Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Town

The wife and I rented this over the weekend and to be perfectly honest both of us were very disappointed. As mentioned above, the getaway scene is just retarded.

@@Klaus, can you spoiler tag the below? And PM me on how to do it myself in the future? Thanks@@

( Click to show/hide )
    They've got the entire BPD on their ass, copters overhead, and all they do to lose the cops is turn left and not take the bridge... "They're headed for the bridge! Pull off all pursuit and just wait for them there!" Stupid. Also, they keep getting away even though police "should" know what they look like. "I put a costume on that clearly shows my face, I'll just walk past 50 police officers that are specifically here to catch me". Ridiculous.

Maybe I'm just cynical, I just got finished re-watching "The Wire", so a thief movie without much depth probably wasn't a good thing for me to watch. I understand you don't have the time in movies to establish characters and plot that you do in a TV show, so with that said I give this a:

2/5
    Last edited by Klaus; 02-01-2011 at 12:50 PM.
    The artist formely known as Keion

You cant really compare "the wire" to anything.. Its in a class of its own... It should get the Pulitzer for literature...

I reviewed "The Town" on my movie blog (that I know you are all following through the RSS feed button cause you're awesome)

http://nielsonratings.wordpress.com/...ting-the-town/

Just read your review Boon...

( Click to show/hide )
    In it, you note that you were especially impressed with the details, the bank robbery, and the chase sequences. Here's the thing though, I feel like that's the only thought they put into the movie... except when they turn left to lose the cops.

I think there were some pretty major details they overlooked:

The "big heist" is "robbing the cathedral of Boston", followed by gratuitous shots of Fenway park. This sets an interesting backdrop for the finale, I guess. But... why does Fenway have upwards of 15-20 million dollars in cash on the premises? Am I to believe the Sox are playing their players in cash? Because I'm not going to believe this is from attendance to the game, as I'm guessing next to no one is paying cash for seats at a Sox game. And I don't think you can call this nitpicky, it's the central heist of the movie, and I see no reason for that money to exist. It just made me think Ben Affleck wanted an excuse to film at Fenway cause fuck that Jimmy Fallon guy for ruining his world series, which I do get.

I also am not a fan of the whole, he's a bad guy but he's in love so it's okay that he's a thief and murderer. I had no reason to root for this guy, and I didn't.

The big boss man is a florist... har har... I get the fake irony that a super tough guy cuts flowers all day. Cept his only muscle appears to be an old fat guy with a shot gun. He scares the crap out of people and I can't understand why, when all it took was one idiot with a gun to take down the entire criminal organization... of two guys.

And by the way.. that's stolen money bitch! You can't use that to fund a new arena... We're supposed to believe that she dropped this money off anonymously with a note saying, "get an arena". Well, pretty sure the IRS isn't going to be cool with that.. people like to know where money is coming from. But it's the filmaker's way of telling the audience, "see, it's okay that he stole the money". But it's really not, give it back. And Ben should be in jail... he stole a ton of shit, probably has a few vehicular manslaughter chargers under his belt, and oh yeah, he killed two people in cold blood. Were they good people? No. Does that matter? Not the last time I checked. Go murder a child molester and see if they still throw you in prison.

You loved the movie for the details... I disliked the movie for the details. :P I don't think it's being nitpicky to dislike a movie because of plot or logic holes. We need to demand more of movies.

I agree that I was in a bad frame of mind to watch the movie, but I'm not seeing what everyone else is seeing when they list it at 4 or 5/5...
    The artist formely known as Keion

( Click to show/hide )
    I believe the large amount of cash was on hand because it was the concessions from a weekends worth of playoff games, those are mostly paid in cash. I could believe that 3-4 games worth of beer concessions from those dirty bostonites would be at least $20 million in cash.

As for the arena, think back to where Affleck first runs into the chick when he's stalking her...AT THE LAUNDROMAT! I think that makes it pretty obvious how she was able to use that money for the skating rink.

I do agree they didn't really flesh enough of the Florist's story out to really make him all that intimidating. The flower shop is obviously his front for his operation, so I don't think it's really that funny that the tough guy cuts flowers.

The more I discuss this movie the more I dislike it though. The only good things were Renner and surprisingly, Blake Lively.

Quote Originally Posted by Grafton View Post
    Just read your review Boon...
    Loved your comments. Hilarious.

For me, it was still a good movie, I didn't let the little things ruin it. I'm notoriously forgiving if I'm enjoying myself while watching a movie (*cough* Star Wars), so you shouldn't be surprised that even though I picked certain things apart I still rated it highly.

In my opinion it was still a great movie.

I generally believe you have to suspend disbelief for movies. I really hate when people criticize movies for having impossible things happen. I remember when I was a kid people would talk about Die Hard like "no way can he run across all that broken glass!". Yea there is also no way 1 guy can take out a highly trained crew of terrorists. It's a movie

But in The Town the movie is making an effort to be gritty and realistic, so I think it missed the mark with some of the things that are especially ridiculous.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrillian View Post
    I generally believe you have to suspend disbelief for movies. I really hate when people criticize movies for having impossible things happen. I remember when I was a kid people would talk about Die Hard like "no way can he run across all that broken glass!". Yea there is also no way 1 guy can take out a highly trained crew of terrorists. It's a movie

But in The Town the movie is making an effort to be gritty and realistic, so I think it missed the mark with some of the things that are especially ridiculous.

Its all about context for me, but I can suspend disbelief for almost anything, but it has to kinda remain the context the filmmakers create... In this case its supposed to be all realistic like you said, but they really gutpunch you in the middle with the "drive down the alley= lose entire police force" getaway... That was the only one that really took me out of it while I was watching it (which I did 3 times in about 2 weeks, I definitely enjoyed it)... The rest was believable enough (the whole thing about the town being a armor car robbing mecha is fabricated, but it was a great way to start the story)..

So visually just a fantastic film, Afleck has a great eye (or his staff does)... and eh.. the story is ok (totally rehashed).. oh well...