Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Egypt

Default Egypt

So I dont know that much about this country. I just have not ever read about it. But this process actually strikes me as encouraging and inspiring. The media of course plays it off as a crisis, which maybe it is, being that a HUGE world trade shipping lane is involved.

The fact that the protests are basically peaceful and relentless seems like about the best way to air out nearly universal grievances. The army and government have not overreacted and chosen to squeeze. So, it seems like this may play out without serious issues. Of course the specter of Islamic extremism is ever present and the primary concern. And i am aware this is a Nuclear Power (energy, not yet weapons at this point)

Anyone who knows more care to comment with thoughts?
    RIP Rocklobster & Straph

There are reports now that the military is asking the protests to stop and guys are riding through the crowd on horses and whipping the protesters..... Could get interesting today.

Steve Brusk
    Anderson said he was punched 10 times in the head as pro-Mubarak mob surrounded him and his crew trying to cover demonstration

Wow if you want to watch the protesters battle each other... Rocks hurt!

http://interactive.foxnews.com/lives....html?chanId=3

Hopefully if a change in government comes it trends towards a working democracy if the right people, such as ElBaradei, are involved in it. That is not very likely though. The more likely situation, if the government is overthrown or when Mubarak holds elections later this year and does not run like he says he will, is that someone backed by Islamist extremism will take over since they will probably have the most support, both financially and from the people. The majority of common people in Egypt, after all, still see Israel as their archenemy and want someone in office that holds those same beliefs.

Along with this, Lebanon was already taken back over by Hezbollah earlier this month, who is backed by Iran and Syria. So if the US looses Egypt as an ally, the only ally that will be left in that region will be Jordan, which isn't much of one since they are really only defensive.

All of this comes at the opportune time when we are preparing to pull the rest of our troops out of Iraq. It feels like a coordinated effort rather than coincidence that all of these countries are suddenly and collectively moving to overthrow their governments or current leaders. I believe much of this is in preparation for something big to happen, which probably involves Iran making a move into Iraq once our troops are pulled out. I am certain that Iran has been waiting for such a moment for a long time. As terrible as Saddam was, the one good thing he was for that region was a strong counter to Iran. This is now Iran's chance to advance and link up with Syria, which will put them in a strategic position to have access to Israel.

This is all worst case scenario of course, but the stage is certainly set for it to happen. If it does, Israel is in big trouble. We would of course support them and be drawn into a pretty nasty conflict.

I work with a guy that is originally from Lebanon and still has family there and in Dubai, and he has expressed many of these same concerns... and he probably knows more about the situation than I do.
    Last edited by Ender; 02-02-2011 at 11:09 AM.

What peaceful demonstrations? You got poor Anderson Cooper getting pummeled by Egyptians!

I spent a little time in Egypt and in Cairo. Place is a powder keg. Tick...tick..tick...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I spent a little time in Egypt and in Cairo. Place is a powder keg. Tick...tick..tick...
    You mean WAS a powder keg... lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
    Must be exalted with Ramkahen.

Oldschool NC

My favorite is how our media and our "American" mindset react to theses type of things in far away countries.

Example,

During the first few days EVERY news station was reporting on the terrible violence the police there were using against the "people". WOW, really? You mean when citizens rise up and start killing each other in the streets and start burning innocents houses and businesses down the police have no responsibility to act? The news stations were citing things such as tear gas, rubber bullets, and wooden batons being used against their citizens.

I seem to remember that not long ago we, American police forces, were using the same tactics against our citizens when they were doing property damage in the streets (RNC).

The fact of the matter is unless there is outrageous conduct by a foreign government against their people, such as genocide, we have no right to criticize them for attempting to control their streets and maintain their government. I think the Egyptians will work this out on their own without our “help”.