Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pny

Default Pny

So, the last video card that I bought was a PNY Nvidia GTS 250 1k MB. I purchased it in January from Newegg. I wasn't playing many video games back then but when I started playing the Starcraft II beta was when I started having problems. My computer will randomly power off in the middle of gaming. It only happens while playing games; it does not happen during normal operation of windows or while using programs that are not graphic intensive.

It happened a couple times while playing the Starcraft II beta and i thought it might be something to do with problems with the game itself since it was in beta. So, i didn't think much of it at the time. Eventually i started playing WoW again a few months ago. While playing WoW, my computer was also randomly crashing where it would totally power off in the middle of playing.

The first thing i tried was replacing the video card with an older card (one of Jeanna's old ATI cards). After switching to the other card, I had no crashing problems at all. I tried my card again and made sure all the drivers were up to date, and it still crashed.

So, I requested an RMA with PNY since it is still under warranty. They e-mail me back and ask me a bunch of useless questions. After answering them, I shipped the card to them. I got it back a month later with some obscure form where all they wrote on it was "Pass Test". I sent in an e-mail basically asking "WTF is this and what did you do about the card?". They said that they ran it on a system and looped 3dmark over for 15 hours and the card had no problems, so it passed their test. They sent me the specs on the computer they used and the only real difference was that they had an intel chip instead of an AMD chip and the mother board was different, none of which should really matter. They were also using Windows XP.

So, I tried the card again after getting it back from them and it still crashes. I am going to have Jeanna try it in her comp today to see if it crashes on her system. If so, I am calling PNY and bitching them out.

Long story short, I recommend NEVER buying anything from PNY. They are a bullshit company. I bought the card because it was about $20 cheaper than any of the other similar cards on the market. I wonder why?

Wow they didn't even give you a different card? Thats not cool.

Nope. Packed the same one up after "testing" it and shipped it back.

The computer hardware business is cutthroat, there are no margins, and basically they do not do enough testing. It is very down and dirty.

While some manufacturers are better than others, none of them are fantastic.

Even if they did do a lot of testing there is no way to test one piece of gear with all other hardware combinations to ensure compatibility. Then you have the whole factor of different software not being compatible with specific parts or combinations. I realize none of this is new information to anyone...

My current system crashes and bluescreens randomly too, mostly on about every 5th startup.

I have gone away from building systems for this reason. Sure you save money and can upgrade over time, but, at best, you have a 30% chance that your next upgraded part will not be fully compatible with your current build. I simply lack the time to fuck around with the reality that i may have to buy an upgrade 2 or 3 times to avoid crashes and problems. My next system will be a built system that has been tested as a complete system and has a guarantee and warranty not to have these issues. So, if it does, i can ship the entire hunk of crap back to them for a refund.
    RIP Rocklobster & Straph

I had good luck with BFG and Evga. Both companies have RMA cards and returned to me new (or reconditioned) cards quickly.

The system I built a year ago has been rock solid with no issues. Intel i7, ATI video card, Crucial Ram, WD hard drive. I agree Chad having a warranty is nice but you are gonna find that the high end systems are like $3,000 at the moment (see Alienware on Dell outlet) - will be half price to build your own.

As a little update, I used the GTS 250 in my computer last night. Played WoW for about 5 hours, ran BRC and had no problems. It didn't crash once.

I have an Intel CPU, MSI mobo and running Windows 7 Pro 64bit, just to note differences between my computer and Luke's.

So what you are saying is Luke's computer sucks!

I'm with Chad, screw building your own machines. I used to be all for it but I would always run into some problems and fixing them would be a time sink.

My last PC I got a Dell, I'm sure I overpaid for it. The only time I ever had a problem with it, I called Dell and they sent out a tech who replaced my video card, the whole thing took about 30 minutes. Over the years to keep my computer updated I've added more RAM, changed the OS, and added another video card to SLI (which has since burned out). I've had this computer for 3 or 4 years now.

Just an update on this... I tried the card in Jeanna's computer, and it crashed twice while playing WoW within a few days, giving a blue screen and then powering the computer off each time. Blue screen was only up a couple of seconds so I didn't catch the error.

Called back in to PNY in beginning of December, explained that the card was still malfunctioning after it was returned to me following an RMA and "passing" their testing and that I tried it in another different computer. They forwarded me to some technician that was not available and I got his voice mail, so I had to leave a message. No call back within 3 weeks.

I called back yesterday and it took me an hour to get through to someone. After completely going over the problem with them again, they put me on hold for 10+ minutes to pull up all of the information from my RMA. Then they said they wanted me to e-mail them a bunch of system information files to apparently check and make sure there are no problems with the two computers that I have tried the video card in.

Again, DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS FUCKING JOKE OF A COMPANY!

After reviewing all of the system information files that I sent them, they want me to send them the video card again. LOL. I will be making them pay for shipping this time.