Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Town

Default The Town

I wrote this about "The Town" back at the beginning of the year when I created my lists:

• Ben Affleck is a bank robber! Oh my! Affleck throws out some turds in between his good movies…jesus, I just looked and Affleck hasn’t had a good movie in a long, long, long time. 1997, "Good Will Hunting" and "Chasing Amy"…then crap, crap, crap, crap...
    • Anyway, Ben Affleck is a bank robber, along with Jeremy Renner (The Hurt Locker), and a couple other guys, along with some FBI agents and ladies (including Blake Lively). The movie apparently follows Affleck & his team after the heist as the FBI attempts to catch them. If they go “Reservoir Dogs” it could be good. Affleck is directing, so that might actually help this film, as “Gone Baby Gone” was great (also directed by Affleck). I could see it crash and burn if it’s a standard bank robber movie.
    There is finally a trailer for this flick and I have to say, it looks great. I put it on my "Surprises of 2010" and if the movie holds up to the trailer it will be a surprise hit.

Of course it could end up being a standard "main guys is actually one of the bank robbers" movie, but they're already showing that Affleck is one of the guys behind the masks in the trailer, so there's probably more to it than this.

Looks good!

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/thetown/

This movie was the best i have seen in 3 years at least. I am a huge fan of HEAT. It was pinnacle for DiNiro, Pacino, and Kilmer. Sizemore was also very good. Heat had some fantastic scenes including one of the best street shootouts in any movie ever.

The Town is a much upgraded Heat for the next generation. It is more stylistic (being set in Charlestown Boston vs a more bland L.A.) It is very well written and directed.

Go see it.

5/5
    RIP Rocklobster & Straph

I dunno if it was like Heat as I have never seen Heat, keep your goddamn comment about that to yourselves! The Town was definitely amazing though. I reaaaaaaaly hate Ben Afflek, so i was expecting to be disappointed, and i really hate the hurt locker so Jeremy Renner was not helping, but the movie itself turned out to be really intense with a great story. And let's not forget Mad Men's John Hamm was in this and he hates women so he's doing something right.

Cake - go rent Heat now.

So I just got an android based phone wtf is this taptalk thing?

Its a forum reader app. Get it in the market for free.... but its only free for reading forums, to post you gotta buy it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Seriously go see Heat.

Heat is a whole evening experience. Grab a 6 pack and enjoy.

Make sure you watch it on a good TV with a REALLY GOOD sound system and turn that shit up.
    RIP Rocklobster & Straph

I saw The Town last night. I thought it was a pretty good movie. Great acting, great cast. I think Jeremy Renner made the movie. This movie was like Heat combined with the Departed but I don't think it was as good as either of those films.

I really felt as if this movie was missing something to push it into the catagory with films like The Departed and Heat though. I can't put my finger on what exactly, but I know when I left the theater after seeing The Departed I was like whoaa, and then I got in my phone booth time machine and went home.

I give it a 4/5. I almost deducted another point for Ben Affleck putting in a pointless scene to show off his six pack abs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrillian View Post
    Heat combined with the Departed but I don't think it was as good as either of those films..
    I really liked this movie but didn't love it. I agree with the above quote - just seemed to be missing something. Also, a couple of the get away scenes were quite unbelievable and the Shawshank ending on the beach???? really

4/5 for a decent action movie.