Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruse (rts)

Default Ruse (rts)

Klaus you need to rename this thread "Games Forum"!!

New game popped up on Steam, called Ruse. It's currently only in public beta and the multiplayer is the only part of the game that is available for testing at this stage.

I don't have too much time at the moment to babble on, but its a really fucking sweet game. It has more of the old school C&C feel to me, though of course has amazing graphics and is a completely new game.

I couldn't get into the new C&C, just too much shit going on for me to show the slightest interest.

If any of you enjoy RTS/C&C type games, this is actually really enjoyable. The multiplayer has many game types, FFA, 1v1, 2v2 etc. It's quite easy to pick up after about the 2nd game.

As far as I'm aware, the public beta is still available for a free download. Public Beta lasts about 26 more days. Just type in Ruse on steam search and download it to play. If anyone wants to team up and own some noobs, I'd love a partner.

RUSE - Open Beta rookie video

Pump Fake Strategy: Walkthrough Video High Definition.

How to play RUSE

Just showing what the game has to offer. The graphics are pretty good, though the game is lagging when your against more than 4 opponents it seems. Players with poor connections can possibly time out and cause the game to basically freeze. The game is over at that point because no one else can play.

Other than getting stuck in the game (gotta ctrl+alt+del) it's fun wants you pick up a basic strategy. If your a fan of any RTS this game is a blast. Get the free month of beta while it lasts!

Bad ass! I really miss the early CC games (up until Generals). I will try this out on Steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
    Bad ass! I really miss the early CC games (up until Generals). I will try this out on Steam.
    I agree 100% klauso. I loved every C&C game until Generals. From then on the game took a different direction. I bought Tiberium Wars about a year ago and still havent played passed the first few maps, just isn't very fun.

Ruse takes a few games to get the hang of. But it's really enjoyable when you have a 2v2 or 3v3. The games lag when one person has a bad connection, so it can be kind of annoying.

The maps are so huge and it feels like you're playing on a checkerboard at the same time. Ruse abilities are really interesting to use, I'm still figuring them out.

Graphics are great, vehicles seem balanced when you know what your against. You can build, Armor Bases (Basic Tanks), Artillery and Anti-Air(Long range attack tanks, mortar unit, great anti air tank), Barracks(Basic Infantry and Scouting Vehicle for extra speed), Air Field(Basic Plane, Bomber, Attack Bomber, Paratroops) Anti Tank Base (Nuff said) and a new one I got to just a game ago called Prototype Base. Basically much stronger, larger tanks.

Most tanks can be upgraded that increase their damage and the look of the tank, but also increases the costs.

Game is really fun and suggest to anyone who enjoys RTS. Just remember it's in Beta, still not running perfect.

Tried it out last night for one game against the AI. So far I am really liking it. I didn't get to far into the "ruse" part of the game but the combat and construction is cool. It's a bit different then C&C with unit commands and grouping (which I haven't figured out yet really) but I can see potential. Graphics had some glitches but ran pretty smooth. I suppose I should read the instructions today and try some more games tonight.

Thanks for the tip Kurise on this game - I rarely check upcoming games on Steam.

My first few games were online, I didn't realize till a few games that there was a Skirmish type game.

Quick tip against the AI. They go on the offensive very quickly, usually sending light tanks/infantry directly for you. I lost my first 2-3 games against the easy AI because I didn't adapt my strategy to counter the computer.

I just try to play a little more defensively at the start. Quickly get out 3-4 Supply Lines then build an Armor base. Placing your Unit bases is very key in this game I feel. If you position them too far back, it takes the tanks too long to move into position. I always build my Armor Bases a section forward from my Main base, then start fortifying that area.

As for online, I really like the Anti-Air/Artillery base. The mobile Artillery isn't crazy strong against tanks, but they have huge range, which makes up for it. There is also a really good Anti-Air vehicle that has great damage against planes once you upgrade the tank.

The 1st available, stationary Artillerty that looks like a mortar seems bugged to me. I've only had them work one game, where they would fire on targets. Other than that, anytime I select them to attack enemy targets, they just start moving towards them.

What's the best way to select units? In CC I loved to double click a tank to select all tanks on the screen - in Ruse it appears grab all units on the screen or none. Also the right click to attack of CC is hard to stop doing.

Yeah, I'm not doing anything special with targeting. Just click and drag usually for me.

I do have trouble with ordering the units to attack an area or other units.

As for the stacking, I have no clue how to split a group. Sometimes I'll have an Anti Air bunched up with a Tank or Art and it can be a pain to try to seperate them.

And I don't think there will be an All Unit attack button though. I believe they want us controlling each unit group individually, rather than build x number of tanks and zerging.

Had a good game this afternoon after work. Built 3 Supply Lines and got the Armor bas up really quick and sent 3 Light Tanks to harass the enemy. It was a 2 v 2 and the enemy closest to be, which I was attacking, chose to use Bombers as the starting attack. He has able to make 2 runs on my Armor Base and destroy it, but by this point I had at least 1 AA gun ready to defend. While he made his 2 bombing runs, I sent those 3 tanks North and destroyed his Planes as they landed then the runway.

All that happened within the first 3-4 minutes I'd say. I usually don't use a blitz type rush when I play multiplayer, but it seems very good to catch them off guard and give you a huge lead.

Tried a couple games against no one last night to get a good build order and you are correct for me it's all about location. The closer I build my base to the center of the map the better I do against the computer. Still haven't won a game but I come close now. Marching those anti tank artillery placements toward the computers stuff (like the cannon strat in Starcraft) has been the most sucessful strat for me. I like that you aren't tied down by any type of power requirement - just the one resource.

3 Supply Lines, Armor Base, 3 Light Tanks.

Start off quickly with that. Then I build Anti-Air ARtillery and build the Priest cannon things.

Gotta go to work or I'd elaborate more.