PDA

View Full Version : Green Zone

Ender
01-25-2011, 01:20 PM
I am a little bit behind on my movie watching, but finally got around to watching Green Zone last night. Excellent movie. Lots of action and Matt Damon is as good or better in this one as he was in Bourne in that type of role.

4.5/5

A little factual reference for you about the movie... while the plot as a whole in the movie is not entirely true, the idea of it in that we went to war over misinformation from an unconfirmed informant about WMDs is entirely true. In the movie the code name for the informant is "Magellan" and it ends up being a fake informant fabricated by the US government to say that the information about WMDs is based on a real and credible source. (this was probably done in the movie because it has a more dramatic impact)

However, what actually happened was there was a real Iraqi named Rafid Ahmed Alwan who went to school to become a chemical engineer at a university, fled Iraq to Germany because he was going to be arrested, and in order to get a visa in Germany and be able to stay there made up false claims that he had information about Iraq manufacturing chemical weapons in mobile facilities and that he worked for Iraq as a chemical engineer to help make them. He was code named "Curveball."

I suggest that after watching the movie, you google "Curveball Iraq War". Read the Wiki about him, then watch the 60 Minutes Story (http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=3450752n) that was broadast in 2007, which broke the story wide open. It is disturbing... to say the least.

The whole Bush administration and the top CIA officials that they appointed should have been hung by their balls over this... it is unforgivable. I don't care if you are a extreme conservative... if you don't see the lunacy in the events that led to the Iraq war... you are also a lunatic.

Klaus
01-25-2011, 01:28 PM
I enjoyed this movie too. Good acting and enough action to keep it interesting.

gigi
02-02-2011, 03:30 AM
I just watched this one the other night. I liked it and found it to be pretty interesting. 4/5 I say on it.

PhantomBear
02-04-2011, 12:30 AM
Technical/tactical adviser sucked in this movie. The deciding point for me was when the Infantry was too SCARED to go into the area with the minaret, while a CWO and a team from a NBC (nuclear, biological, chemical) team (not the most badass dudes in the world) assault the position WITH A SNIPER/SPOTTER...why not just take up a position and wait until the guy with the AK pops his head up and cap him then?

Plus the evil "Special Ops"/Blackwater dudes were ridiculous. They arrest the Iraqi, NOT 30 SECONDS later a fleet of Blackhawks lands and takes him away....I can't wait until I see Indiana Jones fighting Blackwater/Special Ops evil dudes, or until Wolfenstein 4 is you killing Blackwater/Special Ops dudes in FPS format. They have become the war movie's new Nazis.

My geek comedy bit goes a little like this: "somewhere there are a couple of middle class parents bragging about how their son got selected for an elite posting on a really modern military assignment. They have his picture on their dresser and all kinds of souvenirs from the awesome places he went- the desert, the jungle. Then they get the notice that their son was killed by some terrorists who blew up their incredibly modern and invincible ship. It wasn't until they saw Return of the Jedi that they realized their son was inherently evil.

The same thing could be said about any of those single guy against the government movies/books. The guys protecting the evil Senator at his camp when Jason Bourne and Mitch Rapp stab him in the throat with a knife aren't evil, they're just Government employees trying to make their 25 years and retirement. In fact, I bet they had to apply to get the great Protection Detail of that evil Senator, just to get stabbed in the eye or blown up by an old pissed off Vet.

One day, I hope a dude from Black Forest (The A-Team) comes out on top of these loveable rebels.