Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Android Tablets (was Galaxy Tab)

The price is kind of a dealbreaker for me on the Xoom. Only thing that might sway me is if the iPad 2 doesn't have an output jack.

Yesterday the Xoom was released and there was a $200 off Motorola coupon from the super bowl that worked for the Xoom........ Motorola QUICKLY figured it out and cancelled the coupon code. Would be a decent deal for $200 less.

Last edited by Klaus; 03-01-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Actually, I was kind of hoping the iPad 2 had more features at the same price to push down Android tablet prices - but it looks like the iPad 2 will only have a few upgrades...

The iPad 2 is going to be announced on March 2, and there have been rumours abound of a Retina display (or at least higher-res than the original iPad) and an SD memory card slot. Apparently those features have been nixed due to “engineering issues”, although some argue that neither were in the picture in the first place. The source of the rumour said that we can expect an identical screen to the first iPad, more RAM, a new processor, and a camera on either side. There’s also a vague possibility of a lightweight carbon-fiber body, but that’s not locked-down right now.

There are lots of rumours swirling around the announcement next month, including that the next iPad will have NFC, or a mini USB slot, but it’s foolish to hang your hat on any of those possibilities, including the SD card slot or the retina display, barring any evidence beyond whispers and chatter.

Assuming the iPad 2 will be a modest iterative upgrade, will it be able to compete with the slew of competing tablets that will be hitting the market before the summer? The Xoom just came out, and its 10.2-inch 1280 x 800 display edges out the iPad’s 1024 x 768; if the next one has the same screen resolution, even the 7-inch BlackBerry PlayBook stands to offer an equally-crisp image. Then there are extras, like HDMI-out, that has become more or less standard on tablets, and DLNA support for sharing media over Wi-Fi (something Apple’s proprietary AirPlay is trying to tackle). Of course, Apple’s tablet will still have the significant lead in apps and installed base, and it’s assumed that Apple will cut the cost on the original model as they release the new one.

It seems like the number one feature folks are waiting for in the iPad 2 is a camera, and if Apple can pull that off with a few spec bumps, it’ll probably be enough to sell. Any of you guys still dead set on picking up an iPad 2, given the new info?

I gotta say the iPad2 didn't have the HUGE upgrades everyone expected. Xoom pretty much wins in all categories...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/02/i...#disqus_thread

iPad 2 = thinner, faster, longer battery, HDMI dongle and camera for Facetime.

Nothing fantastic, but it'll dominate. 40 million iPad's sold this year?

The big problem with Xoom is going to be the apps. Who cares if it's faster and bigger if it doesn't have half the app library the iPad does.

I for one may be stuck getting an iPad 2 just because it is more likely to have apps for my lesser used work programs so I can integrate it into my work life. For example, we use ACT! by Sage Software to maintain a database with notes, appointments, etc. This company isn't that proactive and they are FINALLY working on an app for the Apple line of products. I doubt they'll come out with an Android app anytime soon.

I also see a lot of complaints from app makers about the Android system/marketplace.

Also I was looking at these laptops with removeable tablets that are going to come out in the near future. The Lenova one looks cool but my issue with it is in laptop form it will run Windows 7, but when you remove the tablet, it runs on a version of Linux. That just sounds awkward and unnecessary.

I agree with availability on Android Honeycomb apps written just for tablets - there aren't many right now.

Developers are having some issues with both Google and Apple's stores. Google is too open and Apple is gready.... Will probably get sorted out soon.

That's within $40 of the 16GB iPad 2.

Galaxy 10.1