Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Unions

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I have seen someone get fired in our section, and that is not what happened, and I am sure she was under some sort of government workers union. And I am fairly certain it was simply done due to negligence and slacking.

Granted that is the only person I have seen get fired in our section. But it is definitely not nearly as impossible as you make it sound.
    Are you union?
    RIP Rocklobster & Straph

I work for the state of Minnesota... so yes. There are a few different unions within the state though depending on what you do or what department you work for. My union is specific to state government engineers, which is MGEC (Minnesota Government Engineers Council).

Am I an incompotent worker just because I work for unionized employment? No. And I don't see how you can generalize like that... not every union worker falls into your mediocraty category. Most of the other engineers that I work with who are also part of that union bust their asses at their jobs too and are very capable people. Are there slackers or incompotent people? Sure, especially in some of the other unions that employ support staff (nice word for secrataries). Are there slackers or incompotent people in the private sector at non-unionized companies that also find ways to keep their jobs somehow? Absolutely.

It all depends on having proper supervision and management.
    Last edited by Ender; 02-23-2011 at 08:06 PM.

Look both brothers have 135 posts! Hug it out!

I got this one.

I work for the state of Minnesota... so yes. There are a few different unions within the state though depending on what you do or what department you work for. My union is specific to state government engineers, which is MGEC (Minnesota Government Engineers Council).
    So do you get a decoder ring, some discounts on goods and services? What are your dues? Does the union step up to bat when the hammer of fiscal conservatives looks your way? You are relatively young, and I am sure there are many more old cancers working next to you. I remember clearly that in 2005 the state shutdown for a two or three week period, This would include you I am assuming, I also have read that Mary Mark is trying to get legislation passed to block a future shut down.... Why would he want to do that?

The state budget, is fucked, pure and simple, ~ 2/3 of the budget is split in Education, Health and human services and welfare. That would leave the last 1/3 to where you fall, but that also includes pensions and law enforcement for about another 20%, so there is a small sliver of a remaining 13%, that seems like a shitty deal, and when the cuts come union or not, you are going to get ass fucked by Marky Mark.

Am I an incompetent worker just because I work for unionized employment? No. And I don't see how you can generalize like that... not every union worker falls into your mediocrity category.
    Not to step on chads toes, but I wouldn't say you are incompetent, you might have chosen poorly. i would have to reread the thread, but I know i have stated that unions encourage mediocrity, and suppress development and fair market value of skilled employees. Its the union that falls into the mediocrity, they want you to be average, and everyone else to be average, if you all could walk lock step in you gray wool suits and live in you concrete housing they would probably go for it. The union wants to hold you down just like the man, the do this primarly to hold up the dead weight on top.

Most of the other engineers that I work with who are also part of that union bust their asses at their jobs too and are very capable people. Are there slackers or incompotent people? Sure, especially in some of the other unions that employ support staff (nice word for secrataries). Are there slackers or incompotent people in the private sector at non-unionized companies that also find ways to keep their jobs somehow? Absolutely.

Supervision and union representation is the problem, The only way I know of if you work in the private / non union world to keep you job, is to suck tons of cock and balls, and be tied into the brass or a major shareholder. I have seen the dead weight cut 99% of the time, other times there have been some people who should have been cut loose but for whatever reason they got to hold on, I would assume that is the killer gummies or extreme DVDA play after hours. I could draw countless parallels between unionization and communism, and we know how the pinko's fair with that.

You are probably paying a fair amount in dues, for what? The same insurance most state agencies have? The same protections from OSHA, and department of labor? maybe the EPA? do they keep you to a 40hr work week, a 15 min break every 4 hours and a 30 min lunch for 8hrs worked? oh I would assume you are salaried, so that's a worthless point. Maybe its the bitchin pension, I have a pension, a few 401K's and an IRA. The 401K smoked the gains on the others, pensions are nice don't get me wrong but I can do better with other retirement accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Trany
    Not to step on chads toes, but I wouldn't say you are incompetent, you might have chosen poorly.
    I chose a fucking job. It wasn't like I had prospects lined up to shove money in my pants, and it was not out of lack of effort in searching for a job after I graduated, I can assure you. Guess how many on campus interviews I was able to get through the UofMN job placement program? Two, and each of them had over 200 applicants and probably over 100 interviewers for 1 position. Great assistance from the University in finding job openings... it was a joke. I took what I was able to find in an industry that I wanted to gain experience in, so don't give me this "you chose poorly because you chose a union job" bullshit, and spare me your fucking personal judgements.

I am not oblivious to the budget issues, and I am by no means a crazed pro-union picket line moron. All I am concentrated on is doing my job to the best of my ability, gaining experience (because no one in the private sector hires anyone without numerous years of specific experience anymore... your resume just gets screened out by fucking secritaries) and learning what I need to learn to expand my options within the industry that I chose to specialize in. Beyond that I could care less what happens right now. Let the monkeys fling their poo.
    Last edited by Ender; 02-24-2011 at 08:19 AM.

Am I an incompotent worker just because I work for unionized employment? No. And I don't see how you can generalize like that... not every union worker falls into your mediocraty category. Most of the other engineers that I work with who are also part of that union bust their asses at their jobs too and are very capable people. Are there slackers or incompotent people? Sure, especially in some of the other unions that employ support staff (nice word for secrataries). Are there slackers or incompotent people in the private sector at non-unionized companies that also find ways to keep their jobs somehow? Absolutely.

LOL typical Luke, drawing broad generalizations from peoples statements. I never at any time said all union workers or all government workers were incompetent. I have known many union employees who were highly competent and extremely hard working. And every single time, i feel bad for them because they get paid and treated the same as the jack off who does about 1/3 of the work at about 1/4 of the quality. But trust me when i say that there is a much larger amount of slacking in union jobs and government workforce than in private sector jobs, especially small business, because the automatic regulator is if you don't produce in an organization like that either you don't get fired and eventually enough of that behavior kills the organization, or they can your ass in no time to avoid that.

You said you have seen one guy get canned at your office, or department or whatever. I would bet you that if that guy really wanted to he could have gotten his job back...a few calls to the union is all it would have taken. And maybe after more nonsense they could have canned him for good, or maybe not.

Hell even in the private sector the specter of unemployment "insurance" makes it tough to get rid of people...
    Last edited by Chadwick; 02-24-2011 at 10:29 AM.
    RIP Rocklobster & Straph

In the private sector you have to treat someone like crap until they quit on their own

I always enjoy a good Chad and Luke debate!

Oldschool NC

Nice work scott!

Think I will throw a fun topic on each week. Still didn't get all the usual players to comment.....