PDA

View Full Version : Nook Color Rooting

Klaus
04-03-2011, 11:24 AM
Extremely easy guide to rooting nook color.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MUoHALWvPts" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Basically, you just make a SD card with some files. Turn off nook. Put that into the nook, plug it into your computer it boots into charging mode.... and roots itself. I was like WTF that's it. After this you have access to the Android market with no other changes to the Nook.

Step two for me was to flash a custom ROM which over writes the software on the nook with standard Android 2.3 (gingerbread) using the most popular ROM out today Cyanogen 7.

WARNING: If you plan to use the nook color as a reader most of the time I would stop at step one. If you do flash Cyanogen 7 you can download the Nook app AND the Amazon app from the market BUT the nook app isn't as feature rich as the built in nook UI on the nook color. It's close and reading books is the same but it doesn't have as nice of a UI.

Instructions:

First time flashing CyanogenMod 7 to the Barnes & Noble Nook Color, or coming from another ROM?
Root the device and install ClockworkMod Recovery. Instructions are available here.
Perform a NANDroid backup of your current ROM.
Format the system, data & cache partitions of your device.
Perform a factory reset.
Flash CyanogenMod.
Optional: Install the Google Apps addon package.

Upgrading from earlier version of CyanogenMod 7?
Perform a NANDroid backup of your current ROM.
Flash CyanogenMod (your Google Apps will be backed up & restored automatically).

Issues?

Experience issues? Please provide the following info:
If the device was hard reboot, please provide the file "/proc/last_kmsg".
If the device was soft reboot or is "bootlooping", please run a logcat and provide the full ourput.
Please use Pastebin when possible.

Download Links:

CyanogenMod:
Latest version: update-cm-7.0.0-RC4-Encore
Download: link
Mirror: link
MD5sum: cb54db554f92ee0706846f8c51362162

Google Apps addon:
Version: gapps-gb-20110307

The CyanogenMod team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/19174-cyanogenmod-7-for-nook-color-v700-rc4-30-march-2011/

Guide to return to stock
http://forum.androidcentral.com/barnes-noble-nook-color/66748-how-return-your-nook-color-1-1-0-stock-re-root.html

Klaus
04-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Encoding Videos for NC

Here's a step by step:
1) locate your presets file (this link handbrake presets will help you.)
2) rename it from user_presets.xml to user_presets.xml.bak
3) copy one of my attached files (use 0.9.5 for the latest version of handbrake) to the same directory
4) rename it to user_presets.xml
If you had any presets already, this will remove them. If you want them back, just copy them from user_presets.xml.bak into the new user_presets.xml.

UPDATE: The above instructions are not necessary. The newest version of Handbrake includes an import option under the presets menu. I've attached a zip file that contains the nook.plist file to import. This should work on all platforms.

UPDATE 1/9/2011: Added revised preset for Handbrake version 0.9.5
UPDATE 1/10/2011: Added step-by-step instructions.
UPDATE 2/9/2011: Added a plist file.
UPDATE 2/27/2011: New nook.zip - Added resolution and aspect ratio settings to the plist file

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=894165

Klaus
04-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Eric - get Tiffs Nook updated... Angry Birds now! (official release)

The NOOK Color Ver1.2.0 update contains new features and enhancements, including:

Access to shop a broad collection of popular NOOK Apps™ to enjoy great games, stay up to date on news and weather, and more

Full-featured free email to check and send web-based email (i.e., Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, AOL) all from one in-box

NOOK Color’s update to Android OS 2.2/Froyo offers system improvements, browser performance and a more complete Web experience giving customers access to enjoy even more video, interactive and animated content. NOOK Color now includes support for Adobe® Flash® Player

NOOK Kids™ exciting new Read and Play titles that bring animation, activities and stories together

NOOK Books Enhanced offer in-page video and audio in a growing number of titles
Enhancements to magazine navigation making it easier to enjoy even more of the growing selection of magazines in NOOK Newsstand

NOOK Friends™ (beta) to see your friends’ reading activities, swap books with LendMe™, share recommendations and discover new titles