PDA

View Full Version : Cabelas

MnWilly
01-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Just thought I would share a quick tid-bit about Cabelas. Late December 2010 (13 months ago) I bought what I thought was a really nice "hub" style ice shelter for a very reasonable price (159.99). IT WAS A CABELAS BRAND SHELTER. Worked perfectly for the 10-12 times that I set it up and used it both as a ice fishing shelter and a "warming house" for my skating rink. The other day I set it up and one of the poles poked right through the fabric. On these "hub" style shelters the tension is critical to the function of the shelter and it really doesnt function without the tension and the shelter becomes useless.

I did an online chat using my order number and receipt with a Cabelas customer service rep. She told me no problem that I could send it in or bring it to a store and exchange it no problem.

Well, I went to the Owatonna store today and it wasn't quite that simple. Turns out Cabelas only warranty is only for 90 DAYS! I have never heard of such a thing! I went back and forth with the lady at the counter until she agreed to exchange it. When I got the new one she asked if I wanted to buy a 1 year warranty for 29.99. Are you kidding me! I have never heard of a product that isn't warranty from factory against defects for less than 1 year. That's bullshit and obviously a money SCAM! I fucking hate SCAMS! I guess if you buy anything "cabelas" brand items you have to BUY the 1 year warranty.

Just a heads up for you guys. Think I might be done with Cabelaa now, Gander is way closer anyway.

Klaus
01-25-2012, 10:10 AM
It's the same scam that Best Buys uses with their own brands like Rocketfish. They only give you 90 days which is BS.

Chadwick
01-25-2012, 01:15 PM
My biggest beef with cabelas is their shit is constantly on backorder, for very long periods of time.

Lyncher
01-25-2012, 06:49 PM
So basically....

1. Bought something and assumed a 1 year warranty
2. Item breaks 13 months later, outside your 1 year assumed warranty anyway
3. Store gives you a new item
4. You are mad
5. Profit?

Kyrillian
01-25-2012, 07:02 PM
Yea I read this as totally cool store agreed to exchange my item that was past warranty. If I ever go outdoors I will go to Cabelas first.

How much was it to upgrade to the 13 month warranty?

Also I imagine they don't give longer warranties because people tend to do rough shit with outdoor equipment. On a long enough timeline I'm sure the odds of an outdoorsy person wrecking a piece of equipment greatly increase. And by long enough I mean 90+ days.