PDA

View Full Version : Android Tablets (was Galaxy Tab)

MnWilly
01-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Does anyone own one?

I have a few questions. Do they have GPS. If so, does it work when you have no connections i.e. no wifi, 3g or any cell type connection.

Is a G.T. available without 3G or 4G (wifi) only. Why have a service plan if you can teather with your phone. If it is available without 3 or 4G does it have GPS.

I am thinking with a nice sturdy case and mounting system this would make a nice GPS for the boat, car ect. There are apps for apple that allow you to pre-download lake maps and boating charts that will then work, "off-line".

I know the iPad has GPS that works off-line but it sounds like the GPS chip is imbedded into the 3G chip. So, only the iPad with 3G has GPS at all.

I do not know for sure any of the information I posted so feel free to correct me. This is just the best I could find on-line.

Thanks

MIKE

Klaus
01-27-2011, 03:23 PM
If your reason for getting a tablet is mainly for GPS there will be a TON of lower priced Android tablets hitting the market before summer. Joe just picked up Archos 70 7in tablet for like $220. Of course that doesn't include GPS so a bluetooth receiver is needed (I gave him an old one of mine) - they cost about $35.

The Samsung Galaxy is really nice and it compares well with the ipad but if you want a full featured tablet I would wait for the Ipad2 (summer?) or the Motorola XOOM (March). The Xoom has the new version of Android 3.0 Honeycomb on it that is written just for tablets - unlike the ipad and 2.2 Android tables that are just big smartphone operating systems. Check out this:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6IBAmKafjuU" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D7zheLybA-Q" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Klaus
01-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Here is the Tablet Joe has.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FK3ovYyh-34" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

MnWilly
01-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Those all look good. I really am not interested in having to connect a second device in order to have GPS. It's just a pet peeve of mine to have to connect tons of aftermarket shit to a device to get it to do what you want.

GPS is just one of the things I want it to do. Home "netbook" and a traveling movie player will be just some of my intended uses. Looks like these things are truly the future of computing as they are advancing at break neck speed.

Jomama
01-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Honestly, I think the tablets need some work & refinement.. Mine is no where near as smooth as my ipod Touch... I definitely wouldn't expect mine to hold up to the pounding it might take if hard mounted in a boat.

My thoughts:

1) if you're primary interest is for a good all-around GPS platform... You really cant beat the Nuvi's that don't have fixed map packs.. Some are waterproofed (the 500 series when I bought, prob more now)...

2) After fishing with my BiL at my parents place the last few years and seeing him using the fishing features, large display, it easily justifies the dedicated boat GPS. And I'm generally the type that does buy the one "do-all" if I can of whatever product, instead of buying 3 different specialty versions.

Klaus
01-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Mike - the Galaxy Tab Wifi only version was just announced at CES a couple weeks ago with a price of $499 (or less) I believe. However, there is no information as to if it has GPS (because yes on the normal 3G version just like the iPad GPS is integrated into the same chip). Currently, you can get a Galaxy tab from the Verizon store with no contract for $499 that does have GPS. If you don't sign up for 3G there is no monthly fee and you basically have a Wifi verison.

I agree the lower priced tablets with slower processors won't be as smooth as a ipod touch with a small screen (less pixels to push). The Galaxy is smooth as silk because it uses the 1ghz hummingbird processor that has really nice graphics features. The Motorola Xoom is the first tablet with dual core processors but it's a 10 tablet.

Also, I saw a ton of Android apps for fishing and mapping. Here is one a lot of people liked

NAVIONICS APPS Now Available for Android Smartphones!!

Discover the value of Navionics renowned marine charts and lake maps!

Ideal for boaters, fishermen and water sport enthusiasts of all kinds. Track your navigation while on the water, capture geotagged pictures, and create a virtual travelogue to share with friends via email, Facebook or Twitter.

Added with free update v5.0: User Generated Content for instantly modifying charts to indicate local data and sharing it with the Navionics community!
The most comprehensive features available:

- Wind Overlay
- Show GPS location and POI on Google Maps
- Friendlier chart information retrieval
- New brighter and clearer interface
- Twitter sharing and new sharing interface
- Record/Save tracks, routes
- Capture geotagged pictures of your adventures
- Access the largest database of specialty marine POIs available
- Search marinas and specialty marine POI, with just one click to call
- Check tides & currents, moon phase, sun/moon rise/set
And so much more!

Navionics adds more Android certified compatible models:
Samsung Galaxy S
Samsung Galaxy Tablet

Link (http://www.navionics.com/MobileLakeFeatures.asp?MobileType=Android)

Q. Do I need to have cellular coverage to use the GPS function?
A. With the Android phones , location technology is built into the device. Your approximate location is determined using available information from cellular network data, local Wi-Fi networks (if you have Wi-Fi turned on), and GPS (GPS not available in all locations). Once you have downloaded Navionics Mobile applications to your Android phone, they are resident on your device and are a reliable tool to access charts even when not in cell range.

Jomama
01-27-2011, 10:05 PM
I should of qualified, the cheap tabs, not the galaxy/ipad/xoom level..

MnWilly
01-27-2011, 11:19 PM
Thanks Joe. I agree that it might be tough to stand up to the beating in the boat but I really think in an otter type case with a good RAM mount it would stand a good chance. I would love to get a dedicated COLOR GPS for my boat but they run well over $1,000 and I don't use it enough to justify that. I have a Lowrance H2Oc handheld and I liked it before it quit acquiring satalites for me. Problem is, that both that, and my 5" screen on my boat GPS/Depthfinder are just too small. When you are going across the lake they are just too tough to read.

Scott, that navionics is exactly what I was looking at. It's similar to the chip that I have in my current Lowrance GPS on my boat... only way better. Another iPhone user bought it for our ice fishing trip and it looked great on the iPhone. Can only imagine how nice it would look on a 7" or 10" screen. It looks like you confirmed what I already thought. Looks like Droid based tablets are the same as iPad in that the GPS is built into the 3G chip. I like the suggestion to just buy a 3G one and not take the service. Question, will the GPS work without the 3G part being "active". Guess I could just go to a Verizon store and ask but it's more fun here.

Again, thanks guys.

MIKE

Klaus
01-27-2011, 11:31 PM
I posted that question on the Android forums but I am 80% certain it will still work. BTW the Galaxy Tab is $399 this week at Best Buy..... See the weekly ad if you go to Best Buy.com. It requires a month to month plan - lowest one is 1gig for $20 but you only pay for one month then cancel. That's a incredible price.

Klaus
01-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Not conclusive but a point in the right direction:

The Galaxy Tab contains a Broadcom BCM4751 standalone GPS chip which has A-GPS (assisted GPS). This means the 3G coordinates assist the intregrated chip for a better location reading when there is a 3G signal. The problem might be is this chip is integrated into the 3G circuit stack. Thus, you may get some erroring if a SIM is not inserted.
The simple way to test would be to power the device up without any password lock and the SIM removed. Try the GPS. It should work. but that will be conclusive.

Looks like it does in fact work.

The GPS does in fact work without your data plan. I'm using Google Maps and it works great. I'm guessing that the app caches the map data, then retrieves it as needed. Some tips to remember though;
1. GPS must be enabled.
2. VZW location services must be enabled.
3. Battery must be fully charged or close to fully charged.
4. Airplane Mode must be disabled.

I cannot get a GPS lock without the above conditions met. Hope this helps..

Klaus
01-28-2011, 09:48 AM
Joe have you seen the ODBII Bluetooth apps?

http://androidforums.com/attachments/samsung-galaxy-tab/14894d1294348958-galaxy-tab-head-unit-car-v-rod-speedo.jpg

http://www.portabledashboard.com/fullpics/dg4.png

http://www.portabledashboard.com/

Klaus
01-28-2011, 10:01 AM
http://www.ram-mount.com/Portals/0/Skins/NationalProducts/images/adapt9a.jpg

Kyrillian
01-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Any idea what the Xoom is going to cost yet?

Klaus
01-28-2011, 02:37 PM
There are rumors of it being $699...... but that would price it really high so it's only a rumor at the moment.

Kyrillian
01-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Yeah if it was going to be that much I'd just get an iPad.

Arda has an iPad and absolutely loves it. I don't think there is a day she doesn't use it.

Klaus
02-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Good Comparison here on the Tablets from all operating systems.

HP TouchPad vs. iPad vs. Xoom vs. PlayBook: the tale of the tape (http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/09/hp-touchpad-vs-ipad-vs-xoom-vs-playbook-the-tale-of-the-tape/)

MnWilly
02-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Went to BB and looked at the Tab today.. Looks like it might be a little to small for my taste. I get that they tried to make it small enough for purses and such but a 7" screen isn't going to cut it for me. Not enough bigger than my phone screen to really make a big differance.

So, I will be waiting for a few months and checking out the 9 and 10" screen models that are coming out. Looks like the market is going to "explode" over the next few months with tablets. I will wait a while to see what comes out on top.

And thanks everyone for your input... It is truely appreciated.

Klaus
02-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Samsung preparing a 10.1-inch Galaxy Tab 2 with Honeycomb for this Sunday?

Samsung's MWC 2011 presentation is this Sunday, at 6PM Central European Time (midday for those on the American east coast). We already know it will feature a dual-core evolution to the Galaxy S smartphone and we know for a fact there'll be at least one new tablet on show. Pocket-lint is today filling in some details about said Tab successor by identifying it as a 10.1-inch Android 3.0 device. That means Samsung is stepping right up to Motorola, whose Xoom still looks likely to be the first Honeycomb tablet to ship, and saying it can do better. It might just be able to do it, too, as the new and unnamed Tab is said to be physically smaller than Apple's iPad in spite of having a slightly larger display. Somewhat less believable is the mention of a dual-core Qualcomm processor as the thing to power Samsung's new tablet -- can you really see Samsung undermining the future success of its Orion / Exynos chip by using a competitor's hardware? Then again, weirder things have happened.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/11/samsung-preparing-a-10-1-inch-galaxy-tab-2-with-honeycomb-for-th/

Klaus
02-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Not as bad as was first reported. Pretty much the same price as the iPad. Our Verizon rep was just here - he has a iPad that he loves but he stated the Xoom blows it out of the water. All the widgets you can put on the home screen are "live" with data pushed to them unlike the current Android widgets that refresh at a interval. He said that he was able to watch emails as they come in populate the half screen widgets etc. Pretty cool.

The Motorola Xoom: $800 Unsubsidized, $600 for WiFi-only

There she is. The Motorola Xoom is hitting the market at a whooping $800 sans any carrier subsidize for the 3G version with the WiFi model fetching $600. The Moto’s CEO failed to state in the Reuters report when the Honeycomb tablets will go on sale — or pre-order for that matter — although it could be as early tomorrow. He also failed to address the nagging little disclaimer found in the Best Buy circular indicating that the WiFi will be locked without one month of VZW’s pricey data.

This pricing puts the 32GB Xoom nearly on par with the 32GB iPad. Both tablets ask $600 for the WiFi-only version while the 32GB 3G iPad is just slightly less at $730. Of course that’s for the first gen iPad, with things likely being slightly different for the iPad 2. Apple’s price points could stay very similar to the current model, but the storage level could increase, which would make the Xoom appear in a different tier altogether. It would still sell, though.

Also there is hardware GPS in the WiFi only version!

What's the difference between a WiFi-only Xoom tablet and one equipped with EV-DO Rev. A or HSPA bands? Just $200 and the radio chip within. Motorola just released the full spec sheets for its full lineup of Android Honeycomb tablets, and they're otherwise exactly the same inside. That goes for the Tegra 2 SOC, of course, but also surprisingly the GPS, which is often baked right into the cellular radio in mobile devices like these. Good on Motorola for keeping the functionality in!

Klaus
02-25-2011, 02:11 PM
Good Xoom review:
Review (http://www.intomobile.com/2011/02/23/review-verizon-motorola-xoom-android-tablet-can-honeycomb-take-on-the-ipad/2/)

The Good

Blazing fast Tegra 2 dual-core processor
True multi-tasking (even under heavy load)
Class-leading 3D graphics performance
Silky smooth scrolling and animated transitions
Scrollable widgets
Super fast 4G LTE data connection from Verizon
Large, HD resolution display
Premium fit/finish and build quality
Front-facing and rear-facing (with LED flash) cameras
Built-in microphone for video chatting
HDMI-out with mirror mode for playing games, and web surfing on a TV
Android 3.0 Honeycomb OS is perfectly suited for tablets

The Bad

No 4G at launch
Smudge-tastic metal chassis
Pricey when purchased without contract
Lack of hardware buttons can be confusing
Honeycomb UI is not as intuitive as iOS (iPad)
No microSD card slot
No removable battery
Non-standard charging plug
Hard to seat tablet into optional dock

Kyrillian
02-25-2011, 02:21 PM
The price is kind of a dealbreaker for me on the Xoom. Only thing that might sway me is if the iPad 2 doesn't have an output jack.

Klaus
02-25-2011, 02:25 PM
Yesterday the Xoom was released and there was a $200 off Motorola coupon from the super bowl that worked for the Xoom........ Motorola QUICKLY figured it out and cancelled the coupon code. Would be a decent deal for $200 less.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2_3aQ8AyT7A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Klaus
02-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Actually, I was kind of hoping the iPad 2 had more features at the same price to push down Android tablet prices - but it looks like the iPad 2 will only have a few upgrades...

The iPad 2 is going to be announced on March 2, and there have been rumours abound of a Retina display (or at least higher-res than the original iPad) and an SD memory card slot. Apparently those features have been nixed due to “engineering issues”, although some argue that neither were in the picture in the first place. The source of the rumour said that we can expect an identical screen to the first iPad, more RAM, a new processor, and a camera on either side. There’s also a vague possibility of a lightweight carbon-fiber body, but that’s not locked-down right now.

There are lots of rumours swirling around the announcement next month, including that the next iPad will have NFC, or a mini USB slot, but it’s foolish to hang your hat on any of those possibilities, including the SD card slot or the retina display, barring any evidence beyond whispers and chatter.

Assuming the iPad 2 will be a modest iterative upgrade, will it be able to compete with the slew of competing tablets that will be hitting the market before the summer? The Xoom just came out, and its 10.2-inch 1280 x 800 display edges out the iPad’s 1024 x 768; if the next one has the same screen resolution, even the 7-inch BlackBerry PlayBook stands to offer an equally-crisp image. Then there are extras, like HDMI-out, that has become more or less standard on tablets, and DLNA support for sharing media over Wi-Fi (something Apple’s proprietary AirPlay is trying to tackle). Of course, Apple’s tablet will still have the significant lead in apps and installed base, and it’s assumed that Apple will cut the cost on the original model as they release the new one.

It seems like the number one feature folks are waiting for in the iPad 2 is a camera, and if Apple can pull that off with a few spec bumps, it’ll probably be enough to sell. Any of you guys still dead set on picking up an iPad 2, given the new info?

Klaus
03-02-2011, 03:34 PM
I gotta say the iPad2 didn't have the HUGE upgrades everyone expected. Xoom pretty much wins in all categories...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/02/ipad-2-vs-motorola-xoom-vs-hp-touchpad-vs-blackberry-playbook/#disqus_thread

Eric
03-03-2011, 10:24 AM
iPad 2 = thinner, faster, longer battery, HDMI dongle and camera for Facetime.

Nothing fantastic, but it'll dominate. 40 million iPad's sold this year?

Kyrillian
03-03-2011, 03:39 PM
The big problem with Xoom is going to be the apps. Who cares if it's faster and bigger if it doesn't have half the app library the iPad does.

I for one may be stuck getting an iPad 2 just because it is more likely to have apps for my lesser used work programs so I can integrate it into my work life. For example, we use ACT! by Sage Software to maintain a database with notes, appointments, etc. This company isn't that proactive and they are FINALLY working on an app for the Apple line of products. I doubt they'll come out with an Android app anytime soon.

I also see a lot of complaints from app makers about the Android system/marketplace.

Kyrillian
03-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Also I was looking at these laptops with removeable tablets that are going to come out in the near future. The Lenova one looks cool but my issue with it is in laptop form it will run Windows 7, but when you remove the tablet, it runs on a version of Linux. That just sounds awkward and unnecessary.

Klaus
03-03-2011, 03:55 PM
I agree with availability on Android Honeycomb apps written just for tablets - there aren't many right now.

Developers are having some issues with both Google and Apple's stores. Google is too open and Apple is gready.... Will probably get sorted out soon.

Klaus
03-03-2011, 04:48 PM
http://phandroid.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/xoom-samsclub-550x408.jpg

That's within $40 of the 16GB iPad 2.

Klaus
03-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Galaxy 10.1

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rtqXLGPzVMk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MnWilly
03-12-2011, 08:50 PM
I thought is was supposed to be like $799. What happened?

Klaus
03-12-2011, 11:00 PM
iPad2 is what happened. Hopefully, the new Galaxy 2 10.1 is priced to sell or it will have no chance against the iPad.

Klaus
03-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Nook Color $250 vs Galaxy Tab $550.... Android 2.2

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hCgGWJjHZxc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Klaus
03-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Good deal if you want a 10 in tablet WITHOUT 3.0 Honeycomb.

ViewSonic gTablet Is Today’s Woot.com Deal, Only $279.99
http://phandroid.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/woot-gtab-550x225.jpg

It might not be running Android 3.0 Honeycomb, but for $279.99 you would be a fool to pass up today’s deal over at Woot. The ViewSonic gTablet running Android 2.2 and featuring a 1GHz processor, 10.1-inch screen, and 16GB of on-board storage offers, for the day at least, another alternative for a cheap Android tablet that gives the rooted and modded NOOKcolor a run for it’s money. Another device that has received much love from the development community, the gTablet might be no Motorola XOOM, but for this price, who is complaining?

http://phandroid.com/2011/03/23/viewsonic-gtablet-is-todays-woot-com-deal-only-279-99/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Cons:
No GPS
Needs to be rooted to use full Google Market. (easy)

Klaus
03-25-2011, 10:23 AM
http://www.talkandroid.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/wpid-ASUS_EeePadTransformer_4.jpg

ASUS Introduces the Eee Pad Transformer

– Innovation meets Versatility as ASUS launches the Eee Pad Transformer TF101 tablet with a unique expandable keyboard docking station –

Fremont, CA (March 25, 2011) – ASUS is excited to announce the launch* of the Eee Pad Transformer, the best tablet choice for users looking for media consumption and mobile productivity in an elegant yet versatile design. The ASUS Eee Pad Transformer features the powerful and responsive Android 3.0 operating system, an optional expandable keyboard docking station, and ASUS’ intuitive Waveshare user interface that results in an exciting portable tablet for content creation, social communication, high-definition media playback and smooth realistic game play.

Exciting mini-cinema entertainment on-the-go
Powered by the NVIDIA® Tegra™ 2 dual-core processor, the Transformer browses the web at blazing speeds, providing snappier response times and excellent multi-tasking performance. An IPS (in-plane switching) Panel made from durable and scratch-resistant Corning® Gorilla® Glass is viewable at angles up to 178°, perfect for sharing your favorite photos, web pages, work documents and more with co-workers, friends or family next you or across the room. The 10.1” IPS panel features LED backlighting that provides brilliant and vivid colors at a 1280×800 resolution, perfect for viewing high-definition movies and other media content.

Built-in SRS Sound technology provides a dynamic 3D stereo audio experience, with maximum bass response and a wide sound field from the discrete speakers housed in a thin 0.51” thick chassis that only weighs 1.49lbs. A 1.2MP front-facing camera is perfect for video conferencing while the rear-facing 5MP camera can shoot and record HD video, which can be played back on HDTVs via the mini HDMI output port, making the Eee Pad Transformer a true mobile entertainment device.

Transform from pad to notebook mode with optional keyboard docking station
The Transformer sets itself apart from other tablets on the market by featuring an optional docking station. This unique docking station provides access to a full QWERTY keyboard along with unique Android Function keys, instantly turning the Transformer into a mobile content creation device.

A touchpad, 3.5mm audio jack, two USB ports as well as a built-in SD Card reader for easy file sharing and storage expandability makes the Transformer a versatile media hub. The docking station also extends the Transformer’s 9.5 hours** of battery life up to 16 hours**, so users can use it all day for work or play. In addition, the ultra-convenient ASUS WebStorage* with one year of unlimited storage space provides worry-free cloud computing.

Android 3.0 OS melds with ASUS’ Waveshare UI for a unique user experience
Google’s Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) is a revolutionary operating system specially designed and optimized for tablets, which enables users a rich web experience for on-the-go web browsing, social media activities, video playback and casual gaming. Supporting Adobe® Flash® 10.2*** and the ever growing Android Market, media entertainment is just a finger swipe away. The convenient ASUS Launcher also allows users to easily launch software, manage content and access online services and connect devices with a few simple taps, while ASUS’ Waveshare Interface hosts a variety of unique applications* such as MyNet, MyLibrary, MyCloud and more.

MyNet easily streams digital media wirelessly within home network devices so HD videos or music can be played on devices such as an HDTV or desktop PCs for an even better experience from the Transformer. MyLibrary consolidates downloaded books, magazines and newspapers in to one easy to browse profile while MyCloud is a total cloud solution, providing access to digital content such as music, videos and files from the cloud anywhere, anytime. Users can even use MyCloud to remotely access and control any PC or Mac system and access applications or files to extend the versatility of the Eee Pad Transformer experience.

[via bgr]

Jomama
03-25-2011, 07:33 PM
I keep watching their (ASUS) site for the Eee Note... THere was actually a few days at the begining of Feb where it was on their site, and then the next time I checked it was gone... Hope they were testing it for rollout or something. :confused:

Klaus
03-31-2011, 10:01 AM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/03/11x0331152transfrormer.jpg

Going to be exciting to see the prices on Android tabs start to drop as the competition gets crazy.

Klaus
04-02-2011, 11:35 PM
Picked up a nook with some bestbuy certificates today. Rooted in about 15 min.... awesome 7in tab

Klaus
04-04-2011, 08:17 AM
http://phandroid.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/like-that-but-better-550x277.jpg

Chadwick
04-05-2011, 09:19 AM
I like the ASUS. I'll let them fight it out and get a 1 gen old one eventually.

Klaus
04-05-2011, 10:18 AM
My quick review of the Nook Color:

Pros:
Price - $250 or less for a 7in tablet is awesome.
Ease of use - rooting takes 10 min and you can't brick it due to a built in recovery.
Screen - Awesome screen - great viewing angles.

Cons:
Speed - it's got a 800Mhz processor and lags a bit. OC to 1.2 and its pretty smooth.
No GPS - sucks but with a Android app you can have your phone send the Nook GPS position.
Volume buttons are kinda sticky and cheap.

Overall - I think I will hang on to this through the summer and give it to Michelle for reading to pick up a 10 in Honeycomb tablet. I really enjoy reading on it so far - I still think E ink like the Kindle is better but you need natural light.

Klaus
05-18-2011, 04:25 PM
In stock

Walmart now has ASUS Eee Pad Transformer units in stock and ready to go. I probably shouldn’t type anything else because you guys have probably already clicked away from this page. For the few of you who haven’t, though, they have 32GB and 16GB versions on sale for $500 and $400, respectively. Yes, you’ll want to buy this tablet if a cost-efficient Honeycomb tablet is something you’ve been desiring. Hurry, though – I have a feeling these won’t last the entire evening. [Walmart via Droid-Life]

http://phandroid.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/asus_eee_pad_transformer_custodia-550x304.jpg

MnWilly
05-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Unless I'm mistaken the Asus one looks like the best deal around. Any imput Scott.

Klaus
05-19-2011, 11:43 AM
It's received great reviews so far. It's one of the only Wifi Tablets with GPS and I really like the keyboard option. I find typing on the 7in Nook Color "ok" but for long emails it's a pain. The screen on the Asus is the higher quality IPS panel and it HD widescreen. Higher resolution than IPAD 2 (1280x800 vs 1024x768). HDMI out is a must for media playback and it's got one. Only negative is no USB on the tablet... but if you have the dock there is a USB port.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bvxth_Sxfps" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The main problem with this tablet is it is extremely hard to find in stock. At the $400 pricepoint compared to the Xoom at $550 -$700 its easy to understand why. Also, google just released Honeycomb 3.1 last week that addresses a few of the bugs with the OS - reports are it makes the OS way better.

Klaus
05-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Quick hurry they are in stock at Best Buy. ;)

Klaus
06-07-2011, 06:46 PM
$250 for the Viewsonic G tab...... not android 3.0 but a nice dual core tablet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Viewsonic-gTablet-10.1in-Android-Tablet-%26-eReader/350468986717?clk_rvr_id=238510725345

Naya
06-08-2011, 08:03 AM
That ASUS Eee Pad Transformer looks amazing. I'm much more inclined to buy that at the "less expensive" price than an iPad 2 or the Motorola Xoom.

Edit: Scott, have you seen details about the Acer Iconia Tab? I'm reading many reviews about the ASUS tablet and a LOT of people are reporting hardware failures within 48 hours of ownership. I can attest to ASUS hardware failure; I recently bought a motherboard that had faulty RAM slots and wouldn't even post after installing. I ended up returning it to Newegg for a refund and bought a Gigabyte from Best Buy. Same exact board, different company and it was cheaper.

It's sad, I always heard good things about ASUS until just recently. I'm not sure about this Acer tab though, looking in to it now. (It does have a full sized USB port, something the Xoom and Transformer lack ... but from what I've read so far, it only supports fat32 formated USB sticks. That's not very useful).

Klaus
06-10-2011, 01:21 PM
I would hold off buying a Android Tablet for the next month as tons come out but here is a good deal on the Nook Color if you only want to spend $200.... good reader IMO

Barnes & Noble Nook Color E-Reader/Tablet w/ Wifi (REFURB) $199
Overstock has the Refurbished Barnes and Noble Nook Color Wifi Digital E-Reader/Tablet for $199.00 Free Shipping. Tax in CO, NC, UT. [Compare Prices]
Update: Barnes & Noble just released the 1.2 firmware update which adds lots of new features to the Nook Color. These include popular apps, full featured email & fun social features, and enhanced web with Flash video.

7" 1024x600 color touchscreen LCD
Exclusive LendMe app lets you lend and borrow books from friends, all with just a few taps
Surf the web, check your email, read a favorite blog or search Google
8hr battery life
Magazines and newspapers in rich color
8GB built-in memory w/ MicroSD expansion slot
Supports PDF, Word, and ePub; MP3, JPG files
Be sure to check out our review of the Nook Color here.

http://www.techbargains.com/jump.cfm?clkSubId=A0AC57A00257731A0&afsrc=1&id=362&arg=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.overstock.com%2FElectronics%2 FNook-Color-by-Barnes-Noble-Certified-Pre-Owned%2F5924200%2Fproduct.html

Hauser
06-27-2011, 02:11 PM
I picked up an acer iconia. After doing tons of searching on all the current tablets, it seems like the best android 10.1 at the lower pricepoint and here is why.

It has full sized usb and HDMI ports. You need to buy a dock for the asus transformer for these things. This pretty much sold me. No adapters or docks. Just plug in that keyboard or jump drive or hard drive. You can also plug in a USB 3g card from your wireless carrier!

Solid construction. Aluminum back instead of the flimsy plastic one the asus has. the asus flexes also. This one doesnt at all.

it has gorilla glass. this is a big one for me. I dont like scratches on my screen and its just more durable.

All of the "issues" people complain about on it are software issues and not hardware issues. The other tablets are already on 3.1 while this one is just getting it released in the next week (from 3.0). Most of the issues are already resolved and the little bugs I have seen are not deal breakers.

Naya
07-05-2011, 12:52 PM
After several hours of testing an Acer Iconia, an Asus Transformer, and a Samsung Galaxy 10.1, I went with the Samsung for the following reasons:

1.) Screen/video quality was superior. Very clear, clean, and vivid colors. Very clear whites and a deep non-particle/pixel black.

2.) Housing is solid. No flex in the screen, back panel doesn't feel cheap, buttons don't feel cheap either (some reviewers on some websites complained about these things; I don't see what they're talking about.)

3.) Operates fine on the 1Ghz processor, and Android 3.1 rocks.

4.) No USB port? No Problem. The power charger IS a USB cable. Just like with most android phones, all you have to do is enable USB Debugging and you can transfer data from a desktop without issue.

5.) Speakers are actually quite nice. The sound quality for two tiny speakers is great.

Cons (so far):

1.) No HDMI out. Eh, not a big deal for me. Wasn't planning on hooking it up to a monitor or t.v. anyway. I knew this before I bought it and still got it.

2.) There's no compatible Facebook app at this time. Might be a 3.1 issue. Again, not a big deal because the screen is big enough, I can just use the browser to go to the full website. (Did not know this when I bought it, but I'm pretty sure that might be the same case for the Acer Iconia and most other Android tablets at this time).

3.) It notifies you when the battery is fully charged. The notification ringtone goes off, and the screen lights up even if it was sleeping before. This is EXTREMELY ANNOYING AT 2:30AM. I need to find a way to turn it off except there isn't a Notifications section in the Settings area.

That's it so far. I got an InvisiShield installed on it as well, a Belkin case/cover, and a keyboard dock. I really like the keyboard dock for editing word docs. Dropbox app is the best.

Klaus
07-17-2011, 10:14 AM
There is GPS on the Acer

<iframe width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-nqWJX5C2Fs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Klaus
07-20-2011, 10:36 AM
http://phandroid.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/staples-tablet-coupon-550x439.png

You have to love a good deal, and boy is this deal from Staples good. A reader forwarded us this coupon, good through July 31st, for $100 off any tablet purchased through the retailer. Taking advantage of the savings, you can grab the Asus Eee Pad Transformer for only $299, the Motorola XOOM for $399, the Toshiba Thrive for $379, or the Galaxy Tab 10.1 for as low as $399 among others. The coupon excludes the HP TouchPad, Amazon Kindle, and NOOK, but luckily only one of those three runs Android.

Link (http://phandroid.com/2011/07/20/coupon-for-100-off-any-tablet-at-staples-could-net-you-an-asus-transformer-for-299/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

For record, Staples carries:
$399 - $100 = Asus Transformer
$399 - $100 = Acer Iconia
$499 - $100 = Motorola Xoom
$499 - $100 = BlackBerry PlayBook (32gb, they don't seem to have the 16gb)
$479 - $100 = Toshiba Thrive (16gb)
$299 - $100 = Dell Streak 7

Now, if your store doesn't STOCK a particular tablet (ie: The Asus Transformer is online only), order it online at the in-store kiosk (which has an option to pay at the register), have it shipped to the store, then have them adjust the price using the coupon at the register. Remember, this coupon ISN'T valid online, in store only.

Also, don't forget - don't see what you want or simply hate Staples with a passion? OfficeDepot will be more than happy to accept a competitor's coupon.

OfficeDepot offers: (Prices listed before comp coupon)
$429 - Toshiba Thrive (8gb)
$399 - Asus Transformer (16gb)
$399 - Acer Iconia (16gb)
$499 - Lenovo IdeaPad K1 (32gb)
$299 - ViewSonic GTablet

Klaus
07-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Office Depot will accept this coupon for the Transformer on price match.... Anyone want to buy a Nook Color ;)

Klaus
07-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Nice to see Netflix finally starting to support more phones etc. Now works on Honeycomb tablets.

<iframe width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/w6KDfuPQp_8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Klaus
07-22-2011, 08:14 AM
Hauser here is your loophole....(since all Staples and Office Depot are sold out on tablets after this coupon hit)

The Transformer is only available for ordering online. However, you can use the coupon at the register if you go to the store, go to the online kiosk and order the Transformer. An option will ask if you want to pay at the register and a page for the cashier will print out. Hand the cashier page and the coupon and they should be able to deduct $100 from the price.

If the coupon doesn't work, ask for the cashier to get the manager. I assume they can override the price if needed.

Klaus
08-01-2011, 08:56 AM
I picked up a Acer from Office Max a week ago for $299 with the Staples coupon. The manager was not too happy about it but F him. He was upset that I didn't want the $80 warranty on a $299 tablet.... whatever.

Overall, I love it so far. I don't have a ton of experience with iPad but I would say this is on the level with it. I like my nook color and 7in is great for reading but not the best for day to day web browsing and email. I find that a 10in tablet or iPad in landscape mode is about right for arms length viewing. Honeycomb 3.1 is pretty good and I find it snappy and smooth with the Nvidia dual core processor. There are several games specifically available for the Nvidia powered tablets and I find they are graphically awesome. I hope they launch more in the future. The other tablet specific apps are decent and of course the google apps like gmail and gtalk have a great tablet version. I haven't played with the GPS yet.

Just loaded up some helmet cam 720p @ 60fps video on to the tablet and it handled it no problem - zero shuddering! I hear that Google is in the process of making a Honeycomb video editor - maybe my dream of leaving the netbook home could become reality.

Note on Mounting NTFS harddrives and usb sticks on the a500:

Three apps are needed:
Iconia Root - run once
Busybox - install and run
Drive Mount - run when you plug in a USB hard drive formatted with NTFS.

Klaus
08-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Looks like Target is running a ad on the Acer this week. You get a $100 gift card with purchase ($399 price). Michelle gets an additional 10% off if anyone in MN needs one ;)

Klaus
08-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Looks like the ad is for Aug 14-20th.

Klaus
08-11-2011, 08:30 AM
I installed N64oid and SNES emulators last night, plugged in a PS3 controller, and played Mario64 - Mario Cart64 - James Bond. Played perfectly and looked great on the 10 in screen. Nice having a full size usb port that accepts most game controllers and joysticks.

There is a app that just came out that allows you do connect PS3 controller over BT but I didn't try it yet. There is a free Wii controller one that works well also.

Klaus
08-18-2011, 02:14 PM
I have been using the Xoom bluetooth keyboard with my Acer and it works really well. Best Buy has them for $30 if you can find one (that's 1/2 price)

http://tablets-planet.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/motorola-xoom-bluetooth-keyboard-01.jpg

http://reviews.bestbuy.com/3545/2129423/motorola-bluetooth-wireless-keyboard-for-motorola-xoom-tablets-reviews/reviews.htm

Klaus
08-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Rumor is that a Android port for the HP touchpad (that was just discontinued) will be coming out. If you want to take the gamble..... it's a $99 clearance item at BB and most retailers. Barnes and Noble is the rumored place to find them in stock.

Klaus
08-25-2011, 09:50 AM
<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SWTTVr0lvmo?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HML5xhVCQwY?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Klaus
09-29-2011, 09:04 AM
I actually purchased the above Sprinkle game and I like it better then Angry birds.

Also, Skype is now available for video calling on the Acer and several other Android phones/tablets.

Samsung Nexus S
Samsung Galaxy S 4G
Samsung Galaxy S
Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate
Samsung Droid Charge
Samsung Galaxy S II
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 WIFI
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Verizon
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Sprint
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
HTC Desire
HTC Desire S
HTC Incredible S
HTC Desire HD
HTC EVO 4G
HTC EVO 3D
HTC Sensation 4G
HTC Thunderbolt
HTC Flyer
Sony Ericsson Xperia neo
Sony Ericsson Xperia pro
Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY (Rest of world)
Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY (China)
Sony Ericsson Xperia ray
Sony Ericsson Xperia mini pro
LG Revolution
The following devices have also been white-listed for video calling in this release:
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (T-Mobile)
HTC SHOOTER (KDDI)
Sony Ericsson Xperia Live with Walkman
Sony Ericsson Xperia neo V
Acer Iconia Tablet (A500)
LG Optimus Black LANDSCAPE ONLY
LG Optimus 3D LANDSCAPE ONLY
LG Optimus 2x LANDSCAPE ONLY
Motorola Photon
Motorola Droid3 LANDSCAPE ONLY
Motorola Bionic LANDSCAPE ONLY
Motorola Xoom
Motorola Atrix

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1o6TBezfSpU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Market Link (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.skype.raider)

Klaus
10-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Adobe touch apps (tablet versions of the normal suite they sell) look great. And it's coming to Honeycomb.

<iframe title='AdobeTV video player' width='480' height='296' src='http://dev.tv.adobe.com/embed/805/11360/' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen scrolling='no'></iframe>

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/adobe-touch-apps/how-will-you-create-with-adobe-touch-apps/

Klaus
10-16-2011, 09:49 AM
Good sale on the Toshiba 10.1 tablet at newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-TechBargains&cm_mmc=AFC-TechBargains-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16834214354

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Aut2mPw00bQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Naya
10-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Update on my Samsung Galaxy 10.1:

I still love it and use it on a daily basis. And it's not even because I feel obligated to use it simply because I spent $500 on it. I typically bring it to work with me to mess with during lunch (that is, if I even get a lunch).

There is a FB app now that works nicely. And finally being able to watch Netflix instant play movies/t.v. shows on it is awesome as well.

Klaus
10-19-2011, 08:20 AM
I use my Acer everyday and love it. It still doesn't take over for my netbook 100% but I would say I am finding more situations where it does lately. I really like the OS and looking at Ice Cream Sandwich (released last night) it's only going to get better. App support is slowly getting better for Android tablets but there is a way to go.

I would say I use mine for 30% book reading (Google Books/Nook/Kindle), 20% games (poker, solitaire, golf, emulators, Nvidia Tegra games), 25% web browsing, 25% twitter/facebook/G+.

Klaus
10-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Netflix updated to support all Honeycomb tablets.

market link
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.netflix.mediaclient&hl=en

Klaus
10-21-2011, 02:36 PM
This looks to be a beast...... quad core Tegra 3

http://phandroid.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/transformerlanding.jpeg

Klaus
11-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Surprised the Amazon fire (@ $199) will have netflix ect. I see it as competition for the Ipod touch as the best kids tablet....

Facebook, Twitter, Netflix and 'several thousand' more apps set to hit Kindle Fire next week
By Brian Heater posted Nov 9th 2011 9:51AM

Sure there's little doubt that Kindle Fire will offer up Amazon's top-tier reading features when hits next week, but let's be honest, this is a tablet we're talking about here -- we want to hear about the apps. The budget slate will also play host to "several thousand" other Android apps next week, according to Amazon, including some top-tier names like Facebook, Netflix, Pandora, Rhapsody, Twitter, Comixology, plus popular games like Fruit Ninja and Doodle Jump. The $199 slate starts shipping November 15th. Press release after the break.

Source (http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/09/facebook-twitter-netflix-and-several-thousand-more-apps-set/)

Klaus
11-15-2011, 09:06 AM
Net netflix interface launched today for Android tablets. This is the first launch I have see by a large company with the note "iPad will need to wait a few weeks to get the new interface". I am guessing it's because the Amazon Fire launches today.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/15/netflix-reveals-new-user-interface-experience-for-android-tablet/

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/11/netflix-new-android-ui.jpg

Klaus
11-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Bought Michelle a Kindle Fire for her Bday this week. Good reader for the price. It compares well to the Nook color I had early this year but it's much smoother and has better specs. Personally I prefer my 10 in tablet with every bell and whistle but for $199 its hard to beat.

<script src="http://player.ooyala.com/player.js?embedCode=Fsb3gwMzqIbD5AsTsrC8GiF0G9LgrF 5J&deepLinkEmbedCode=Fsb3gwMzqIbD5AsTsrC8GiF0G9LgrF5J&width=640&video_pcode=11amo6qGw2oucN78pR-BYbDpCESk&height=360"></script>

http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/18/fly-or-die-the-kindle-fire/#ooid=Fsb3gwMzqIbD5AsTsrC8GiF0G9LgrF5J

Klaus
11-23-2011, 12:54 PM
http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/imagecache/w550h500/postimages/79186/market-99-cents.png

The Top 10 movies in the Android market are 99 cent for the next two weeks.

Kyrillian
11-23-2011, 01:58 PM
I got my mom a Kindle Fire for X-mas, haven't played with it yet though. Let me know if you find anything cool to do on it.

Klaus
11-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Kindle Fire is pretty good stock. It will only come with the Amazon App store that is small in comparison to the actual Android Market. Your Mom will probably find everything she needs in the app store but you do have the ability to install any app with a work around. If you can't find something you know she will like hit me with a email and I can send you the app (you transfer it with usb and install).

Klaus
01-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Looks like some really good cheap tablets coming this year.

ASUS MeMo $250 Quad Core tablet (Nvidia Tegra 3)

By now, you hopefully already know about the ASUS MeMO 370T. On paper, the MeMO 370T is a spec’d out 7-inch slate that features nVidia’s powerful Tegra 3 quad-core system on a chip. This tablet screams top-of-the-line, yet ASUS will offer the tablet to consumer for $250. Why would they price this thing so low, you ask?

In short, ASUS simply gets it. They understand that consumers want tablets, perhaps to even replace their laptops, but they don’t want them at laptop prices. Instead, consumers largely see tablets as cooler netbooks, and are looking to spend between $200 and $400 on these devices. Of course, the $500 and up iPad/iPad2 have bucked this tradition, but Apple has a long history of pricing themselves at the very high end of the market (or above), and still selling a multitude of devices to their fanbase.

The biggest reason Android tablet sales haven’t taken off is because they’ve been priced to compete with iPads instead of netbooks. Amazon proved this when they launched the Kindle Fire, the $200 eReader tablet hybrid that in 2 months has sold as many or more units than all previous Android tablets combined. HP’s Touchpad tablets sold out in minutes when they were dropped to $100-150 in HP’s inventory eliminating fire-sale. The $250 Nook Tablet has proven no slouch either, making Barnes and Noble’s nook line one of their most profitable divisions.

In order for tablet makers (including Apple) to compete, they’re going to have to continue to offer tablets for less, a point ASUS has certainly taken to heart with the MeMO 370T. The launch of the MeMO 370T was likely the biggest and best surprise of CES 2012, and we’re happy to see companies starting to offer powerful tablets at incredibly affordable prices. We hope to see this trend continue; in fact, we think it has to continue if Android tablet sales are ever going to take off.

http://androidandme.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/memo-370t-placeholder.jpeg

Source (http://androidandme.com/2012/01/devices/asus-memo-370t-could-be-a-kindle-killer-tegra-3-for-250/)

Klaus
02-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Mint.com came out with their tablet version for Honeycomb and ICS yesterday. It's a really nice app. Get it here (remote over the air install).:Mint (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mint&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5ta W50Il0.)

Mint.com is the best personal finance site IMO. It connects to all your account and does a really good job of putting your expenses into categories.

http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/zdnet-intuit-android-mint-app.jpg

Eric
02-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Damn, you need to spend more on entertainment. :)

Klaus
03-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Refurb Kindle Fires on sale $139

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/discussion/A3EDEHCUHY7K39/?ie=UTF8&tag=celebrityslid-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957

Klaus
06-29-2012, 09:59 AM
If you scroll up a few posts you will see the Asus Memo I posted about in Feb.... Google like it so much they paid Asus to make it into the Google 7 tablet (July release) for $199 plus a $25 credit to the google play store.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EPLpHev1YnQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Eric
07-03-2012, 11:00 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/11/netflix-new-android-ui.jpg

I just noticed this. Looks like whoever was watching "Pitch Black" got barely past the halfway point. But what about the incredible acting and mind-blowing finale? Lawl