Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NetFlix vs Hulu Plus

Default NetFlix vs Hulu Plus

I see that both services offer a internet only package for $7.99 a month. I signed up for the free trial of Hulu Plus and it's decent. Does anyone have an opinion on the NetFlix internet streaming etc (or Hulu)? One of these days I am going to cancel cable tv for a bit and try to get by on OTA and internet streaming.....

Netflix internet streaming isn't terrible, best for watching TV shows imo. Most of the movies it has are already available for free on In-Demand channels for HBO, Showtime, etc.

Netflix also has a ton of Stand-up specials which is kind of cool. I don't think it would take the place of cable though.

I guess it would be cheaper to just have this for $7.99 instead of the premium channels, but I just don't like the limited selection.

The Netflix one is free with one of their regular price packages. We just changed our service from 3 disc to 2 disc with blu-ray and the internet streaming package. Their prices are going up so the 2 disc is $17.99 And the 3 disc is going up to $23.99. Being the reason why we dropped from 3 to 2.

To me that is a no-brainer. 7.99 instant or 17.99 instant with two disc blu-ray service.

Their streaming selection is getting better too.
    RIP Rocklobster & Straph

I'm switching mine to the instant queue only, I've had Rocknrolla for over a year now still sitting in the envelope.

I use Redbox for my Blu-rays @ $1.50 a night. If I want it same day of release I goto Blockbuster @ $4.95 for 3 days. Is the internet only NetFlix the same as the normal just without the disks?

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
    Is the internet only NetFlix the same as the normal just without the disks?

No, they have two different menu's, one for physical discs avail, one for online avail.

I've done the 2 discs + BR & free streaming for a while now, but lately havent watched a disc movie in several months, which has happened before, comes and goes, but have both discs of the series "The Comeback" sitting right now (not due to selection really either, more timing, I've just seen the new releases elsewhere or wasn't interested, so in a sense the Late New Releases deal Netflix has really impacted how many discs I get from them)...

I think I'm going to drop one below this package and just get 1 disc +BR & Streaming...

Unfortunately, I'm limited in how much I can watch stuff online now.. I lost my unlimited downloads a few months back.. The major ISP up here made people who wanted a unlimited download buy the full package with Phone/Cable/internet from them, if you just wanted Internet you had a cap... SO the standard was to tell people to upgrade for unlimited, and then this past summer they quietly changed their TOS and put on a Cap on everyone, with no option of unlimited avail.... No real competition to switch to either other than a much slower and DSL.

I hooked up my Sony Blu Ray player to the internet last night and tried out the streaming options. It supports Hulu Plus, Netflix, Amazon store, and a Sony hosted movie service. The Sony store was the most impressive I found but the prices were $5.99 for a first run movie and that's what Comcast charges. I still think Redbox is the best deal for 1080p content (if you wanna wait 30 days on some releases).

I've found that once you start waiting 30 days for movies it's an easy habit to stick with. Whenever I get the urge to watch a movie there are like 70 movies I haven't seen and it doesn't matter to me how long they've been available because they are new to me.

Yeah I agree - the 30 day thing hasn't really been a issue for me. Just once in awhile there is a movie I don't want to buy but want to see right away - I usually do Blockbuster Blu Ray rental in that case. Gives me 3-5 days for $5.00. Action movies are usually the ones I want on BR - comedies I don't care if it's 720 low bitrate internet streaming.

I have seen a lot better deals on BR new releases lately - $14.99 for The Social Network was worth a purchase. $29...... forget about it.