Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Android Tablets (was Galaxy Tab)

Oldschool NC

Default Android Tablets (was Galaxy Tab)

Does anyone own one?

I have a few questions. Do they have GPS. If so, does it work when you have no connections i.e. no wifi, 3g or any cell type connection.

Is a G.T. available without 3G or 4G (wifi) only. Why have a service plan if you can teather with your phone. If it is available without 3 or 4G does it have GPS.

I am thinking with a nice sturdy case and mounting system this would make a nice GPS for the boat, car ect. There are apps for apple that allow you to pre-download lake maps and boating charts that will then work, "off-line".

I know the iPad has GPS that works off-line but it sounds like the GPS chip is imbedded into the 3G chip. So, only the iPad with 3G has GPS at all.

I do not know for sure any of the information I posted so feel free to correct me. This is just the best I could find on-line.

Thanks

MIKE
    Last edited by Klaus; 02-25-2011 at 02:12 PM.

If your reason for getting a tablet is mainly for GPS there will be a TON of lower priced Android tablets hitting the market before summer. Joe just picked up Archos 70 7in tablet for like $220. Of course that doesn't include GPS so a bluetooth receiver is needed (I gave him an old one of mine) - they cost about $35.

The Samsung Galaxy is really nice and it compares well with the ipad but if you want a full featured tablet I would wait for the Ipad2 (summer?) or the Motorola XOOM (March). The Xoom has the new version of Android 3.0 Honeycomb on it that is written just for tablets - unlike the ipad and 2.2 Android tables that are just big smartphone operating systems. Check out this:

Here is the Tablet Joe has.

Oldschool NC

Those all look good. I really am not interested in having to connect a second device in order to have GPS. It's just a pet peeve of mine to have to connect tons of aftermarket shit to a device to get it to do what you want.

GPS is just one of the things I want it to do. Home "netbook" and a traveling movie player will be just some of my intended uses. Looks like these things are truly the future of computing as they are advancing at break neck speed.

Honestly, I think the tablets need some work & refinement.. Mine is no where near as smooth as my ipod Touch... I definitely wouldn't expect mine to hold up to the pounding it might take if hard mounted in a boat.

My thoughts:

1) if you're primary interest is for a good all-around GPS platform... You really cant beat the Nuvi's that don't have fixed map packs.. Some are waterproofed (the 500 series when I bought, prob more now)...

2) After fishing with my BiL at my parents place the last few years and seeing him using the fishing features, large display, it easily justifies the dedicated boat GPS. And I'm generally the type that does buy the one "do-all" if I can of whatever product, instead of buying 3 different specialty versions.

Mike - the Galaxy Tab Wifi only version was just announced at CES a couple weeks ago with a price of $499 (or less) I believe. However, there is no information as to if it has GPS (because yes on the normal 3G version just like the iPad GPS is integrated into the same chip). Currently, you can get a Galaxy tab from the Verizon store with no contract for $499 that does have GPS. If you don't sign up for 3G there is no monthly fee and you basically have a Wifi verison.

I agree the lower priced tablets with slower processors won't be as smooth as a ipod touch with a small screen (less pixels to push). The Galaxy is smooth as silk because it uses the 1ghz hummingbird processor that has really nice graphics features. The Motorola Xoom is the first tablet with dual core processors but it's a 10 tablet.

Also, I saw a ton of Android apps for fishing and mapping. Here is one a lot of people liked

NAVIONICS APPS Now Available for Android Smartphones!!

Discover the value of Navionics renowned marine charts and lake maps!

Ideal for boaters, fishermen and water sport enthusiasts of all kinds. Track your navigation while on the water, capture geotagged pictures, and create a virtual travelogue to share with friends via email, Facebook or Twitter.

Added with free update v5.0: User Generated Content for instantly modifying charts to indicate local data and sharing it with the Navionics community!
    The most comprehensive features available:

- Wind Overlay
    - Show GPS location and POI on Google Maps
    - Friendlier chart information retrieval
    - New brighter and clearer interface
    - Twitter sharing and new sharing interface
    - Record/Save tracks, routes
    - Capture geotagged pictures of your adventures
    - Access the largest database of specialty marine POIs available
    - Search marinas and specialty marine POI, with just one click to call
    - Check tides & currents, moon phase, sun/moon rise/set
    And so much more!

Navionics adds more Android certified compatible models:
    Samsung Galaxy S
    Samsung Galaxy Tablet
    Link

Q. Do I need to have cellular coverage to use the GPS function?
    A. With the Android phones , location technology is built into the device. Your approximate location is determined using available information from cellular network data, local Wi-Fi networks (if you have Wi-Fi turned on), and GPS (GPS not available in all locations). Once you have downloaded Navionics Mobile applications to your Android phone, they are resident on your device and are a reliable tool to access charts even when not in cell range.
    Last edited by Klaus; 01-27-2011 at 10:25 PM.

I should of qualified, the cheap tabs, not the galaxy/ipad/xoom level..

Oldschool NC

Thanks Joe. I agree that it might be tough to stand up to the beating in the boat but I really think in an otter type case with a good RAM mount it would stand a good chance. I would love to get a dedicated COLOR GPS for my boat but they run well over $1,000 and I don't use it enough to justify that. I have a Lowrance H2Oc handheld and I liked it before it quit acquiring satalites for me. Problem is, that both that, and my 5" screen on my boat GPS/Depthfinder are just too small. When you are going across the lake they are just too tough to read.

Scott, that navionics is exactly what I was looking at. It's similar to the chip that I have in my current Lowrance GPS on my boat... only way better. Another iPhone user bought it for our ice fishing trip and it looked great on the iPhone. Can only imagine how nice it would look on a 7" or 10" screen. It looks like you confirmed what I already thought. Looks like Droid based tablets are the same as iPad in that the GPS is built into the 3G chip. I like the suggestion to just buy a 3G one and not take the service. Question, will the GPS work without the 3G part being "active". Guess I could just go to a Verizon store and ask but it's more fun here.

Again, thanks guys.

MIKE

I posted that question on the Android forums but I am 80% certain it will still work. BTW the Galaxy Tab is $399 this week at Best Buy..... See the weekly ad if you go to Best Buy.com. It requires a month to month plan - lowest one is 1gig for $20 but you only pay for one month then cancel. That's a incredible price.

Not conclusive but a point in the right direction:

The Galaxy Tab contains a Broadcom BCM4751 standalone GPS chip which has A-GPS (assisted GPS). This means the 3G coordinates assist the intregrated chip for a better location reading when there is a 3G signal. The problem might be is this chip is integrated into the 3G circuit stack. Thus, you may get some erroring if a SIM is not inserted.
    The simple way to test would be to power the device up without any password lock and the SIM removed. Try the GPS. It should work. but that will be conclusive.
    Looks like it does in fact work.

The GPS does in fact work without your data plan. I'm using Google Maps and it works great. I'm guessing that the app caches the map data, then retrieves it as needed. Some tips to remember though;
    1. GPS must be enabled.
    2. VZW location services must be enabled.
    3. Battery must be fully charged or close to fully charged.
    4. Airplane Mode must be disabled.

I cannot get a GPS lock without the above conditions met. Hope this helps..
    Last edited by Klaus; 01-28-2011 at 11:06 AM.