Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Android Tablets (was Galaxy Tab)

There is GPS on the Acer

Last edited by Klaus; 07-18-2011 at 08:57 AM.

You have to love a good deal, and boy is this deal from Staples good. A reader forwarded us this coupon, good through July 31st, for $100 off any tablet purchased through the retailer. Taking advantage of the savings, you can grab the Asus Eee Pad Transformer for only $299, the Motorola XOOM for $399, the Toshiba Thrive for $379, or the Galaxy Tab 10.1 for as low as $399 among others. The coupon excludes the HP TouchPad, Amazon Kindle, and NOOK, but luckily only one of those three runs Android.
    Link

For record, Staples carries:
    $399 - $100 = Asus Transformer
    $399 - $100 = Acer Iconia
    $499 - $100 = Motorola Xoom
    $499 - $100 = BlackBerry PlayBook (32gb, they don't seem to have the 16gb)
    $479 - $100 = Toshiba Thrive (16gb)
    $299 - $100 = Dell Streak 7

Now, if your store doesn't STOCK a particular tablet (ie: The Asus Transformer is online only), order it online at the in-store kiosk (which has an option to pay at the register), have it shipped to the store, then have them adjust the price using the coupon at the register. Remember, this coupon ISN'T valid online, in store only.

Also, don't forget - don't see what you want or simply hate Staples with a passion? OfficeDepot will be more than happy to accept a competitor's coupon.

OfficeDepot offers: (Prices listed before comp coupon)
    $429 - Toshiba Thrive (8gb)
    $399 - Asus Transformer (16gb)
    $399 - Acer Iconia (16gb)
    $499 - Lenovo IdeaPad K1 (32gb)
    $299 - ViewSonic GTablet
    Last edited by Klaus; 07-20-2011 at 11:31 AM.

Office Depot will accept this coupon for the Transformer on price match.... Anyone want to buy a Nook Color

Nice to see Netflix finally starting to support more phones etc. Now works on Honeycomb tablets.

Hauser here is your loophole....(since all Staples and Office Depot are sold out on tablets after this coupon hit)

The Transformer is only available for ordering online. However, you can use the coupon at the register if you go to the store, go to the online kiosk and order the Transformer. An option will ask if you want to pay at the register and a page for the cashier will print out. Hand the cashier page and the coupon and they should be able to deduct $100 from the price.

If the coupon doesn't work, ask for the cashier to get the manager. I assume they can override the price if needed.

I picked up a Acer from Office Max a week ago for $299 with the Staples coupon. The manager was not too happy about it but F him. He was upset that I didn't want the $80 warranty on a $299 tablet.... whatever.

Overall, I love it so far. I don't have a ton of experience with iPad but I would say this is on the level with it. I like my nook color and 7in is great for reading but not the best for day to day web browsing and email. I find that a 10in tablet or iPad in landscape mode is about right for arms length viewing. Honeycomb 3.1 is pretty good and I find it snappy and smooth with the Nvidia dual core processor. There are several games specifically available for the Nvidia powered tablets and I find they are graphically awesome. I hope they launch more in the future. The other tablet specific apps are decent and of course the google apps like gmail and gtalk have a great tablet version. I haven't played with the GPS yet.

Just loaded up some helmet cam 720p @ 60fps video on to the tablet and it handled it no problem - zero shuddering! I hear that Google is in the process of making a Honeycomb video editor - maybe my dream of leaving the netbook home could become reality.

Note on Mounting NTFS harddrives and usb sticks on the a500:

Three apps are needed:
    Iconia Root - run once
    Busybox - install and run
    Drive Mount - run when you plug in a USB hard drive formatted with NTFS.
    Last edited by Klaus; 08-04-2011 at 08:53 AM.

Looks like Target is running a ad on the Acer this week. You get a $100 gift card with purchase ($399 price). Michelle gets an additional 10% off if anyone in MN needs one

Looks like the ad is for Aug 14-20th.
    Last edited by Klaus; 08-09-2011 at 10:29 AM.

I installed N64oid and SNES emulators last night, plugged in a PS3 controller, and played Mario64 - Mario Cart64 - James Bond. Played perfectly and looked great on the 10 in screen. Nice having a full size usb port that accepts most game controllers and joysticks.

There is a app that just came out that allows you do connect PS3 controller over BT but I didn't try it yet. There is a free Wii controller one that works well also.

I have been using the Xoom bluetooth keyboard with my Acer and it works really well. Best Buy has them for $30 if you can find one (that's 1/2 price)

http://reviews.bestbuy.com/3545/2129...ws/reviews.htm