Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally true, well priced, on demand movies.

Currently the only way to do it I think is to install "Play On" service on your computer which then streams the Amazon movie to your PS3.

PlayOn is a streaming software that lets you stream Hulu, Netflix CNN, CBS, YouTube, ESPN and now Amazon VOD and Revision3 online content sources to your XBox 360, PS3, Popcorn Hour and many other players.
    Two week free trial (I tried it last year and it was very good)
    http://www.playon.tv/playon/

This just hit too:
    Rejoice, PS3 owners, your Netflix streaming experience just got vastly better than anything else on the market. Starting October 18 Netflix on the PS3 will no longer require a disc, and it'll stream some content with 1080i resolution and / or 5.1-channel surround audio, while everyone else will be stuck with a max of 720p stereo for the time being. Oh, and you'll get subtitles on some content as well. Netflix is partnering with Dolby on the audio side, and the surround format will be Dolby Digital Plus, which is the same codec used by the VUDU HDX streaming service -- we're guessing it'll require a tiny bit more bandwidth but the results should sound pretty great. Netflix says 5.1 will come to other platforms "over time," so we'll see how long that takes -- and given that the PS3 is now disc-free and the company's eschewed the SRS surround features baked into its Silverlight-based platform, we're guessing Microsoft's exclusivity period has now completely run its course. Video and PR after the break.
    27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="437" height="265" id="viddler">
    Last edited by Klaus; 10-14-2010 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomama View Post
    But if you watch 5+ movies/month, on a per-price basis netflix still pwns.. I've even got to watch a few series that I never would of seen if not for netflix having them avail online (Rescue Me in particular)...

Its really the studio's controlling the access, not these guys..
    So are there two different streaming options from netflix because when you use the disc in the ps3 it seems like they have maybe 300 titles tops?

I think we will probably keep netflix for the TV series' alone. You are right, that is hands down the best way to do the TV series' on DVD.
    RIP Rocklobster & Straph

Quote Originally Posted by Chadwick View Post
    So are there two different streaming options from netflix because when you use the disc in the ps3 it seems like they have maybe 300 titles tops?
    Not afaik (and as Scott posted, we don't need the disc anymore as of last week, just need to install the software, I haven't got around to it yet so no feedback about that yet...)

But there are absolutely way more than 300 titles available (granted, there is a lot of crap, but there are thousands, and they're adding to it weekly)...

Question for you? Are you using the search/browse feature while logged into the PS3? That may be your prob, i've never browsed in the PS3, I use the website search and add them to my on-line list. I think I read it was pretty klunky, but it would get better with the PS3 software fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadwick View Post
    I think we will probably keep netflix for the TV series' alone. You are right, that is hands down the best way to do the TV series' on DVD.
    Yep, I just got caught up on Sons of Anarchy.

Yup! I just watched all of Arrested Development on netflix