Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally true, well priced, on demand movies.

Default Finally true, well priced, on demand movies.

So, i set up amazon on-demand with my new blu-ray player and i love it. The prices are 10-20% better than playstation store and being we dont watch movies like we used to i think we will end up dropping netflix and using this. Getting any movie i want to watch when i want to watch it without discs etc is amazing.

I am glad we are finally at the stage where we can get this reliably.

Plus there are plenty of places doing this now so i am betting prices will drop to about $3-4 for an HD full movie.

I foresee netflix going the way of blockbuster and being left in the dust if they don't set up something similar soon.
    RIP Rocklobster & Straph

Honestly, how is the quality on your big screen? I found PS3 and netflix to be kinda pixelated on some movies.

I have been using Redbox Blu-Rays ($1.50) but hope a decent streaming service comes out to avoid the trip to McDonalds to return BR.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadwick View Post

I foresee netflix going the way of blockbuster and being left in the dust if they don't set up something similar soon.
    I've been streaming movies from netflix for almost a year?

The PS3 stuff didn't work well for me, but I've had zero problems with netflix...

Does Amazon have new releases though? I hate that stuff doesn't go to Netflix until it is over a month on dvd.

I think it's just Netflix and Redbox that have the 20day wait period.

I just checked out Amazon real quick. So it's $3.99 to rent a movie to watch instantly? Is that in HD, it wasn't clear.

Can I get this on my TV through the PS3? Right now I stream Netflix through my PS3 and use the home media sharing to watch stuff off my PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomama View Post
    I've been streaming movies from netflix for almost a year?

The PS3 stuff didn't work well for me, but I've had zero problems with netflix...
    The netflix movie selection for streaming is horrible.

Amazon, PS store, et. al. all distribute on-demand video in 720p AFAIK.

It still looks quite good. Sure there are movies i will get on blu-ray to get in full 1080p, but i watched ironman 2 through amazon on-demand and at the time could not even tell it was not 1080. As far as i could tell they have all the new releases.

The HD prices are $4.99 for a movie

You do need a pretty fast connection to truly get it "on-demand". I had probably done a dozen "rents" through the playstation store but they were $6-7 for 1 rent.
    Last edited by Chadwick; 10-12-2010 at 11:49 AM.
    RIP Rocklobster & Straph

I have an uber FioS line for super fast speeds! I'll check it out. I'm probably still stuck with Netflix because Arda likes to stream Family Guy to her iPad in the bathtub. Yes I realize how ridiculous that sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
    I think it's just Netflix and Redbox that have the 20day wait period.
    In exchange for more access to new releases online... Not sure what deal Amazon negotiated to get more access to new releases, but I'm not surprised they're in a much stronger position than netflix being a major distributor and all that....

Quote Originally Posted by Chadwick View Post
    The netflix movie selection for streaming is horrible.

"horrible" is quite an exaggeration imo... Its not like they don't have new releases, or that its not getting better..... They have had some level of early availability... Star Trek, District 9 come to mind...

Some of the netflix stuff is HD, and I have to say, I don't even notice when it is in SD.....

If you only watch 1 or 2 movies a month its appears to be a wash or better to go with Amazon from what I can tell (although it doesn't look like it works to a PS3, so i'm out right there)...

But if you watch 5+ movies/month, on a per-price basis netflix still pwns.. I've even got to watch a few series that I never would of seen if not for netflix having them avail online (Rescue Me in particular)...

Its really the studio's controlling the access, not these guys..

Scott, do you know if there is a reason this is avail on Xbox but not PS3?