PDA

View Full Version : Home Automation

Klaus
11-30-2016, 08:33 AM
As I am setting my Smartthings up and configuring a bunch of stuff (to be ready for Google Home at Xmas) I found this gem...;)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZfCfTYZJWtI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Klaus
12-06-2016, 04:17 PM
We have been having a lot of mail theft in our neighborhood so I put a sensor in my mailbox that alerts me when opened after 10pm. Last night they came again but the sensor hasn't been working (probably because inside a metal mailbox). Got them on camera but you can't read plates at night.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7F5f6YgISNs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Klaus
12-16-2016, 10:34 AM
They caught the guys in my video and it's being used as evidence against them..... I also figured out how to adjust the camera's shutter speed so I get plates at night.

Joe - what are you using your color change bulbs for? I want to get a few to add to my smartthings system but haven't found a super useful reason ;) I have some of the smart bulbs but they are just white and putting them in lamps hasn't worked well as people turn them off at the lamp defeating the purpose.

Jomama
12-19-2016, 01:04 PM
Nice, thats gotta be fun to contribute that footage. We've had a lot of this lately in Anchorage too. I got on the Nextdoor app just to keep apprised of reports like this in my neighborhood. Definitely thinking of getting a some kind of external security cam system soon.

I have them in my living room, one above the front entry, one in a hanging lamp above the table and one in the area behind our couch outside the bathroom door. My gf hasn't gotten into them as much as I, so I haven't had a chance to develop the auto-on/schedules, but will toy with this over the holidays. You do kinda need to develop a habit of using the app and schedule instead of switches (or get the Hue dimmer switchs).. But I love the different colors and the ability to dim the light behind our couch, added more light to our room without being too harsh. Also, the ability to change from a "daytime" whiter brighter light for reading and well lit activities, to a nighttime "relaxing" hue that is dimmer and keeps the room lit for TV watching w/out being harsh, is fantastic imo... I'm very light sensitive, hate the color of CFL's, find most overhead lights too bright. I've always really liked the light LED lights put out since they became available in standard bulb sizes, very natural imo, but the ability to change from a natural to a cool white is the perfect feature imo... At least I use it..

Even set the one in the doorway to a flickering fireplace hue at night which can be seen thru our glass door to the outside.

I really got this starter set because I wanted to get a few Hue Bloom lights, we have a shelf in a corner and its kinda dark so I want a Hue bloom light facing the wall behind it. And I have under cabinet led light strips, and have a few ideas for new ones and will start to replace them with the Hue light strips, will just wait till a day that Amazon has deals on this stuff tho..

Jomama
12-19-2016, 02:53 PM
Hue Bridge w/2 Hue bulb starter set is $56 today. http://deals.kinja.com/todays-best-deals-harmony-remotes-warner-bros-box-se-1790270781

Klaus
12-19-2016, 07:51 PM
If I get into Hue it will be for color changing stuff. I have plenty of the white smart bulbs. I do like the bloom light a lot.

My biggest problem so far is the same thing I really like about these bulb/switches.... They mesh together to make a huge network BUT when Michelle turns off the lamb at the front of the house at the switch my outside lights don't work because they are out of range. With the bulb powered it extends the range of my network outside and into the basement below. It took me a couple days to figure it. Worked great when I set it up and tested by the next day the outside lights didn't come on.... grrr

Jomama
12-20-2016, 12:52 PM
Those bulbs that come with that starter set are color changing, I think all of the hue are. But you need the starter set to get the Hue bridge, before getting the bloom lights.

Take the switch out so it cant be turned off. If I start using them enough I will remove some of mine and just put a blank switch in.

Klaus
12-20-2016, 01:01 PM
They are the white color change only. I have similar blubs that are $8 each that are Zigbee and connect directly. I will see if the color change bulbs go on sale after Xmas.

Jomama
12-20-2016, 01:22 PM
Ah I missed the "white" part, thought it was just a 2 bulb version of what I got like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014H2P4KW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Klaus
12-20-2016, 01:27 PM
Yeah your kit is what I want. I would like to change the color on my outdoor bulbs too. I notice about 50% of our neighborhood have color change lights (or several bulbs).

Klaus
12-27-2016, 11:52 AM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jCx7yI77N_o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jomama
01-03-2017, 12:55 PM
lol, thats great!

I'm liking G Home more than I expected, definitely makes the smart lights more user friendly, need some more hue bulbs to go on sale.

Klaus
01-04-2017, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I haven't seen any "slickdeals" on Hue yet. I should have set up the Home a month ago when I did my Smartthings hub because I forget to use home to activate the lights all the time. I guess I just need to force myself to use it more. I have almost everything automated based on time of day now. I don't care if I leave stuff on because it auto turns off at 11pm etc. Now that we took down our Christmas stuff I have two smart outlets I need to figure out something to do with. Maybe a space heater or on the dryer to send a notification when the load is finished (based on voltage drop) not sure yet.

Jomama
01-05-2017, 02:07 PM
You know you can call it "Ok Boobo" and that works too.. lol

The dimming to a percentage via voice command is all we're doing now, its the shit!

Klaus
02-21-2017, 10:46 AM
Michelle and I were in Duluth this weekend and her Mom got locked out of the house. We use the garage door keypad exclusively for entry and leave the backdoor/mud room door unlocked. Somehow it got locked and Grandma and Zach couldn't get in. The only person with a key is our Nanny who was also out of town....

Anyway, decided to invest in a front smart lock. Picked up the Schlage Connect deadbolt. Install was easy and after doing a factory reset and moving my smart things hub close to it I got it set up on the Zwave network. Everyone has their own code and I have Smartthing set up to notify me on my phone when a code is used. I also have it set to auto lock after 30 minutes and to lock at night when the night mode is set (10pm). So far I love it.

Klaus
03-23-2017, 08:45 AM
I have been troubleshooting my mailbox sensor (Smartthings Multi Sensor) that is supposed to signal when the mailbox is opened after 10pm. It's out of range most of the time and I missed the two times the guys came through the neighborhood in the last couple months. Smartthings hub has two antennas inside it - ZWave and Zigbee so basically I have two mess networks running. They rebroadcast only their own protocol.... Below is my list of which is on each network for my own reference. Devices on battery power do not reboardcast signals.

Zigbee
Basement Leak Sensor (battery)
Arrival Sensor ST (battery)
Front Door Sensor (battery)
Mailbox Sensor (battery)
Bulb - Lamp Kitchen hall
Bulb - Loft
Bulb - Office
ST outlet
ST Motion Sensor (battery)
Mudroom Door Sensor (battery)

ZWave
Doorbell speaker
Front door Lock (battery)
Front door GE switch
Greatroom switch
Sliding Door Sensor (battery)
GE Outdoor outlet
Motion Sensor 4 in 1 (battery)

Klaus
10-24-2017, 08:14 AM
We have been having a lot of mail theft in our neighborhood so I put a sensor in my mailbox that alerts me when opened after 10pm. Last night they came again but the sensor hasn't been working (probably because inside a metal mailbox). Got them on camera but you can't read plates at night.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7F5f6YgISNs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Got another mail theft this weekend. We were gone over the weekend so our mailbox was full (hopefully of junkmail). This time I had the camera exposure set for plates and got a good plate. Filled a report but unsure if they will actually follow up on it even with a good plate.

Jomama
10-24-2017, 12:04 PM
Time for one of these.. I did it years ago when someone messed with my mail one day. Enough of a deterrent to get them to move to the next box and leave your shit alone..

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=locking+mailbox

Klaus
10-24-2017, 12:21 PM
We have sets of 4 mailboxes - those fit on the outside two but the middle two there isn't room. The guys last winter must have had a hammer or something because they just ripped those open. Best defense is getting my mail everyday (which I do when not out of town)

Klaus
10-24-2017, 12:29 PM
Also, I got my Hue hub yesterday and installed it. Linked the Hue Go light to it and linked it with my Smartthings hub and app. Everything works flawlessly. Nice app. Just wish I had more use for colored lights.

Jomama
10-24-2017, 02:04 PM
Just wish I had more use for colored lights.

I ordered two more of the bloom lights under that deal, I didn't have the need for the more expensive/portable Go's but I like the idea.

There are little apps that can turn it into good holiday lighting, or figure out how to sync it to music for parties and such...

I use the red color hues alot at night on our shelves to give some indirect lighting to the room while watching TV. In theory the red hue's keep your low-light vision intact, stuff like that. If you dont have your tv back lit you could use them for that during movies and such. I added a light strip behind my tv years ago and it definitely reduces eye strain.

Klaus
10-24-2017, 02:23 PM
BTW Home Depot has the $199 Color Starter Kit (3 bulbs and hub) on clearance for $50 this week if you have a Home Depot up there ;)

Klaus
10-26-2017, 08:12 AM
Do you use any 3rd party Hue apps to control your lights? There are so many I don't know which is better. I kinda like the "dynamic" themes that change color every couple minutes. I didn't find that in the official app (well it's kinda under labs). I did score some colored bulbs on ebay last night. Not sure how I am going to use them yet. Might light up behind my PC with a lamp like this:

Jomama
10-26-2017, 11:55 AM
Along with the oem app, I've got Hue Pro, Hue Switcher and OnSwitch on my phone. They are just for fun tho really.. I used the holiday settings and fireplace/candle settings before for soft lighting. Mostly its just all connected to my G-home and we use voice controls for it but I have a much smaller space than you.. I got the LED lightstrip too a while back when it was on sale but haven't figured out a place to put it yet.

Jomama
10-26-2017, 12:08 PM
I'd definitely like to get it hooked up to video game health bars if someone gets that setup easy..

Klaus
10-27-2017, 08:59 AM
I connected my Hue account to the ESPN IFTTT. I just turned on the when a Vikings game starts turn my Hue purple. Not sure if it works yet. I will set up some Wild scoring blinks when I get a chance (and more bulbs).

Jomama
10-27-2017, 11:47 AM
Thats kinda cool, especially when you are entertaining during a game.

Klaus
10-27-2017, 12:04 PM
Here is the link https://ifttt.com/connect/espn/hue

Not sure how useful it will be depending on the latency. If it goes off before I see it on tv it won't be useful. I assume it will be late.

Klaus
11-14-2017, 01:16 PM
Picked up a Hue dimmer switch. Makes using the bulbs in the bedroom lamps way more practical. I have only caught Michelle using the lamps switch once.

Jomama
11-14-2017, 02:04 PM
Need to add the home mini to your bedroom so you can just voice command it. Black friday deal on it will be cheap..

Klaus
11-14-2017, 02:36 PM
Yeah already planning on picking one up from Target @ $30.

Klaus
12-05-2017, 02:26 PM
I really wish Amazon and Google would come to an agreement. It's annoying not having Amazon video on my chromecast and no youtube on Amazon products...

"We've been trying to reach agreement with Amazon to give consumers access to each other's products and services," a Google spokesperson said in a statement. "But Amazon doesn't carry Google products like Chromecast and Google Home, doesn't make Prime Video available for Google Cast users, and last month stopped selling some of Nest's latest products. Given this lack of reciprocity, we are no longer supporting YouTube on Echo Show and FireTV. We hope we can reach an agreement to resolve these issues soon."

Klaus
12-29-2017, 11:42 AM
Have you tried the "ok google broadcast" feature yet? After having two Google Home's in our house (one mini/one big) we have started to use it as an intercom. Michelle was sick and with the mini on her night table she could do "ok google broadcast bring me some ice water" - it then makes an attention noise and plays "bring me some ice water" out of the main Google Home. Very handy.

You can also do it from your phone that is linked with your home from anywhere. On my way home I can do ok google broadcast I am on my way home and it will broadcast it out of all the Google homes.

Jomama
01-02-2018, 12:36 PM
lol my place is not big enough to need an intercom but thats a neat feature.

Klaus
01-23-2018, 11:59 AM
I have some $15 LED strip lights behind my gaming monitor. A new power supply IR unit came out that will make them wifi enabled for $14. I ended up getting another set of light for $10 more (total of $24 last week). I didn't want to spend the $80 for Hue strips. Anyway - they work great. The App is decent but you can add them to rooms under Google Home or Alexa. So saying turn off loft for me turns off two hue blubs and the cheap light strip that I put behind my TV. Also - "change loft to green" for wild game works.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072DXFKRH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Klaus
07-07-2018, 09:01 AM
Tried the Hue Light Sync App that works outside of the Razor Application and it works much better. It doesn't have integration in games like Overwatch where it will do colors based on your health but it work on all games and apps. It used the colors on your screen to change the Hue colors. It's very fast with no lag. It does use some CPU power but overall it's cool even when browsing the web.

https://www2.meethue.com/en-us/entertainment/hue-sync

Klaus
07-24-2018, 10:10 AM
Picked up a lightstrip and a couple more color bulbs on Prime Day. Really like the colors are all the same now (I had a $10 wifi light strip in my office that never matched the hue colors).