Thread: IPhone version 4 out of 3G and 3GS owners

Default IPhone version 4 out of 3G and 3GS owners

As announced at the WWDC launch of the iPhone 4, iOS 4 will become available to older devices today. Just some of the goodies include multitasking, folders, home screen wallpapers, and 5 x digital zoom for the camera. The 3GS will get all of the new features, while some won’t be able to make it onto the 3G due to hardware limitations. iPhone 4 shipments are on the way and should be landing on the 24th., which will give existing Apple devotees a bit of time to play with the new features first.

It’s hard to say if the 3G is really getting stiffed on multitasking because of technical limits, or Apple just wants to push people to upgrade their devices. One way or the other, it likely won’t take long for someone to shoehorn the full iOS 4 into the 3G, and who knows, maybe even the original. There have been plenty of third-party multitasking solutions in the past, so it seems entirely plausible to get an official one to work.

Beyond the software, iPhone 4 has plenty more to offer, such as an incredibly high-resolution touchscreen (960 x 640) Apple is calling the Retina display. There’s also an especially nice 5 megapixel camera capable of HD video recording, and a front-facing VGA camera used for the new FaceTime video calling service. Everyone on IntoMobile team had their own take on the announcement, but as far as I’m concerned, the only real innovation here is the screen, although the camera is certainly impressive.

If you’re really itching to get iOS 4, crack open Apple’s software update page, and keep refreshing the tab throughout the day. Of course, we’ll be sure to let you know right here as soon as the update goes live, too. For those wondering if they should just grab the iPhone 4 instead, we’ve got some hands-on video and pictures over here to help you decide.

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/06/21...s-4-today.html

Found this on Multi tasking. Looks like it will be ok once the app developers build it into their apps.

1. Multi-tasking is still in its infancy – Apple gave developers very little time to really go full-bore on the problem of multi-tasking. As a result, you’re basically dealing with a form of proto-multi-tasking that may or may not do what you want it to do. MG wrote about this last weekend:

The component that all of these apps share is the ability to do fast app switching. What you may traditionally think of as multitasking isn’t the same on iOS 4. Multiple apps aren’t running all of their functions in the background at once — obviously, this would take up resources and eat up battery life. Instead, Apple allows third-party apps to do certain functions in the background now, as well as create an easy way for all apps to save their states to enable this fast app switching.

So you’re not going to go all Minority Report on your apps. You’ll be able to switch out of one app – a game, say – to hit a GPS program, but there is no definitive guarantee that you’ll be able to swap back into the game where you left off. In fact, Backgrounder, a jailbroken app for background activity, works better than multi-tasking in iOS 4.0 right now.

PRO TIP – Slide the icons to the left to reveal iPod controls.

I'm upgrading my O/S tonight on my 3GS and pre-ordered my iPhone 4 last week. Should be here...um...mid-July? Wheeeee

Right now the only real use for multi-tasking for me is if you're listening to Pandora and you get a text or something. Nothing else is really optimized for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
    I lol'ed :P

I guess this video proves that ATT is afraid of the data use face time would use over 3G. This is using a Verizon Mifi portable hotspot (guess you could use the EVOs 4G too lol)

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="437" height="265" id="viddler">