Thread: Android Root

Default Android Root

After I got my Incredible last week I said WTF I am gonna root and ROM it. Worse case I switch back to my Droid when I brick the Inc.

So far it has been SUPER easy to root and backup/restore images. Basically, there is a one click root process for the HTC phones (EVO/Inc are basically the same phone - except the size) called Unrevoked that does all the work. Installs a recovery program called ClockworkMod recovery that you boot into like a BIOS and Roots the phone. A few more programs are installed from the market for free and you make a couple back ups. Download a ROM from the ROM manager app and hit install - phone reboots bamm new OS.

So far I have tried two ROMs.

Cyanogen - probably the most popular ROM out - stock android, very fast, lots of customization.

Myn's Warm Two Point Two By Incubus26Jc - Sense ROM with goodies - wifi tether - dark theme with transparent menus etc, very fast

Here it is on a EVO

And of course I re-flashed back to my normal sense back up in between trying the two ROMs above... takes about 5 mins and everything is exactly how you left it.

Epic 4g isnt supported I can root but it isnt one click.

Do it just for the free wifi hotspot.

What is the purpose of this?

EDIT: AHH, so this is to unlock free wifi hotspot functionality...
    RIP Rocklobster & Straph

Basically, rooting gives you access to features on your phone that are locked down. My main reason for gaining root was:

Free wireless hotspot
    Removing all the forced Verizon/Sprint apps that take up room and memory

That was months ago with my OG Droid. Now on my Incredible I wanted to attempt to put Vanilla Android on it (none Sense interface) - what I am used to seeing. I love Sense UI from HTC but I don't like that there is no vertical mode for driving etc. I figured if I fucked something up I have my Moto Droid to go back to. Turns out it went so smoothly I have several ROMs/backups that I can install in about 2 clicks and a restart that make my phone look diff etc. Hauser will tell you he can install paid apps etc on his phone once it's rooted.

Default Rooting the NOOKcolor

Review

At $250, the Nook Color is certainly the cheapest Android tablet on the market. The only catch is that you’ll need to void your warranty and root the device in order to get any tablet functionality out of it.

Out of the box, the Nook Color is one of the most capable eReaders on the market. It features a 7″ 1024×600 IPS color display, an 800 MHz Ti OMAP 3621 processor with a PowerVR SGX530 GPU, 512 MB of RAM, and an ample 8 GB of internal storage. Barnes and Noble chose to launch the eReader with Android 2.1 which allows users to play games, browse the web, view documents, listen to music, and of course download, readn and share eBooks. But if you’re looking to a bit more functionality, the beefy specs also gives you the opportunity to easily turn the NOOKcolor into an extremely capable Android tablet.

Review

How to root the Nook