Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: iPad

Quote Originally Posted by Cake View Post
    It's a great piece of equipment for non-discretionary jacking off to HD pr0n but that's about it.

Oh, sorry it doesn't support flash or have a HD screen

so it's less useful on an airplane than my ipod touch, dually noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
    Problem is they are trying to compete with tablets not eReaders. As a eReader this rocks (but very expensive) as a tablet not so much.

Yeah I think they are close but missed the ideal niche for this thing... More tablet like features and it could of made quite an impact for field data collection (especially with the ability to transfer data realtime to a home base on 3G)... Scientists, utilities, surveying, even delivery services...

I've used data loggers over the years and there is always some office bound IT guy who wants us to lug around a laptop, it just dont work... But the problem with the nice loggers is coming up with the right software and data entry.. Its always buggy as hell.. With a uniform platform the software dev would be easier I assume..

All it will take is for Google or Microsoft to come out with a similar product that's completely unlocked and there you go - iPad = Dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvester View Post
    That's actually a good idea. There's money to be made there. You better patent that idea quickly.
    Too late

http://www.slipperybrick.com/2010/01...pad-kickstand/

I'm actually interested in getting one of these.

I think the problem people have with this iPad is that they're expecting it to be something it isn't. It's not supposed to be a laptop computer, it's meant to be this "in between" machine that is specific for internet, movies, casual games (iPhone type), ebooks, picture browsing, facebooking, etc, without the need to sit down at a desk and do it.

I'm thinking that this would be perfect for our upstairs at my house. We have my massive PC for gaming and computing downstairs in the office, but I can't tell you how often my wife and I are upstairs and will be dinking around on our iPhones checking email, facebook, sending texts, etc. (I know this isn't a phone and won't be used for texting, but you know what I mean). I could totally see this being perfect for that type of setting.

And the whole ebook angle with iBooks is one of the biggest reasons I'm interested. I am so far behind on my reading, and even though I've installed Stanza on my iPhone and have been reading books on that, I often wish that the screen was bigger. So the iPad fills a huge need for me there.

Plus, every single iPhone app works for it, and let me tell you, I've bought about 10 different iPhone apps for my 2.5 year old and she loves it. I'm imagining that for long trips the iPad and it's 10 hour battery life will be a godsend for parents traveling with young kids. Movies (without needing to haul around DVD's), games (without having to haul around anything other than the iPad), and then once you get to your destination you've basically got a machine that can check your email/internet at the hotel? Sounds perfect for that.

Yes, it has flaws, but I'm looking at it as this "in-between" machine. Yes, it's just a big iPhone, but I WANT a big iPhone! I'd like to buy the 64gb, 3G model when it comes out in, what June? We'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by Jomama View Post
    Yeah I think they are close but missed the ideal niche for this thing... More tablet like features and it could of made quite an impact for field data collection (especially with the ability to transfer data realtime to a home base on 3G)... Scientists, utilities, surveying, even delivery services...
    I was going to say something about that. Like Apple looked at what kind of tablet they could make, either one that would be used for business to do data collection, (what you're mentioning) or something for people to use at home for casual computing. Looks like they went with the latter.

I honestly doubt that Apple would be the company to come out with a true business class tablet for that. I'd figure someone like Panasonic with their ToughBooks would be all over this niche, but who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by Naya View Post
    All it will take is for Google or Microsoft to come out with a similar product that's completely unlocked and there you go - iPad = Dead.
    Like the Zune?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post

Dammit Rich...I told you to be quick about this!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Yes, it has flaws, but I'm looking at it as this "in-between" machine. Yes, it's just a big iPhone, but I WANT a big iPhone! I'd like to buy the 64gb, 3G model when it comes out in, what June? We'll see...
    I agree for an eReader this is definitely in the deluxe category. I still think for the 64gb with 3G you are looking at $900 at least and $30 a month.... A tablet laptop would be cheaper and include a keyboard (with USB hookups!).

Funny I actually read in a review that the iPad is gonna kill flash by not including it..... lol