Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Boondock's Movies of 2010

Thumbs up

Thumbs up for the original "Let the Right One In"

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post

October 1
    Let Me In

• You can go see this movie right now if you get “Let The Right One In”, a Swedish film that has won about 50 international film awards. The story is about a 12 year old boy who develops a friendship with a girl, who turns out to be a vampire. The trailers I saw were freaky looking, and the movie looked very intense. Of course you have to be able to read subtitles since it’s not in English, but this “Let Me In” is the English language remake.
    • I’ve seen bloggers just gushing over how good “Let The Right One In” was, so it’s likely that this movie will do well, especially with how popular anything vampire is right now, but something about remaking a movie that’s already outstanding makes me wonder if it won’t be a runaway success like the original was. We’ll see…

I saw the original recently. Pretty damn good imo.. Higher production quality than I expected for a small film from Sweden. Some really good camera work, and limited use of FX and CGI really added to some suspense & creepyness... Boon is right, its very intense at times... And they used some cool, very subtle changes in the vampire girl's looks, to show thats she's actually very old, just in a little girls body, that came out absolutely fantastic on film..

I don't mind the subtitles, and imo, they will lame it up in the remake, or even worse... I bet the english version will "cute-sie" it up... barf... I bet they ruin it.....

Solid 4 of 5 stars. Available to stream on Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomama View Post
    I bet the english version will "cute-sie" it up... barf... I bet they ruin it.....
    95% sure they will too...

I was just thinking about how they fuck that stuff up almost every time and particularly, the steaming pile that is "Vanilla Sky"
    RIP Rocklobster & Straph

Quote Originally Posted by Chadwick View Post

I was just thinking about how they fuck that stuff up almost every time and particularly, the steaming pile that is "Vanilla Sky"
    I just noticed the original the other day. Did you see it? Any good?

I don't mind the subtitles, and imo, they will lame it up in the remake, or even worse... I bet the english version will "cute-sie" it up... barf... I bet they ruin it.....
    May have to take it back... The english remake trailer is here
    http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2010/07/...pid-foreigners

Stars the little girl from Kick-ass and the boy from The Road..

July 14, 2010 changes:

Biggest of 2010
    • Toy Story 3 - Fixed poster
    • Dinner For Schmucks - Fixed poster
    • Legend of the Guardians - Added poster
    • Predators - Fixed poster
    • Harry Potter 7 - Fixed poster
    • Little Fockers - Added poster

FAILS of 2010
    • Piranha 3-D - Added poster
    • The Karate Kid - Fixed poster

Surprises of 2010
    • Red - Added poster & release date

September 13th changes:

Biggest of 2010

Fixed/added posters for:
    • Toy Story 3
    • Salt
    • Beastly
    • Legend of Guardians
    • Due date
    • Tangled
    • Harry Potter 7
    • Little Fockers

Removed "Your Higness" as it was pushed to 2011

FAILS of 2010

Fixed/added posters for:
    • Yogi Bear

Surprises of 2010

Fixed/added posters for:
    • Machete
    • The Town
    • Jackass 3-D
    • Red
    • Unstoppable

God what a year of shit...FULL of fails. But, there were some very bright spots...

My top 5 for 2010:

1. The Town
    2. The Social Network
    3. Toy Story 3
    4. Harry Potter 7 part 1
    5. Inception

Tangled Looks entertaining though...i have a date with kelly and all her nieces to see this on sunday...

SPECIAL MENTION: One that i really liked, and very much surprised me was:

The Green Zone

Fantastic writing and directing. Also Matt Damon fits this role even a little better than Jason Borne.. One of these days i would like to read up on what of that is fiction and what is based in fact....very compelling story.

Some other surprises for me were Kick Ass, and Prince of Persia. Not great movies but better than i expected.
    Last edited by Chadwick; 12-01-2010 at 01:18 PM.
    RIP Rocklobster & Straph

Thumbs up for the original "Let the Right One In"

I saw the original recently. Pretty damn good imo.. Higher production quality than I expected for a small film from Sweden. Some really good camera work, and limited use of FX and CGI really added to some suspense & creepyness... Boon is right, its very intense at times... And they used some cool, very subtle changes in the vampire girl's looks, to show thats she's actually very old, just in a little girls body, that came out absolutely fantastic on film..

Solid 4 of 5 stars. Available to stream on Netflix.
    I liked the Swedish version of the film, pretty true to the book. Although the book is a bit more screwed up if you can believe it.

The film was well done but one thing I've noticed with Swedish films is they make the movies with the assumption that the person had read the book. I noticed this with the Millenium trilogy as well.

I thought the film didn't do the relationship between Eli and her caretalker justice. There were some pretty gruesome parts of the book that they just cut out completely as well.

Also they hint at
    ( Click to show/hide )
    what Eli really is, gender-wise, but they never really expand on it at all

I've actually heard the American remake is quite good and very true to both the book and the original film. Stephen King named it his top movie of 2010. I wanted to see it in theaters but it was gone after a week.

My Top 5 for 2010:

1. Inception
    2. The Social Network
    3. Kick Ass
    4. Scott Pilgrim
    5. Jackass 3-D

I didn't see The Town but I want to. I also think Inception was head and shoulders above the 2nd place movie. I've seen Inception at least 4 times already.

I can't in good conscience go back and add "The Social Network" now, but I wanted to months ago. I just didn't believe it would be as big or as good as it apparently is. I should have figured.

I did however just add "True Grit" to the Best Of 2010. I read about it months ago but details were sketchy. Now that I know it's being released this year, it's definitely on the Best Of.

My "2010 report card" & "Films of 2011" coming soon!