarnteed system otherwise SS wouldn't allow it.

Oldschool NC

On a side note.. At the PD we just got an email notifying us that both the Strib and the Pioneer Press have requested all the salaries for the PD. This IS public information and probably will be published soon. It will be interesting to see if either paper does and article with the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
    Good luck with that
    X2

You might as well start a barrel fire in you back yard and throw 5% of your paycheck in there. Because it is not going into a "fund" it is being paid to the people currently collecting the pensions. Without the taxpayer backing you are SOL.

Follow the money trail...TO ITS END.

Its exactly what is happening with SS. I have zero expectation that i will ever see a dime of my maxed out contribution to SS.

Best i can do is reduce my tax liability as much as possible through other means. Start a business and write EVERYTHING off.

The whole mess should be illegall there is ZERO difference between government pensions, social security, and bernie madoff...

The sad reality is we will all be working till we physically or mentally cant anymore.
    Last edited by Chadwick; 03-16-2011 at 06:47 PM.
    RIP Rocklobster & Straph

Bump

Spark? Will big U get rolled?

It's not looking good but they still have huge lobbies etc.

Soooo Chicago teachers have been offered a 16% pay increase over 3 years and they strike... Gotta love democrats fighting each other during an election cycle.