Thread: Comcast vs. Qwest

Default Comcast vs. Qwest

Qwest just installed new fiber optic service in my neighborhood and they are going door to door offering service. I was quoted at $80/month for the first 6 months, and $100 after that for 20 MB internet service and HD standard cable. They flat out told me though that I could just keep it at 80 as long as I called in every 6 months and requested the promotional package.

I currently have Comcast cable service for both TV cable and internet and pay about $140/month, which I think is bullshit and I have known that I need to do something about that overpricing for a while. I think my internet service speed is currently 12 MB or so.

I have heard Qwest internet is much slower than cable, but maybe that was when comparing DSL to cable? If I would be getting 20 MB rated internet service through Qwest fiber optic, do you think it would be faster than my current 12 MB cable service through Comcast?
    Last edited by Ender; 10-22-2010 at 09:17 AM.

One of the other selling points that Qwest had was that they now broadcast HD cable in full 1080p, whereas Comcast currently only provides 720p.
    Last edited by Ender; 10-22-2010 at 09:07 AM.

I waited forever to get the Qwest 20mb in my neighborhood (they kept promising and its still not here), so I finally switched back to comcast about 2 years ago. I think you will notice a difference in speed with the 20mb, but I would not beleive the guy about easily getting to keep the promotion (unless you are truly willing to switch companies).

I had Qwest DSL for about 3 years and would try the get a new promotional rate every 6 months and most times it didn't work, because they don't have promotions for existing customers. Most times you had to threaten to switch to Comcast and finally I did.

I don't know much about DirectTv, I was on the verge of keeping my Comcast internet and switching to Dish Network for TV until the Fox dispute derailed that. Comcast is way to expensive for TV IMO and they basically won't give discounts to existing customers. They would rather you leave than give you a discounted rate.

To keep getting promotional rates you have to call up acting like you're switching to their competition. We have a similar set up here where Cablevision provides cable internet and Verizon FioS has fiber optic.

I switched to Verizon a little over 2 years ago and at the time I had a promo rate for 2 years (they also gave me a free crappy flatscreen TV that I use to watch CNBC in my office, but it's one of those ones where you can't tell whats going on unless you are looking straight at it, not from an angle. Whatevs). My promo rate ran out and I was just paying full boat out of lazyness then I decided I wanted Showtime to watch Dexter and I didn't want to pay for it.

I called up Verizon and told them I was switching to Cablevision. At first they were like ok let me get you on with a cancellation consultant blah blah. Then they made me go through a few steps as if I was cancelling (asking why I'm cancelling, why I'm unhappy, etc.). Then left me on hold for a while, then came back and offered me 2 different promo packages. One was my current plan for like 50 bucks less and one was to upgrade my internet from 20mb to 35mb and give me Showtime, Starz, and Cinemax and I save about 5 bucks off my bill. So I went with the 2nd one and I have it for 2 years wooo.

Bottom line is threaten to change providers and they'll always give you the promo rate. Especially when Qwest is going to want to build up this service for the next few years.

They offered me Qwest fiber for $120 but that was ONLY internet - so I laughed and laughed. Comcast is expensive but it's mainly just the TV part for me that drives my bill to $180. I think internet is $59. And Comcast in Eagan does 1080i and 720p depending on the channel. Remember, only NBC and CBS deliver 1080i, most other channels (ABC FOX ESPN) are shot in 720p. If Qwest is in fact doing video now and saying it's in 1080 it's probably just upscaling it from 720 to 1080 and sending it out.

Yeah, they quoted me at $80 and $100 per month after 6 months, which i think is a good deal.

I have heard some people say that Qwest has a habit of continuously increasing their rates though until you are paying through your nose. I talked to someone with my homeowners association that had Qwest and they initially signed up for like $80 per month, but after a few years their bill ended up being around $170 per month.

I am going to go with the switch for now and see what happens. As long as they keep me at $100 per month at most like they told me, I will be happy with it.

Had the internet install finished today. Speed test came back with ~19MB download, 4.8 upload. Very nice speeds.

The internet alone I will be getting for 29.99/mo for the first 6 months, then 59.99/mo after that. The Direct TV will be just over $40/mo.

As long as they keep me at those prices, I am a very satisfied customer with Qwest. The install guy actually knew his shit, unlike most of the Comcast techs that I have dealt with in the past, and the customer service people that I have talked to have been great. No out of the country people who you cant fucking understand, and no dumbasses who know shit about their service. I even had someone call me yesterday just to confirm everything on my account and explain all of the billing, etc.

What type of HDTV package do you get for $40 a month? My only problem with Comcast is the price of HD each month. I love the internet and it's the same as Qwest @ $59 a month.